Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What are you, 12?

To be fair he was responding to a poster who is posting ever more erratic, swearly and insultingly with no modicum of a structured argument. He also has some dimwit campaign to try and get everyone to use the ignore function against anyone they disagree with. Followed to it's logical conclusion it would make NSC rather pointless !

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Well this is more the sort of language I'd associate with the wartime resistance movements or liberation rhetoric. But if you really think this is the case with our relationship with the EU, then I guess you see it as an absolute, categorical imperative. Blimey.
At the end of the day it just seems to be about fishing in our own waters and not much more. You must have spent the last 50 years while we have been under the iron heel of the EU oppressor feeling very uncomfortable. Let's see what freedom tastes like: dismantle the barricades and breathe the pure air of the truly free. (There might not be much else to do anyway!) :)

Pretty much the sort of response i expected.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You ruminants keep on about building an Irish border,but we already have one in place,the Irish Sea.There are hundreds of thousands of movements through the British land bridge and if they get slowed down by 'no deal' that's the Republics problem,not ours.It's their docks that will get swamped,their economy that needs to use our ports and roads,and it's about time that little gnome in Dublin faced up to it.

They're doing plenty of no deal contingency work in Dublin though. The Port of Dublin is being extended and the world’s largest short sea roll-on roll-off vessel has been brought into service to bypass the need to use Welsh ports and the British land bridge to Europe for example. A no deal will certainly hurt them as it will hurt us, but we're the ones leaving and they're the ones getting ready for it by putting in infrastructure, not the other way round. Strange.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You ruminants keep on about building an Irish border,but we already have one in place,the Irish Sea.

Do keep up: that was the suggestion that was proposed back in December but the DUP had a hissy fit about it and as May needs them to support her, the Irish Sea border was quietly shelved.

I agree that it's the most obvious solution but it will never happen as long as May needs DUP support.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
They're doing plenty of no deal contingency work in Dublin though. The Port of Dublin is being extended and the world’s largest short sea roll-on roll-off vessel has been brought into service to bypass the need to use Welsh ports and the British land bridge to Europe for example. A no deal will certainly hurt them as it will hurt us, but we're the ones leaving and they're the ones getting ready for it by putting in infrastructure, not the other way round. Strange.

I know they have a couple of new ro-ro's coming on stream for the Holland route,but well short of anywhere near what they would need.Perhaps nobody has told Varadkar the scale of the problem he could be facing.That,and EU politics,are the only reasons I can see for his attitude.:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good. Fewer lorries thundering across the UK from the Welsh ports to Harwich/Dover/the Channel Tunnel. Great benefit to the M2 and M20.

Excellent news - win;win.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do keep up: that was the suggestion that was proposed back in December but the DUP had a hissy fit about it and as May needs them to support her, the Irish Sea border was quietly shelved.

I agree that it's the most obvious solution but it will never happen as long as May needs DUP support.
Perhaps TM should have played harder ball with the DUP -support the government or we'll offer NI a separate referendum: stay in the EU as part of the Republic or leave the EU and remain part of the UK............................. Don't think the DUP would come out of that one very well!

And as you say, the Irish Sea border was/is a natural solution.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
a "reasonable" extension, still moving the goal posts??? ……………….. "no deal is better than a a bad deal" bye bye EU
regards
DR
No deal is worse than a good deal
No deal is worse than an average deal
No deal is worse than a slightly bad deal
No deal is worse than a fairly bad deal
No deal is worse than a bad deal - possibly, possibly not

No deal is better than a suicidally bad deal.... for sure.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Good. Fewer lorries thundering across the UK from the Welsh ports to Harwich/Dover/the Channel Tunnel. Great benefit to the M2 and M20.

Excellent news - win;win.

Exactly - They'll be enough problems in Kent with Operation Stack/Operation Brock in permanent force in a no deal scenario and no lorry parks built or any other infrastructure that's required, so every little helps I suppose.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Perhaps TM should have played harder ball with the DUP -support the government or we'll offer NI a separate referendum: stay in the EU as part of the Republic or leave the EU and remain part of the UK

Just a small point - the Republic might want a say in that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Any sign of this "Good Deal"? No, thought not. It was never going to happen, the British voters have been lied to and sold a pup.

"Red, White and Blue Brexit" my arse. Cameron should be strung up for foisting this non-existent choice of "In or Out?" upon the nation's electorate.

I put it to NSC that had "Norway" been an option on the ballot paper it would have garnered less than 10% of the voted, AND YET this is the way May is heading.

UK Party politics is now in tatters, all trust has broken down. Utter, utter shambles.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Just a small point - the Republic might want a say in that.

But other than that, there wouldn't be any other problems with a referendum in Northern Ireland on Irish unification would there? All the nice people in the Unionist community in Northern Ireland would be well up for it and the referendum and the aftermath would all go smoothly and they'd love being Irish citizens, not British afterwards. It's not as if anyone might get violent or anything. :rolleyes:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps TM should have played harder ball with the DUP -support the government or we'll offer NI a separate referendum: stay in the EU as part of the Republic or leave the EU and remain part of the UK............................. Don't think the DUP would come out of that one very well!

And as you say, the Irish Sea border was/is a natural solution.

Whilst we don't share the same views on Brexit, I agree 100% on your view that TM should have done this with the DUP.

Bloody DUP. Talk about the tail wagging the dog!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seems a number of Tory MPs have had it with Mogg, telling him to shut up.

Steady on KG. Rees Mogg is a backbencher (of no importance whatsoever).

As far as I am aware, he appointed himself as "the voice of Brexit" once Farage jumped ship to follow the cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here