Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby sack Paul Clement

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
How long has Chris Hughton got left? results are not bad, but as promotion is not essential, there as been a few boring games.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bizarre. This has all the hallmarks of player power. Derby's results were fantastic for three whole months, and every team in this division is going to have a wobble because the season is so long.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unbelievable.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
By rookie do you mean first season in the job or without Championship experience beforehand? Would Dyche meet the criteria?

Edit; or Howe? Or the Watford guy?

Howe certainly wouldn't. Bournemouth's promotion season was his second season in the Championship with them and he had previously been in the Championship as Burnley's manager.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I can understand why it may look like that from the outside but just like you will have a different view on Hughton week in week out - Derby have very very rarely played well this season, says more about the league than our performances that we got to the top at one point, but last couple of months have been very very poor and the selections have suggested that he was nowhere close to knowing what he is first team was. It's definitely a shame though, and a little confusing.

The club as a whole is an amazing position, hopefully this is just a little blip....

When we had our megablip, the one thing we didn't vary was our belief that Hughton is the right man for the job.

This does look very, very odd from Derby. Not so much that they've sacked Clement but they have gambled on an internal appointment. It doesn't fit with the £££ player approach.

PG

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Copied from a BTL comment on The Guardian's report.....
"Almost all signings have been questionable, but it's equally questionable as to how much of a say Clement's had on them. I really hope academy products such as Hendrick and Hughes don't end up out the door",

Made me think of Oscar and Sami - common denominator? Burke

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Howe certainly wouldn't. Bournemouth's promotion season was his second season in the Championship with them and he had previously been in the Championship as Burnley's manager.
I completely forgot about his time at Burnley. Good shout.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bizarre. This has all the hallmarks of player power. Derby's results were fantastic for three whole months, and every team in this division is going to have a wobble because the season is so long.

I'm not sure it has all the hallmarks of player power, but I agree, it is bizarre and there must be more to it than meets the eye. Player power is certainly one possible reason, no idea what manner of other reasons it could be - anyone's guess I suppose.

You could almost read that club statement as if he's been sacked for over achieving as they might go up at this rate when that's not what they want this season :lol:

Just seems weird all round. Derby fans must be scratching their heads on this one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I guess these sacked managers gain compensation for their sacking,for all i know they built that into their annual income. I just wonder if managers could only be replaced out of season what would the outcome be ?......( Yes OK with SH we would now be in League 1,i know )

If they're sacked, they'll have their contracts paid up.......if it's 'mutual consent', probably means a financial compromise has been met and if they resign, probably get nothing.

Odd decision based on their season so far. Chairman appears to be a looney.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Derby are a laughing stock, their sense of entitlement is staggering.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Darren Wassell has a good rep as a coach and you would imagine the transition will be fairly seamless.
Interesting that since their bad run began a lot of people have been saying they were persisting with big money signings despite their form dipping. As soon as some of them were dropped to the bench in response Clements gets sacked.
Has to be issues with the relationship between board and manager. Can only say I hope they fail.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Clement made a shitload of changes Saturday. Their bench was Butterfield, Ince, Johnson, Blackman, Bent and Warnock plus a keeper. Of that lot you can bet cry baby Johnson and Ince, who seems to think he's God's Gift, wouldn't be pleased.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When we had our megablip, the one thing we didn't vary was our belief that Hughton is the right man for the job.
There's at least one idiot that doesn't apply to.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Derby are panicking.

Hull, Derby, Boro,,Wednesday, Burnley and us.

6 teams, three places. Some of those like Derby and Wednesday have spent big, and can't afford not to go up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here