Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To think, some people, in the Vuelta fantasy league...

..."nearly picked Frank Schleck for a laugh"

:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You have, thanks!

Out of interest, who is Jon H? He's extremely kind with the Kudos, thanks to you as well!

Motogull.

There is a section on the Strava Geeks discussion page where a few of us have revealed our secret identities.
I get quite titsy that it isn't compulsory for all new geeks.

To think, some people, in the Vuelta fantasy league...

..."nearly picked Frank Schleck for a laugh"

:lolol:

I promise I genuinely thought 'but what if he does well, I'll look a right mooie'.
I then had a little chuckle. :lolol: :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Geeks, I know its a while since I posted but I was wondering if I could ask for some advice please.

I'm in the market for an upgrade from my aluminium Tiagra spec'd BMC. This is likely to be my last bike purchase for quite some time so I wanted something that would be a worthwhile upgrade from my BMC and have some longevity.

I was thinking carbon but then what spec to go for? Ultegra as its a decent upgrade from the Tiagra? Has anyone tried the electronic shifting Ultegra groupset?

My day-to-day about London bike is a Genesis so I started by looking at their zero range which has an identical frame from entry through to the pro bike.

I know I need to try as many different bikes as possible but wondered whether the Geeks could recommend anything I should try, or any other pearls of wisdom really.

Cheers all.

Both my main riding buddies have upgraded to Ultegra, neither can heap enough praise on the brakes.

It's hard to know what you're after without a budget, but there are plenty of heavily discounted 2015 models on the market.
Cross referencing on-line buyers guides can be a useful tool, although they do seem to find it difficult to really stick the boot into a bike irrespective as to how much of a dog it is.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Both my main riding buddies have upgraded to Ultegra, neither can heap enough praise on the brakes.

It's hard to know what you're after without a budget, but there are plenty of heavily discounted 2015 models on the market.
Cross referencing on-line buyers guides can be a useful tool, although they do seem to find it difficult to really stick the boot into a bike irrespective as to how much of a dog it is.
Yes, would be good to know budget so we can all pretend to be spending someone else's money! [emoji6]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm. Ultegra specced, I'm thinking 1500-2000!
Electronic shifting, I'm not getting out of bed for less than 2500.

Admittedly I'm just going to send him to Canyon so it's a bit of a moot point.
Esp as [MENTION=17592]pcol[/MENTION] currently rides a BMC, so we don't have to worry about things like style and design :lol:

(we kid because we love)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I promise I genuinely thought 'but what if he does well, I'll look a right mooie'.
I then had a little chuckle. :lolol: :facepalm:

Oh, was it you then SB, I had no idea, honest Guv :wink: :)

Good to hear you're back on the bike. I'm going to go for it tomorrow myself hopefully. The Friday night club ride route with a couple of others all being well, so nothing too testing too early. I've blown the dust off the Bryton and put it on charge, and that will be weird too as been riding commutes for months on end now without any care for looking at a computer.

Now that Summer is behind us I'm hoping that will be the motivation I need to get back out there on decent rides again.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks for the comments geeks.

Yes, probably should've mentioned the budget in the first post! Around 2k, although I could be tempted up if it was worth my while. I've seen a couple of bikes with Di2 on offer for £2200.

My mate has just bought a Canyon, he's still waiting for it to arrive 6 weeks later. He's sure it'll be worth the wait.

And on the BMC's style, i'm still not sure on the triple-triangle set-up of the frame but it does give a pretty stiff ride with decent acceleration. Having never ridden a carbon bike i'm intriged to see the difference. I think i'll go for a more race over comfort what ever i decide on.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Yes, probably should've mentioned the budget in the first post! Around 2k, although I could be tempted up if it was worth my while. I've seen a couple of bikes with Di2 on offer for £2200.

My mate has just bought a Canyon, he's still waiting for it to arrive 6 weeks later. He's sure it'll be worth the wait.

And on the BMC's style, i'm still not sure on the triple-triangle set-up of the frame but it does give a pretty stiff ride with decent acceleration. Having never ridden a carbon bike i'm intriged to see the difference. I think i'll go for a more race over comfort what ever i decide on.

What about one of these? -

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-tuono-carbon-road-bike-ultegra-6800.html

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

Love these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/de-rosa-idol-caliper-6800r4-2015/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I take it you've seen this:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-2500-43864/

One of my many irrational hang ups is the BMC triple triangle, I loathe it, they can be grateful Cannondale produced the 'leftie'.

Irrational hang up II - Fishing tackle on high end Italian bikes.
I too like the Idol but not with 'that' group set.

I'd have never looked at the Dolan, it certainly ticks your 'wheels wheels wheels' mantra IL.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I'd have never looked at the Dolan, it certainly ticks your 'wheels wheels wheels' mantra IL.

I agree - Italian=Campag.

I think the truth is that frames are mostly built on the same moulds (either the exact same ones or the same model), to similar geometry and only tweaking at the edges of other bits. Wheels differ far more in design, hubs, weight etc.

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
I take it you've seen this:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-2500-43864/

One of my many irrational hang ups is the BMC triple triangle, I loathe it, they can be grateful Cannondale produced the 'leftie'.

Although they maybe for IL, I'm not too sure about those wheels personally.

I see shimano getting a bit of hate. What do you guys have? Being relatively new to proper bikes shimano's all i know. Should i be pursuaded elsewhere? What are the benefits of Campag or SRAM?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I see shimano getting a bit of hate. What do you guys have? Being relatively new to proper bikes shimano's all i know. Should i be pursuaded elsewhere? What are the benefits of Campag or SRAM?
I ride Bianchi and Campagnolo.

As IL said we're being a little too precious as all the bikes come from the same place anyway.
Chances are I'll be riding a fishing tackle bike, this winter anyway.

Its just an 'old skool' snobby hang up, that Italian bike should be Italian specced.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Wasn't a comment on those wheels in particular but some of those bikes come with Fulcrum 3s (£300 with tyres on wiggle) rather than something with decent carbon wheels. I have fulcrum 3s and Token C580a wheelsets - the difference feels a lot and there are definitely more responsive carbon wheels out there.

We (mostly me and SB) slag off Shimano but it works very well - most pro teams use it after all, but it isn't particularly cool. Campag has its Italian (and slightly snobby) connections whilst SRAM is newer and, apparently, excellent value for money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here