Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A REAL manager........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The league table never lies we are where we are because Bloom forgot to sign another striker to replace Ulloa.

This is it. We are generally OK at the back and starting to look good in midfield with Stephens and Kayal in particular. Any defensive errors - be it Dunk (who has made several), Greer, Bennett, Stockdale or anyone else are massively magnified because we aren't scoring at all. Losing Baldock was unfortunate as he seemed to finding his feet a bit when he got injured but Best and CMS are simply nowhere near good enough. COG can at least hold the ball up, but with no-one supporting that's not much use either. We need a 20-goal striker and one or two 10-goal midfielders - like all promotion-chasing clubs will have.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Let's get Oscar back and give him some cash!

What concerns me is that half our side are loanees. Last night Halford, Bennett, Carayol, Tex and Best. 5 of the 11 are not our own players. And what message/effect on motivation does that have to our guys that don't make the squad?

There certainly doesn't seem to be a harmony, fluidity about us. We even lack a fight that can make an average side into a good one (Burnley for instance)

I'm hoping ch can shape a reasonable team in the summer but I've an inkling that the sides he took out of the championship had a far more lavish squad that we will at this level. That said I look at the nucleus of what we do have and think that if we can supremely them with some shrewd signings then we may well compete. Let's just limp over the line this season and then regroup...

Oh- and Leon Best... If you want the guy to put in a shift, get behind him while he's here. Oddly he got a few ripples of applause when he did chase back last night.... And then resoundly booed on his substitution. If he's here... Let's make sure we try and get the best out of him. He wasn't great last night but did nothing to warrant quite that abuse.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Let's get Oscar back and give him some cash!

What concerns me is that half our side are loanees. Last night Halford, Bennett, Carayol, Tex and Best. 5 of the 11 are not our own players. And what message/effect on motivation does that have to our guys that don't make the squad?

There certainly doesn't seem to be a harmony, fluidity about us. We even lack a fight that can make an average side into a good one (Burnley for instance)

I'm hoping ch can shape a reasonable team in the summer but I've an inkling that the sides he took out of the championship had a far more lavish squad that we will at this level. That said I look at the nucleus of what we do have and think that if we can supremely them with some shrewd signings then we may well compete. Let's just limp over the line this season and then regroup...

Oh- and Leon Best... If you want the guy to put in a shift, get behind him while he's here. Oddly he got a few ripples of applause when he did chase back last night.... And then resoundly booed on his substitution. If he's here... Let's make sure we try and get the best out of him. He wasn't great last night but did nothing to warrant quite that abuse.
Yeah OK we'll arrange that. Have you got his number? I mean he wanted to stay didn't he? Or maybe get Poyet back. Why not Mullery, he's available?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There were several periods under both Gus and Oscar when people on here would have been salivating over 16 shots on goal. I am not sure we can blame CH for the fact that the players do not appear to be able to shoot straight when playing a match (I am sure they all can in training). After all, they couldn't shoot straight before CH was appointed either.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Very harsh to guide him with the shower of shit he has inherited. He has to be given the summer and cash to build his own squad.

He has done something that no Brighton manager has for a while, and finally got a solid midfield. All he needs is to replace everything else (expect the keepers and Dunk) and we'll be fine!

sounds a lot like our previous manager really

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If we sign Best it will go to show that TB is no longer in charge, and CH knows **** all about scoring goals.

We pretty much know the second point is true, let's hope the first one is not.

CH is getting found out, he may think he knows how to set up a defense (questionable) but he doesn't seem to know how to coach a creative midfield, and he is clueless when it comes to setting up an attacking force. So long as Best and CMS form part Of a matchday squad, you can rest assured he does not know what he is doing.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
But he didn't inherit Best did he? He brought in his mate as our saviour. That's worked well! If that's the quality of his judgement maybe he is a manager who shouldn't be having much of a say when it comes to summer recruitment.

But you can balance out Best with Kayal who oozes quality, and has been partly responsible for our relative "safety". Lets not judge CH on one player.

If we want a manager with passion and who knows this division maybe we should go for Ian Holloway.:moo:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
That's a bit harsh. Hughton's main objective when he was appointed was, I would imagine, that the club did not get relegated. The fact that he has to manage a team of players whose quality falls way short of the club's ambitions is not his fault. In other words trying to make silk purses out of sows ears.

Barring an absolute disaster he has achieved that aim. It is next season, after a huge summer of overhauling the playing staff, will we be able to judge, and criticise, his management style. For the moment we have to endure horrible football, but at least we know that it is temporary - and most importantly keeps us in this division.
Who knows how it would have panned out in the longer term but Nathan Jones got us winning with a different mentality in just a couple of games - and got the crowd going too!!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
But you can balance out Best with Kayal who oozes quality, and has been partly responsible for our relative "safety". Lets not judge CH on one player.

If we want a manager with passion and who knows this division maybe we should go for Ian Holloway.:moo:

You are obviously correct that CH shouldn't be judged on one player but while Best is definitely a Hughton appointment I am sure that he would have nothing to do with finding Kayal and that would have been good work by our own scouting department!

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Most of them were part of a play off squad the previous year so not sure how he is trying to make silk purses out of sows ears

Ince for Bridcutt, many will argue is a straight swap ... Buckley was in and out for the most part and never recreated the form of season #1. JFC still doing it for U21's. Arguabely Tex and Kayal have strengthened us too. We def miss Ulloa but how many would he score in this side?

I'm in the camp that our problems are down to Management, .. likely all of coaching, tactics, selections and simple motivation

Shuffling the pack and just replacing the players isn't the answer imo

I'm with you and stated when he (CH) arrived he was a poor choice. I just hope I'm wrong.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
His team selection and sub's are sometimes Questionable.

And very predictable...
Lua Lua for Carayol
CMS for Best
like for like with no change in team pattern.
Huddersfield were coping with us before these changes so therefore they had no impact whatsoever, again.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Is the OP seriously suggesting Carlo Ancellotti would want to come in and manage the Albion?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
At the risk of labouring the point - this is not Hughtons team. He has inherited a patched-up shower of shit, and has just about steered it away from the L1 abyss that Hyypia was driving us into.

Were you seriously expecting someone to come in and have this hopeless mob driving remorselessly up the table ? This season has been a complete write-off. The best Hughton can be expected do is ensure we're still in this league next season, which he is on course to achieve. Then its time for a clearout. Then its time for Hughton to start building.

Judge him on next season.

Agree with that, but it is worrying that it was he that bought in Best.

However, he did also bring in Kayal, who I would like to see as Captain next season.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What I really don't agree with is the whole 'Don't judge him till next season' argument. As soon as you start the job there are different performance levels (for example: exceed, meets or fails to meet expectations). The expectations should vary depending as the job varies - e.g. they may be lower at the beginning to accommodate Sami's poor squad etc. But it's still a target to aim for.

He needs to do LOTS better next year, IMO.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Try to make some sense?!
I want a team that fights and battles for every ball - this team doesn't and has not a single 'leader' in tonights starting line-up! Unless you can name one??!!

Potential 'leader' s in 2015-16:

1) Kayal
2) Stephens
3) Halford

All three didn't stop last night.
I'd have Bruno or Calde as captain too. They didn't stop running last night either.

Bennett played well too.

The rest, less so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah OK we'll arrange that. Have you got his number? I mean he wanted to stay didn't he? Or maybe get Poyet back. Why not Mullery, he's available?
As much as I have rallied against NSC never looking beyond previous Albion employees, there is a part of me that thinks Oscar was very much the right man at exactly the wrong time.

I can't help thinking, if lessons have been learned by all parties concerned, Oscar would be my ideal manager going into next season.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
As much as I have rallied against NSC never looking beyond previous Albion employees, there is a part of me that thinks Oscar was very much the right man at exactly the wrong time.

I can't help thinking, if lessons have been learned by all parties concerned, Oscar would be my ideal manager going into next season.
why is THIS the right time?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
why is THIS the right time?
Because we've seen what he's capable of doing when we've been lead to believe x, y & z is going to hell in a handcart.
As said if lessons have been learned, all round, now would be a great time to come in and shape a 'new' team.

Hopefully CH is the man, Kayal suggests he might be, everyone else coming in say otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here