Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Congratulations to NEWCASTLE UNITED thread?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Maybe not if we were the only club with such a clause - they'd just go elsewhere.

Far more sensible is a 48 hour rule - i.e. no alcohol 48 hours prior to any match or training session - which I would expect most pros to self-adhere to anyway.

If one club were to introduce this then the rest would follow as I am sure that they all know who their regular offenders are.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Re Newcastle: comparing their fans behaviour on here with that of Boro fans last season (including those posts that never made it as far as the BB), I've formed the view that they're a classy bunch - mostly, they've stayed off NSC entirely - those that haven't have been congratulatory, conciliatory, & classy.

^ This.

I remember leaving by bus after a 4-0 home defeat to the Toon three years ago. The masses of Newcastle fans had left cheerfully with dignity, and I heard a grandfather explaining solemnly to several youngsters that while you should have pride in a great victory, you should always have respect for your opponent and never glory over them, that was the Newcastle way. If generations of fans have been raised the same way, then that explains a great deal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newcastle - the same as our encounters with Liverpool over the years. Decent football fans, wishing us well if we get a result, no nasty arrogance if they win.

Newcastle gave us every opportunity to win the title, we didn't take them, so the final table didn't lie.

The best two teams by some distance got auto promoted.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I live in Oxford and there are two Newcastle fans in my office. They are genuinely bemused by our capitulation in the title stakes. They reckon that we handed the title to them on a plate.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I live in Oxford and there are two Newcastle fans in my office. They are genuinely bemused by our capitulation in the title stakes. They reckon that we handed the title to them on a plate.

they're right.

We got over excited by our promotion. and after what we have been through I don't think anyone can blame us. what we have achieved in the last 20 years is nothing short of incredible. We couldn't put the cherry on the cake and that is disappointing but the club, mananger and staff have been magnificent this season and that will have to do us.

Newcastle are a bigger club with bigger expectations and they didn't allow themselves to go loopy after promotion and kept their eye on the prize. And so they should they are a Premier League club who underachieved last year and have righted the wrong this season.

Congratulations to them.

Last edited:

CRTB

May 7, 2017
^ This.

I remember leaving by bus after a 4-0 home defeat to the Toon three years ago. The masses of Newcastle fans had left cheerfully with dignity, and I heard a grandfather explaining solemnly to several youngsters that while you should have pride in a great victory, you should always have respect for your opponent and never glory over them, that was the Newcastle way. If generations of fans have been raised the same way, then that explains a great deal.

Again, I can't speak for all Newcastle fans and we've certainly got some utter knackers in our ranks (but then which club doesn't?), but for the most part, we're fans who've seen a lot of ups and downs. We've had some great nights, couple of cup finals, beating Barcelona in the Champions League and being on top of the Premier League under Keegan, but that fell apart and hardly any of us remember us actually winning anything of note (1955 was our last domestic trophy) and we've equally seen what it's like to be fighting at the wrong end plenty of the time.

We go to matches with hope, not expectation. Most of us have made long trips back from horrible defeats and know exactly how awful that feels. Personally I'd never rub that in to any other fans with the possible exception of Sunderland, but even then I just pity them right now because I have a lot of good mates who are Sunderland fans and I know just how bad a predicament they're in right now as their finances are destroyed.

Still, now the dust has settled and we've all sobered up, I guess finishing 2nd is a bit of a first world problem, eh? So congratulations. As I said previously in here, I'm glad you're up, you deserve it, and I appreciate the time many of you have taken to say well done to us as this thread has made its way to Newcastle forums (which is how I found it) so your sentiments and kind words have not gone unnoticed by us. Hughton had us safely in mid-table after promotion when Ashley decided to get rid of him for that horrible gobsh#te Pardew, so I know he can do the same for you and I sincerely hope he does.

vonprond

May 8, 2017
Can I return the compliment. I am a Newcastle supporter who has joined this Forum to say how much I have appreciated the way in which Brighton & Hove Albion competed with us this year. It was a really interesting contest, and you ran us very close - I expected you to win the title and would not have been sad (too much!) if you had. I really respect your club, your team, your manager (we also love Chris Hughton), and your supporters. You are worthy members of the Premier League, and I will enjoy NUFC competing with you next year, and I genuinely hope we both stay up!

Camilla Highwater

Apr 16, 2017
From the beginning of the season until the end, if you'd asked Newcastle fans which other team we'd like to go up besides us, Brighton would have won comfortably. Mainly because of Honorary Geordie Chris Hughton, who was a great manager for us before being stupidly mistreated by Ashley and co. But also because of your barely-believable "back from the brink" story, and the way you got through the "no stadium" years, and last season's heartbreak. Brighton is a hard club not to like. When you're accustomed to following a chronically mismanaged club like NUFC, it's pleasing to see a club like Brighton making an ambitious-but-realistic long-term plan, following through on it consistently season by season, and eventually succeeding. And behaving with class while doing so.

While I celebrated our unexpected title on Sunday, it was a pity to see Brighton players and fans so gutted on the last day of what in reality has been a stunningly triumphant season. To most neutrals looking back on this Championship season, the lead story is the culmination of Brighton's drive back to the top flight, not Newcastle rectifying last year's McClaren catastrophe. Hope you've already got over it and moved on.

Fans of Sunderland and other clubs scoff at our season, and say that Newcastle, with all its resources and other advantages, should have walked the Championship. Actually, despite a couple of wobbles, the table shows that, in the end, we did pretty much did walk the Championship . . . but so did Brighton.

Congratulations to you. Although we pipped you to the title by a single point, your achievement was greater than ours. Best of luck next season.

vonprond

May 8, 2017
From one Newcastle supporter to another - totally agree with all of that! Let's hope NUFC and BHAFC both thrive in the premiership!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Tbh I'm looking forward to another weekend in Newcastle

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here