Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Loving this album. Strangely moving. They've really stepped up a gear here. Looking fwd to Corn Exchnge gig.

I honestly thought they would struggle to sound fresh on album 2 but been proved wrong. Seen them live twice and now regretting not having got Corn Exchange Tickets as think its sold out. Smoke Faries in support.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I honestly thought they would struggle to sound fresh on album 2 but been proved wrong. Seen them live twice and now regretting not having got Corn Exchange Tickets as think its sold out. Smoke Faries in support.

I actually think it is a better album as a whole than their first which had a number of strong tracks but were a bit repetitive with the weaker ones. There are a few duds though, E.V.A does sound like PSB by numbers, however, Gagarin, The Other Side and Go! are excellent, plus they avoid using the more cliched soundbites of 'Houston we have a problem' and 'one small step for man'. Sounds even better on heavy clear vinyl.

Not the only space race concept album released this week. One area PSB doesn't cover is the Soviet experiments sending dogs into space which is the theme of the album released by Sweden's Testbild! which concentrates on the story of Belka and Strelka the first living beings sent into space and to return safely. No samples here just dreamy pop numbers interspersed with synth instrumentals which owe their structure more to classical and jazz but makes up a cinematic whole.

https://soundcloud.com/kalligrammofon/testbild-dogs-in-the-sky

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I actually think it is a better album as a whole than their first which had a number of strong tracks but were a bit repetitive with the weaker ones. There are a few duds though, E.V.A does sound like PSB by numbers, however, Gagarin, The Other Side and Go! are excellent, plus they avoid using the more cliched soundbites of 'Houston we have a problem' and 'one small step for man'. Sounds even better on heavy clear vinyl.

Not the only space race concept album released this week. One area PSB doesn't cover is the Soviet experiments sending dogs into space which is the theme of the album released by Sweden's Testbild! which concentrates on the story of Belka and Strelka the first living beings sent into space and to return safely. No samples here just dreamy pop numbers interspersed with synth instrumentals which owe their structure more to classical and jazz but makes up a cinematic whole.

https://soundcloud.com/kalligrammofon/testbild-dogs-in-the-sky

Enjoying the Testbild tracks. Wonder what the significance, if any, is of having a limited edition of 249 vinyl copies of the album.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wave Pictures – ‘Great Big Flamingo Burning Moon’
I love this band to bits. For me they are the modern day equivalents of bands such as Squeeze or the Kinks with the kind of lyrics and delivery that could only be British, they have a lot of intelligence and humour in their music and they can really play their instruments. This album was a collaboration with Medway legend Billy Childish who wrote the lyrics and provided all the instruments (the band wanted an authentic 60s/70s sound). Each song is a lot of fun, the style is old-fashioned rock and roll and it’s just a great album. They’re not particularly going anywhere different with this release but I’m not sure they need to when their end product is already so good. If you’ve never heard them before and want a taster then I’d recommend listening to ‘I Could Hear the Telephone (3 Floors Above Me)’ to get a taste of what they’re like. All in all, it’s the perfect feelgood album. Highly recommended.

Gave this a quick lash on the Sonos while making the family roast. Lovely, lovely stuff. will be purchasing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went to Resident yesterday to make my first purchases of the year. Bought the Viet Cong album, which has two great songs on it (tracks 4 and 7), and the other five are decent, although nothing more. What other albums are people's favourites?
The only other album from this year I got was Ty Segall's live album, which I'm a little underwhelmed by.
Also got:
Bitches Brew, which should have been improving my life for decades
That Coffin album by Thee Oh Sees, which is good
And three I'm yet to hear"
Jon Hopkins -- LateNightTales
Aphex Twin -- Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments, Pt II
Sun Ra and his Arkestra -- In The Orbit of Ra

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Went to Resident yesterday to make my first purchases of the year. Bought the Viet Cong album, which has two great songs on it (tracks 4 and 7), and the other five are decent, although nothing more. What other albums are people's favourites?
The only other album from this year I got was Ty Segall's live album, which I'm a little underwhelmed by.
Also got:
Bitches Brew, which should have been improving my life for decades
That Coffin album by Thee Oh Sees, which is good
And three I'm yet to hear"
Jon Hopkins -- LateNightTales
Aphex Twin -- Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments, Pt II
Sun Ra and his Arkestra -- In The Orbit of Ra

Vision Fortune - Country Music
Zun Zun Egui - Shackles Gift
Phantom Band - Fears Trending

The Vision Fortune album's probably both my most played and favourite of the year. Early days yet though. I haven't really listened to a huge amount of new music, Miles Davis and Bowie have been taking up a lot of my time.

Really liking the Fort Romeau track as well. Have a feeling his album is going to be excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWlBWSO6fkk

This one from a few years ago is great as well (it's very Andrew Weatherall if you ask me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL8xhzL0pg0

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Another vote for Fears Trending by Phantom Band.
The Viet Cong album is also up there. Lots of noticeable influences- track 7 is great.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Vision Fortune - Country Music
Phantom Band - Fears Trending

The Vision Fortune album's probably both my most played and favourite of the year. Early days yet though. I haven't really listened to a huge amount of new music, Miles Davis and Bowie have been taking up a lot of my time.

Really liking the Fort Romeau track as well. Have a feeling his album is going to be excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWlBWSO6fkk

This one from a few years ago is great as well (it's very Andrew Weatherall if you ask me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL8xhzL0pg0

Thanks for this, as ever. That ZZE had gone off my radar, but it features that singer who is in Melt Yourself Down, so I'll definitely give that a go, and The Phantom Band too.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What other albums are people's favourites?

So far, my favourites have been:

The Amazing - Picture You
Dan Mangan - Club Meds
The Districts - A Flourish and a Spoil
Krill - A Distant Fist Unclenched
Marika Hackman - We Sleep At Last

...and loving the new Ghostpoet album too. Very like Tricky at his best.

mentions in despatches to Diagrams, Daniel Knox and Wave Pictures.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Dan Mangan - Club Meds

Yep - same here. Looking fed to the Komedia gig.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Dan Mangan - Club Meds

Guess you are aware Tricky is playing himself at Brighton Dome as part of the festival in May.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The first episode of the Quietus radio show was very good. Next one is today.

http://thequietus.com/articles/17328-quietus-radio-3

That new East India Youth track sounds excellent., especiallly so hot on the heels of his last album. It'll be interesting to see if XL can push him a little closer to the mainstream, he's the kind of artist that should be there. I'll definately be keeping an eye out for that Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba album as well.

Really liked the Moonlandingz track they opened with but quickly went off it when I heard who was involved. Naming your record label after a rape gag is not cool.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Guess you are aware Tricky is playing himself at Brighton Dome as part of the festival in May.

I did see that but I'm going to give it a swerve. Money is tight at the moment but also I vowed never to see him live ever again after the 20th anniversary gig of Maxinquaye at the O2 Indigo which was possibly the worst gig I've ever been to, made all the worse considering the importance that album has in my life.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My favourites have been

Viet Kong - Viet Kong
Father John Misty - I love you Honeybear
Ghost Culture - Ghost Culture
Sleater Kinney - No More Cities to Love

And I'm currently enjoying:

Mourn - Mourn
Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer
Badbadnotgood & Ghostfacekilla - SOUR SOUL
Spectres - Dying

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Still here patiently waiting for the new Kendrick album to drop. The new single is another f*cking masterpiece. He's easily the best rapper in the world right now and he'll go down in history when he's retired. He'll be talked about in the same light as Nas, Big L etc as one of the best lyricists of all time.

Kendrick & Run The Jewels both at Reading Festival?

jennifer-lawrence-fangirling-whoalawrence.gif

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The Panda Bear album is starting to stick. It's been a while.
I think PSB is going to be one of those band I'm simply not going to understand. Like BSP. Mmmm could be something in that. I don't like the Pet Shop Boys either.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That Ghostpoet album gets better with every listen. I can hear not just Tricky but he has a similar delivery to King Krule at times with the kind of "kitchen sink" subject matter (bacon sarnies, running from bailiffs...) that shows that that he's got both feet on the ground and aspires for more than bitches and bling. He comes across as such a genuinely interesting and nice person in the interviews that I've read too. Yep, I like this album a lot.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That Ghostpoet album gets better with every listen. I can hear not just Tricky but he has a similar delivery to King Krule at times with the kind of "kitchen sink" subject matter (bacon sarnies, running from bailiffs...) that shows that that he's got both feet on the ground and aspires for more than bitches and bling. He comes across as such a genuinely interesting and nice person in the interviews that I've read too. Yep, I like this album a lot.

I'm going to have to pick that up now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here