Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
For me, the only necessary red card of the evening was the last one - an absolute disgrace.

Which I believe should have been a straight red irrespective of if he had already been booked. I sometimes think ref's bottle a straight red if a player is on a yellow already.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Looking at that replay i cannot see anything indicating Stephens was in the wrong. Ref made the right decision. Fletcher had lost control as did Hutchinson. They were completely livid that they threw the game.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
No way any retrospective action can be taken. The ref saw it all as he was only yards away

That is @ollocks. If Stephens has committed violent conduct (which I'm pretty sure he has not)
The referee has not seen it (or a card would have been produced)
So action can be taken.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
That is @ollocks. If Stephens has committed violent conduct (which I'm pretty sure he has not)
So action can be taken.

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm certain we asked for action against Barton and it failed.

Wednesday will 100% percent do same for Stephens but doesn't seem to have done a lot wrong so surely would fail.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So action can be taken.

I watched several replays, and Stephens did raise his arm, but it was a defensive move, not a forearm smash, as some are trying to make out.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looked to me like the whole thing was caused by a late swipe of the leg by Flether - a late tackle type thing. You can just see it off the ball.

As for what the OP said - I really don't remember us doing anything of the sort with Barton - does anybody else remember this? In fact are clubs even allowed to do this? It's up to the FA isn't it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I watched several replays, and Stephens did raise his arm, but it was a defensive move, not a forearm smash, as some are trying to make out.

Forearm smash? You obviously watched too much wrestling before the football results back in the day. I haven't head that expression for decades! Mick McManus and other dirty wrestlers. How "fixed" did that used to be! Loved it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly my thoughts.

I'm certain we asked for action against Barton and it failed.

Wednesday will 100% percent do same for Stephens but doesn't seem to have done a lot wrong so surely would fail.

We definitely didn't. The FA did ask us though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Checked the incident out.

Fletcher takes a swing at an imaginary ball on the half volley, after the actual ball had departed some time before. This catches Stephens which is why he reacts and shoves Fletcher as he rises.

There's no 'punch' and the correct decision was made re. sending off, though Dale should probably have been booked.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The FA asked us if we wanted action taken against Barton and we said no? Really? Find that very hard to believe on numerous accounts.

Got an email from the FA, as I complained as I was so angry at the time (yes I don't get out much). The referee's assessor asked us if we wanted to report it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Fletcher put his head against Stephens, so technically a head button and a sending off.

But it's all a bit dumb. When did football stop being a man's game where a ref could just tell both players to sort themselves out, enough handbags or they'll be off next time?

For me, the only necessary red card of the evening was the last one - an absolute disgrace.

And according to the referee that WASN'T worthy of a red and only a yellow! Sent off as he had already picked up a yellow earlier on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here