Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sprained ankle to report. Went to A&E today as it's pretty painful and swollen but x-rays showed no break thankfully. Been given crutches and looks like a week at leat off running. Quite relieved as I really thought I'd done something last night and got a DNF in the beer mile!

Get well soon [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and everyone else on the injury bench.

Plenty to (hopefully) look forward to next year on the running front for us all so make the most of the downtime and get fully rested and recovered. Having done a slowish 10k this morning, I'm off for parkrun #202 at Hove Park tomorrow with my niece (who is a lot quicker than she was LAST time she ran it), and half tempted to go in my festive clobber, but I fear she'll disown me before we even get there!

Have a great Christmas, everyone.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Get well soon [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and everyone else on the injury bench.

Plenty to (hopefully) look forward to next year on the running front for us all so make the most of the downtime and get fully rested and recovered. Having done a slowish 10k this morning, I'm off for parkrun #202 at Hove Park tomorrow with my niece (who is a lot quicker than she was LAST time she ran it), and half tempted to go in my festive clobber, but I fear she'll disown me before we even get there!

Have a great Christmas, everyone.

Congratulations to your neice on smashing her PB and glad that she agreed that despite your beard you do manage to look feminine in your Santa hat.
Second run back for me knocking 2 minutes off last week to get 25:30. If I keep up this progression I'll be running 15:30 by the end of January:lol: I may even start some training soon.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Congratulations to your neice on smashing her PB and glad that she agreed that despite your beard you do manage to look feminine in your Santa hat.
Second run back for me knocking 2 minutes off last week to get 25:30. If I keep up this progression I'll be running 15:30 by the end of January[emoji38] I may even start some training soon.
Ha ha! Cheers [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - glad you had a good run. You leave my Santa hat alone... 😉

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've now managed to run every 2 days for over a week, though the longest distance has been 4.5 miles, which I managed this morning. The knee still isn't quite right but it's not getting worse and my running is getting more frequent, longer and quicker.

Hope everyone else's injuries clear up soon and here's a Merry Christmas to you all & hopefully a happy running new year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
PB at Tilgate Parkrun today by 1 second, to 20:15 with a big fat Santa hat, a sore back, and having already eaten and drunk too much Christmassy foods!! I may carry on with this kind of rigourous training over the next week or so ��

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Second run back for me knocking 2 minutes off last week to get 25:30. If I keep up this progression I'll be running 15:30 by the end of January[emoji38] I may even start some training soon.
Mills came second in her age category. She is really chuffed!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Tried some hill training today by running (jogging) up and down part of Bear Road 4 times, which is about a 120ft elevation gain over about 300 m. Is that a reasonable effort, any other suggestions for a hilly route around Brighton?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The upper drive hove is a firm favourite, up and down or around the block

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tried some hill training today by running (jogging) up and down part of Bear Road 4 times, which is about a 120ft elevation gain over about 300 m. Is that a reasonable effort, any other suggestions for a hilly route around Brighton?

Devil's Dyke to Truleigh Hill return is perfect. Soft, wet ground good for joints. Couple of hard hills and a couple of half hard hills. 50% downhill recovery time. Beautiful scenery. No cars. Relaxing. Excellent hill intervals at 4 miles but can be extended as long as you can run.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Any combination of Woodland Drive and Snakey (king George VI) for me. Use Hove Park to warm up/ warm down and both hills can be built into a circuit - up one and down the other and then the reverse.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Really depends what you're looking towards....as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] says it's difficult to beat an undulating run on the South Downs way which is just brilliant for building strength and endurance and working other muscles, but obviously it'll be rough underfoot, potentially muddy and the inclines will be varied in length and gradient (one or two barely runnable).

If you want a straightforward repeatable hill session find something that will take you 3-5 mins to run up, and do it hard....then jog very easily on the way back down to recover and repeat 4-6 times. You should be quite close to 'vomiting threshold' at the top of each climb. You can combine the two of course - 20 min warm up jog on the Downs to a suitable hill, then do the repeats there.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Anyone else do an Xmas Day parkrun? Bognor for me. Not great; always a difficult course and struggled to a 22:17, only to find that the 'official' timing was, in error, a season's worst 22.40. But never mind.
Been out a couple of times since. Seen one or two 'New Year's joggers' and good luck to them. Will be trying for 3 parkruns in 2 days over New Year.

My best year (at 61!) in terms of quantity - over 40 races. Got some nice running gear for Xmas.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

From memory Bear Road is a steeper than the hills I use so I'd say it seems okay. Do you run all the way to the top?

FYI part of my marathon training I do a fair bit of hill training and during the 4 months build up from "1 mile flat warm up, 6 reps of a 2 minute run up a hill and jog back to bottom, a 1 mile flat cool down" to the same but with 14 reps. This is in the context of building up my stamina and speed for flat long distance running though but it seems to work well for me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Managed a near 8 minute mile this morning, which was an issue as I was supposed to be running 9 minute miles (I've already confessed to coach, [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION])

Also got yelled at by [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] which was a nice reversal to last year. Must be marathon training season.....

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
From memory Bear Road is a steeper than the hills I use so I'd say it seems okay. Do you run all the way to the top?

FYI part of my marathon training I do a fair bit of hill training and during the 4 months build up from "1 mile flat warm up, 6 reps of a 2 minute run up a hill and jog back to bottom, a 1 mile flat cool down" to the same but with 14 reps. This is in the context of building up my stamina and speed for flat long distance running though but it seems to work well for me.

I run up for about 200 meters, back down and then up again.

Thanks for the suggestions Knocky, Dazza, Sim and Tim. A drive up to Devil's Dyke will make a nice change to my seafront route.

Whose Michael on the strava group, man or machine?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone else do an Xmas Day parkrun? Bognor for me. Not great; always a difficult course and struggled to a 22:17, only to find that the 'official' timing was, in error, a season's worst 22.40. But never mind.
Been out a couple of times since. Seen one or two 'New Year's joggers' and good luck to them. Will be trying for 3 parkruns in 2 days over New Year.

My best year (at 61!) in terms of quantity - over 40 races. Got some nice running gear for Xmas.

Good luck on competing all the holiday Parkruns. I'll be drinking late Friday to hopefully console a Welsh mate. So no double Hove run for me. Prom at 9 and Park at 10:30. Looking forward to returning to Parkrun in 2017.

Been a good year for me too. Quantity most ever. Quality, best AG since 1971 and three good runs at Hasting's Half, Phoenix 10k and Hasting's Parkrun. Best fun run the Three Fort's Challenge. Longest holiday from running for a while, 4 months from August.

Plan for next year is to get back in slowly. I may even infiltrate the cycling geeks as part of a cross training plan.

In fact if any runners want a sprint triathlon challenge in May or June, I'm prepared to take up the gauntlet.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I run up for about 200 meters, back down and then up again.

Thanks for the suggestions Knocky, Dazza, Sim and Tim. A drive up to Devil's Dyke will make a nice change to my seafront route.

Whose Michael on the strava group, man or machine?

I messaged Michael hoping to find he had no place in the Strava group. No such luck he is Albion through and through. Certainly more machine than man.
Enjoy the mud.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I messaged Michael hoping to find he had no place in the Strava group. No such luck he is Albion through and through. Certainly more machine than man.
Enjoy the mud.

I remember Michael being on the original Seagulls mailing list back in the day. Had no idea he was THAT good though. As marathon season approaches I guess we are all competing for 2nd place / age grading :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here