Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Steyning Bostal is Strava measured at 0.9 miles long, with an elevation of 407ft.
Of the 10 geeks that have ridden it:-

The quickest is 6:11
The slowest is 8:06
(I couldn't be much more in the middle if I tried)

Only 10 geeks? You can add a runner ex tri then. I did it 7 years back when training for the Caledonian Etape. Had to wait 6 weeks into training before I had the guts to try it with my compact chain set. It was ok in the end but didn't time it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Make that 'x geeks plus 1'. And as I did it in 8.39 I guess I'm the slowest. This is not a record I'd like to retain. (I ran it in 9.52 - so perhaps I could claim a 'slow geek double'!)
Am planning to try Ditchling Beacon tomorrow (cycle only) and have a horrible feeling that I'll be slowest at that one too. The bloody thing has defeated me - and thousands of others - 3 times on London to Brighton so just getting up it will be a triumph.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not sure if you've seen this [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] on the Sussex Sport Photography blog, but it looks like this fella could have cost you a few seconds! The caption is: "if you do cross over to high-5 your kids, mind the poor runner overtaking you that you might have to reach across..." :lolol:

Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 08.33.16.png

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Quick question :) in your humble opinions which running shoes are best? I am looking at getting a new pair and the asics gel kayano 21...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Quick question :) in your humble opinions which running shoes are best? I am looking at getting a new pair and the asics gel kayano 21...

I've always gone into buying running shoes with an open mind – it really is what feels 'right'. I started with New Balance, then had Nikes, and am now onto my second pair of Asics (and two pairs of lightweight Nikes for speed work). The Jog Shop has never let me down - they bring out a load of shoes from the back and I try them all on, and buy the ones that feel the most comfortable, regardless of manufacturer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do any of you work near Canary Wharf either regularly or now and again. The Asics shop underneath Canary Wharf tube station has a 50% sale on some items at the moment, Just picked up a mega lairy orange technical top (purpose, to clash with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] 's shoes) for £12.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Do any of you work near Canary Wharf either regularly or now and again. The Asics shop underneath Canary Wharf tube station has a 50% sale on some items at the moment, Just picked up a mega lairy orange technical top (purpose, to clash with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] 's shoes) for £12.

Ah that's annoying, I'm a big fan of Asics stuff, I'd steam into that. Does it have a publicised end date?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

There are no universal best shoes; what's best for someone else may not be very good for you.

Asics are a very popular brand. I personally hate them, but they may be ideal for you.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not sure if you've seen this [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] on the Sussex Sport Photography blog, but it looks like this fella could have cost you a few seconds! The caption is: "if you do cross over to high-5 your kids, mind the poor runner overtaking you that you might have to reach across..." :lolol:

View attachment 67176

I hadn't seen this thanks. Completely forgot about that part of the race I think it was around King Alfred coming back towards the finish, but was probably in the 'zone' at this stage!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There are no universal best shoes; what's best for someone else may not be very good for you.

Asics are a very popular brand. I personally hate them, but they may be ideal for you.

This in spades. Try as many as you can and get the ones that feel best......no-one can really recommend anything.

Last pair of Asics I had were really comfy, but useless. Chucked them away after about 100 miles of trail running, uppers falling to bit (gel fuji sensors or something).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

That's our fancy dress sorted for Day 2 at Edgbaston next Thursday!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's our fancy dress sorted for Day 2 at Edgbaston next Thursday!

:lolol:

9.1k hills course done this morning. Hills really are the second most fun you can have in your running gear. Didn't see a single other runner so either I'm running a double hard ******* loop, there are too many roads (I had to stop for traffic a few times) or everyone else is scared of the ADDERS.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:lolol:

9.1k hills course done this morning. Hills really are the second most fun you can have in your running gear. Didn't see a single other runner so either I'm running a double hard ******* loop, there are too many roads (I had to stop for traffic a few times) or everyone else is scared of the ADDERS.

Hills for me, too and a PB on my Truleigh Hill 10k and a bit (it's 6.4 miles)) of 51.24. Especially pleased as I'd had a curry and a over half a bottle of wine last night). It would have been even better if I hadn't been daydreaming a bit in miles 4&5 :lol:

Just had a chocolate chip muffin to celebrate!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It would have been hills (of the sprint repeats variety) for me yesterday, but my daughter was off nursery with a temperature so I was minding her instead. Some things are more important. :)

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
4 mile easy session last night 28:47 - 6 mile hill session tonight around East Grinstead. Brighton Half Marathon training will commence in October.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Hills for me, too and a PB on my Truleigh Hill 10k and a bit (it's 6.4 miles)) of 51.24. Especially pleased as I'd had a curry and a over half a bottle of wine last night). It would have been even better if I hadn't been daydreaming a bit in miles 4&5 :lol:

Just had a chocolate chip muffin to celebrate!

I bet the curry and the wine powered you up that hill! Oh I can't wait for some Truleigh Hill reps after my self imposed running exile, I love that hill.. 8 days and counting. Hill love.. Its got Channel 5 documentery written all over it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I bet the curry and the wine powered you up that hill! Oh I can't wait for some Truleigh Hill reps after my self imposed running exile, I love that hill.. 8 days and counting. Hill love.. Its got Channel 5 documentery written all over it.

You might be right about the curry/wine!

I love that hill, too, from the days I used to cycle up it as a kid. I did my long run up there a couple of weeks ago, but going up to the Youth hostel and back twice. Bit repetitive, but it's so quiet, and the views are so awesome, that I didn't really mind. Good luck for eight days' time!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You might be right about the curry/wine!

I love that hill, too, from the days I used to cycle up it as a kid. I did my long run up there a couple of weeks ago, but going up to the Youth hostel and back twice. Bit repetitive, but it's so quiet, and the views are so awesome, that I didn't really mind. Good luck for eight days' time!

Worth carrying on a bit further if you can, superb views and nice runnable bit all the way to Saddlescombe over the Dyke. If you're out at the right time, there is a cafe at Saddlescombe Farm which makes for a nice mid-run pitstop [emoji3]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here