Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Think Derby are looking up though. If Wolves catch them, then they are probably not going to make the play offs. However, they probably think we are still just about catchable, despite the gap, so wouldn't want to loan us a player.

Weimann is a strange one. I thought he was a decent player for Villa and would do well in the Championship when Derby signed him but he's not done much for them (although didn't he score their goal at the Amex last season).

I agree about Derby's view, but would love them to get caught by Wolves.. no, actually would love Steve McClaren to get caught by Wolves! Weimann was a great player and just looks like someone who has lost confidence amongst the huge number of good strikers at Derby..

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree about Derby's view, but would love them to get caught by Wolves.. no, actually would love Steve McClaren to get caught by Wolves! Weimann was a great player and just looks like someone who has lost confidence amongst the huge number of good strikers at Derby..

Would be funny but I think they'll end up pushing for a top six place. Derby do seem to have a lot of strikers and never quite get the best out of most of them.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
IMO, Keane &/or Fletcher are the last resort options. Would like to see Keane in on short term deal, think as well as back up for SB, he'd have massive effect on the Irish lads in U23/18's.

I have a feeling we will sign Keane no inside knowledge whatsoever. Seems a good fit he must know Hughton from Spurs and Ireland - seems like a good fit and exactly what we need and he might help us over the line.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The more I think of Robbie Keane the more i think its a sensible move, wether thats just because I am hearing no other whispers or not i dont know.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me bringing in Robbie Keane is a no-brainer - he's a great pro, good influence, not likely to be disruptive, has a chance to achieve something at the Albion and will push Baldock for a place in the side, providing cover if required. He'd also worry opposition defenders, freeing up space for our other attacking players. Financially, there's no transfer fee, we've recently released 3 or 4 players so wages are free'd up.

And I can't see that he'd go anywhere else in the UK or Ireland that is a better fit than us. You got to believe that being plunged straight back into the Prem after years in the USA might be a step too far for him, but he could do good things in the Championship.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
For me bringing in Robbie Keane is a no-brainer - he's a great pro, good influence, not likely to be disruptive, has a chance to achieve something at the Albion and will push Baldock for a place in the side, providing cover if required. He'd also worry opposition defenders, freeing up space for our other attacking players. Financially, there's no transfer fee, we've recently released 3 or 4 players so wages are free'd up.

And I can't see that he'd go anywhere else in the UK or Ireland that is a better fit than us. You got to believe that being plunged straight back into the Prem after years in the USA might be a step too far for him, but he could do good things in the Championship.

My arguments against would be two fold:

1) He's not played in England since 2012 and not at all since November. We need someone to hit the ground running and immediately contribute. I'm not convinced he could.

2) If our style of play required a fox in the box type of player, I'd see him as a decent option. But what we need from the Baldock role is way, way more than that. Do not underestimate the amount of ground he covers making runs, closing defenders etc. If we're talking last 10 minutes, goal down, need to chuck someone on as we go gung-ho, then again he's a decent option. But if Baldock gets injured, has a drop in form, and we need him to play 70-75 minutes Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, he just isn't going to be the type of player we need alongside Murray or Hemed.

If we were to sign 2 strikers in this window, then I'm absolutely on board. If he's the one, then its a no from me, we need someone to contribute a bit more than I think he can.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Sheffield Wednesday have bid £9 million for Jordan Rhodes.... And they accuse us of overspending and breaking FFP!

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Or Fletcher, Or Forestieri, or Winnall... They are following the Derby County school of hoarding strikers!

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Or Fletcher, Or Forestieri, or Winnall... They are following the Derby County school of hoarding strikers!

With Nuhiu, Joao in there as well!

Specifically mention Hooper as I don't see how he gets in the team now. Fletcher not the right type of player, Forestieri just signed a new deal, and Winnall obviously just gone there. Hooper's always scored goals, albeit looking a little unfit in recent times.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
With Nuhiu, Joao in there as well!

Specifically mention Hooper as I don't see how he gets in the team now. Fletcher not the right type of player, Forestieri just signed a new deal, and Winnall obviously just gone there. Hooper's always scored goals, albeit looking a little unfit in recent times.

I think he has been injured...But I would take Hooper... Forestieri as the no 10 would be my first choice if we HAD to sign a player from them...Cant think of many others that would get in our team! Even then Forestieri's temperament would be a worry in the respect of upsetting the togetherness of the group!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think he has been injured...But I would take Hooper... Forestieri as the no 10 would be my first choice if we HAD to sign a player from them...Cant think of many others that would get in our team! Even then Forestieri's temperament would be a worry in the respect of upsetting the togetherness of the group!

Apparently from postings by others on here CH does not rate Hooper who he thinks is lazy and not his type of player. His name has been mentioned previously and that was the response.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My arguments against would be two fold:

1) He's not played in England since 2012 and not at all since November. We need someone to hit the ground running and immediately contribute. I'm not convinced he could.

2) If our style of play required a fox in the box type of player, I'd see him as a decent option. But what we need from the Baldock role is way, way more than that. Do not underestimate the amount of ground he covers making runs, closing defenders etc. If we're talking last 10 minutes, goal down, need to chuck someone on as we go gung-ho, then again he's a decent option. But if Baldock gets injured, has a drop in form, and we need him to play 70-75 minutes Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, he just isn't going to be the type of player we need alongside Murray or Hemed.

If we were to sign 2 strikers in this window, then I'm absolutely on board. If he's the one, then its a no from me, we need someone to contribute a bit more than I think he can.

RE 1) you're ruling out a heck a lot of players with this, including young PL prospects and out-of-favour PL experienced pros. It also restricts our options to: League 1 or 2 players (probably not good enough); Championship players (unlikely to happen, and if it is, they'll be extremely expensive); someone from Europe (also needs to settle in like Keane, but no experience playing in England).
But you make a decent argument against Keane. Who would you go for?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
RE 1) you're ruling out a heck a lot of players with this, including young PL prospects and out-of-favour PL experienced pros. It also restricts our options to: League 1 or 2 players (probably not good enough); Championship players (unlikely to happen, and if it is, they'll be extremely expensive); someone from Europe (also needs to settle in like Keane, but no experience playing in England).
But you make a decent argument against Keane. Who would you go for?

I absolutely agree with you, and I think that's partly the conundrum the January window throws up. It's a really tricky one this window specifically for us because it's not as if something's broken that needs fixing, we just need supplementing. So I think it depends on whether we're going to go big time on signing someone to replace Baldock, or signing someone to 'challenge' him ie accept they will be on the bench to start. Depending on which way you lean influences your thoughts on the type of signing we should be making, I think.

I lean towards the latter because I think going forward we've been very good this year, and I'd be wary of disrupting that chemistry. For me, Murray and Baldock starting the rest of the season up front is an ideal scenario. We should bring someone in to come on at the end of games, or for use in squad rotation, or in case of injury. I'd be looking at people that are currently playing bit part roles, if at all (but more than Keane has recently, and a younger, quicker, fitter version!). People like Hooper (as above), Fletcher of West Ham, Frazier Campbell at Palace - people that aren't playing enough and are at risk of not featuring at all given squad's being strengthened in January. People that play on the last shoulder and can stretch teams the other way. Someone like Ashley Barnes if Burnley brought a couple in!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Get Keane in and he would do us well coming off the bench in the last 25 mins if required and his level of fitness would improve over the rest of the season

That is the ideal answer subject of course to wages but I am sure that we could compete with PNE. The added bonus is we could offer him the chance of a return to the Premier as a squad player next season

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
That is the ideal answer subject of course to wages but I am sure that we could compete with PNE. The added bonus is we could offer him the chance of a return to the Premier as a squad player next season

Is he the ideal option? Imagine Baldock breaks his leg at Brentford on 5th Feb and we have to rely on a 36 year old who hasn't played for 2 months to play 70 mins for 20 matches. Remember how long it took Sidwell to get into the groove last season. He's a great option, however, if we bring 2 forwards in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here