Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now, who's our biggest threat?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With Murray on fire, but only banging them in at home, would it be worth a punt in starting Hemed in a couple of away fixtures?
Is Murray missing chances away, or are we just creating fewer chances? I suspect it's the latter. He doesn't have a history of only performing at home does he?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We must just hope that we have a better Christmas and New Year than last season.

We took 3 points from 7 games. With our current injuries, I suggest it's virtually impossible to repeat that form as players will get dropped if they don't perform.

None of this lot started vs Leeds; they'll all be desperate to get back in the team.

Hemed, March, LuaLua, Bong, Rosenior, Mäenpää, Sidwell, Kayal, Goldson, Skalak & Hünemeier.

I suggest this 11 would beat at least half the teams in the Championship.

There is nowhere to hide if you don't perform (unlike the festive period last season).

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think the teams with the squads that pose the biggest threat are probably Norwich, Derby and Villa. However Norwich seem to be in freefall with too much ground to make up now whilst Villa would need to go on a tremendous run with us simultaneously losing it completely if they were to catch us up.

What concerns me most however is that Reading are lurking ominously below us. I don't think they're as good as we are but nor were the Palace squad that beat us in the playoffs. And more than anything else, that noddy little nothing outfit are precisely the sort of team who'd flukily do us over because of the hurt it would cause us. There is no team in this division it would sting more to lose to. And that's exactly why I fear them the most. History has seen us so cruelly hurt in promotion races past. It would be as painful as possible were we to this season lose out to Reading.

I'd hoped their thrashing last week may have been the start of a slide but sadly this appears not to have been the case. I'll stop considering them a concern once we have a ten point gap over them, but for now they're easily the team I fear most

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I maintain what I said on the other thread, Villa and Derby.

Derby entered the playoff spots today, Villa will be there by the end of December.

Very hard to predict Reading and Norwich, the former could easily plummet and a new manager at Norwich could easily facilitate a Villa/Derby like run.

Fulham score goals for fun and Shef Wed always contenders but I don't think they will be automatic threats.

I like Hudds but their recent form implies a downward trend for them, still sticking around based on their early points tally.

It's gotta be Derby.

And Villa if it goes wrong and we meet them in the Play Offs. Mentioned before, my nightmare is final game of season, Villa have to win to make the play offs. We need a draw to cement automatic.

3 game on the bounce with them. No ta!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We must just hope that we have a better Christmas and New Year than last season.

Hopefully I'm not tempting fate - but I doubt we could do worse than that if we tried.

And I'm really pleased that Newcastle thrashed Brum yesterday, A nice dent in one of our promotion rivals hopes. (I don't consider Newcastle a rival, they're as near to a guaranteed cert as anything ever is in football)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's gotta be Derby.

And Villa if it goes wrong and we meet them in the Play Offs. Mentioned before, my nightmare is final game of season, Villa have to win to make the play offs. We need a draw to cement automatic.

3 game on the bounce with them. No ta!

We just have to sort automatic promotion before we go to Villa Park. My poor old ticker just couldn't cope with another nightmare scenario like last season.

In fact I'm only just out of counselling for it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We took 3 points from 7 games. With our current injuries, I suggest it's virtually impossible to repeat that form as players will get dropped if they don't perform. .

Got one point from the first of those seven games.
We got three from the equivalent game (game 20) on Friday.

So we can't do worse - we can equal it (if we lose the next six) or better it with a single draw.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I went for Derby on a poll on a separate thread recently. Nothing has changed my mind.

I hope Fulham thrash them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good night of football tomorrow :

Blackburn v Albion

Leeds v Reading
Norwich v Villa

and of course

MKDons v Charlton FACup replay.

Nothing too exciting about the other league fixtures on Tuesday, and on Wednesday there is regulation 'easy' wins for Newcastle and Derby.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
By a long way the greatest threat to our promotion is an injury to Glenn Murray.

Losing 3 in 4 killed us in the middle of last season and that was primarily down to injuries. However, we've already showed this season we can cope with injuries in every position apart - that is - from one.

The difference going into this transfer window compared to last season is that we're comfortably top two at least 10 points above all of the other big boys. I suspect the pool of striker talent that we can attract will be significantly larger than a year ago, and that will include quality loan strikers.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Any of the top 10 could catch us.

Just needs a good run from them, decent signings in January and a few bad results from ourselves

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think the teams with the squads that pose the biggest threat are probably Norwich, Derby and Villa. However Norwich seem to be in freefall with too much ground to make up now whilst Villa would need to go on a tremendous run with us simultaneously losing it completely if they were to catch us up.

What concerns me most however is that Reading are lurking ominously below us. I don't think they're as good as we are but nor were the Palace squad that beat us in the playoffs. And more than anything else, that noddy little nothing outfit are precisely the sort of team who'd flukily do us over because of the hurt it would cause us. There is no team in this division it would sting more to lose to. And that's exactly why I fear them the most. History has seen us so cruelly hurt in promotion races past. It would be as painful as possible were we to this season lose out to Reading.

I'd hoped their thrashing last week may have been the start of a slide but sadly this appears not to have been the case. I'll stop considering them a concern once we have a ten point gap over them, but for now they're easily the team I fear most

Their next four games are: Leeds and Blackburn away; Norwich and Fulham at home. I'd be surprised if they got more than six points from those, but we'll see soon enough.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Any of the top 10 could catch us.

Just needs a good run from them, decent signings in January and a few bad results from ourselves

Indeed. That is bound to be true. Might just as well say we could be relegated, The point of the thread is to try an identify teams who look more dangerous than others, and Derby are stand out for me. Don't concede, McLaren working magic. They do have a lot to make up, though, and cannot afford another bad run. TBH, cannot see anyone else LIKELY to catch us unless we do a Hull last season or Derby previous season after Xmas.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Everyone banging on about Villa and their amazing run up the table and why we should be scared of them:

Current form tables http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2

Last 6 matches

1. Derby 18
2. Reading 15
3. Brighton 14
4= Newcastle 12
4= Leeds 12
6= Fulham 11
6= Villa 11

Last 10 matches

1= Newcastle 24
1= Brighton 24
3. Derby 23
4, Reading 20
5. Leeds 19
6= Preston 18
6= Villa 18

We are pulling away from Villa. Stop worrying about them.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Everyone banging on about Villa and their amazing run up the table and why we should be scared of them:

Current form tables http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2.

Last 6 matches

1. Derby 18
2. Reading 15
3. Brighton 14
4= Newcastle 12
4= Leeds 12
6= Fulham 11
6= Villa 11

Last 10 matches

1= Newcastle 24
1= Brighton 24
3. Derby 23
4, Reading 20
5. Leeds 19
6= Preston 18
6= Villa 18

We are pulling away from Villa. Stop worrying about them.

THIS!! Really don't understand the bigging up of Villa. They will need to win 18+ games out of 26 to get top two and that is challenging for any team. They lose three players in January to African Nations Cup, so signings will short-term simply cover those

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here