Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hot park run today so happy to be timed at 19:43 which is bang on my pb from two weeks ago. Good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] & [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] there as we all gear up for the NSC 10k challenge a week Wednesday.

Went to Run blatchington road after for new Brooks Raveena's, speaking to the black guy who runs it he ran a 14 minute 5k when he was 28 incredible time. He ran Preston Park today and ran 18 after months out with a dislocated ankle.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hot park run today so happy to be timed at 19:43 which is bang on my pb from two weeks ago. Good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] & [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] there as we all gear up for the NSC 10k challenge a week Wednesday.

Went to Run blatchington road after for new Brooks Raveena's, speaking to the black guy who runs it he ran a 14 minute 5k when he was 28 incredible time. He ran Preston Park today and ran 18 after months out with a dislocated ankle.

Good to see you too- amazing to equal your PB, I'm sure they do that to make you come back!

20:40 for me, 15 sec gain on last week and now only 9 secs off my pb so really happy with that in this heat. Loooking forward to Hove prom inaugural Parkrun next week, followed by the Phoenix and then maybe a crack at the pb the following week.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have produced my Hove Park results below to show what happens if you overtrain. I should have stopped on 13th June and done recovery and held back for a few weeks. Instead I carried on pushing the training and I am now running increasingly slower.
The good news is I have a lot of time sitting down at the cricket for the next 6 weeks drinking plenty of fluids to rehydrate and prepare the belly for The Better Half. Good running@BigNuts nearly there and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] you have now overtaken me again. I WILL RETURN.......

04/07/2015 403 58 21:25 71.75%
27/06/2015 402 45 20:49 73.82%
20/06/2015 401 55 20:50 73.76%
13/06/2015 400 25 20:23 75.39%
06/06/2015 399 46 20:54 73.52%
30/05/2015 398 76 21:36 71.14%
23/05/2015 397 75 21:36 71.14%
16/05/2015 396 49 21:06 72.83%
09/05/2015 395 42 20:30 74.96%
02/05/2015 394 53 21:26 71.70%
25/04/2015 393 101 22:40 67.79%

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

Quality running in this heat! Well done

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Just a club run half marathon for me this morning 1.33.29 with 5 miles ran at a slower pace with a club runner. Far too hot to push on so kept it at a decent pace

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just a club run half marathon for me this morning 1.33.29 with 5 miles ran at a slower pace with a club runner. Far too hot to push on so kept it at a decent pace

That's a good time. What times do you get when you're pushing it?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks bud ran 1.25 in training last year but had a few injuries so trying to get back. At a guess I'd say I'm on 1.27 form going by my 10 mile times

Have you registered for the Brighton Half? 1:25 is a incredible time.

I've set myself two goals over the next 7 months a sub 40 10k and a sub 1:30 half both are a fair distance away but I still feel I'm improving.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Took a minute out of my 10 mile time this morning according to my watch but not according to Strava on the phone. Partly this was to do with fiddling round with the slippy phone in the wet while cooling down. Still, it's frustrating not knowing what my "real" time is but it's around 1.32.30. If I can take two and a half minutes off that before October and then test out the race boost effect in the Bright10 itself I'll be pleased. An evening 10k beckons some time next week followed by a couple of easy jogs to rest the legs for the NSC challenge, where I will probably be racing [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] for the wooden spoon. A sub 50 will be attempted but it will likely depend on conditions.

This morning's humidity had me really pushing for every ounce before the rain meant I spent the last mile almost blind with my sweat being washed back in to my eyes. If anyone has worked out how to stop that happening I'd love to know as I imagine it would make a half marathon or longer seriously uncomfortable. Same vaseline / lip balm over eyebrows track as for sun cream? Or wear the shades in the rain and look like a dick?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Took a minute out of my 10 mile time this morning according to my watch but not according to Strava on the phone. Partly this was to do with fiddling round with the slippy phone in the wet while cooling down. Still, it's frustrating not knowing what my "real" time is but it's around 1.32.30. If I can take two and a half minutes off that before October and then test out the race boost effect in the Bright10 itself I'll be pleased. An evening 10k beckons some time next week followed by a couple of easy jogs to rest the legs for the NSC challenge, where I will probably be racing [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] for the wooden spoon. A sub 50 will be attempted but it will likely depend on conditions.

This morning's humidity had me really pushing for every ounce before the rain meant I spent the last mile almost blind with my sweat being washed back in to my eyes. If anyone has worked out how to stop that happening I'd love to know as I imagine it would make a half marathon or longer seriously uncomfortable. Same vaseline / lip balm over eyebrows track as for sun cream? Or wear the shades in the rain and look like a dick?

I could be a contender for the wooden spoon. My training this week will be 30-40 pints of beer, a few bottles of wine, and a hungover Cardiff Parkrun on Saturday. Followed by 3 days cold turkey detox before the 10k. Have to prioritise the first Ashes Test over running!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I could be a contender for the wooden spoon. My training this week will be 30-40 pints of beer, a few bottles of wine, and a hungover Cardiff Parkrun on Saturday. Followed by 3 days cold turkey detox before the 10k. Have to prioritise the first Ashes Test over running!

I'm off to Edgbaston for days 2 and 3. I'm expecting the following Sunday's run to be HORRIBLE.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm off to Edgbaston for days 2 and 3. I'm expecting the following Sunday's run to be HORRIBLE.

I'll see you there, I have the same days. It's a good crowd at Edgbaston. I am hoping to jog round the Cannon Hill Parkrun on the Saturday morning before driving home. Head permitting for both. It's very close to the ground.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'll see you there, I have the same days. It's a good crowd at Edgbaston. I am hoping to jog round the Cannon Hill Parkrun on the Saturday morning before driving home. Head permitting for both. It's very close to the ground.

I'll let you know my plans on the 15th. My mate has done everything, tickets, train and hotel so I don't know where we're sitting or staying! I'll find out before then. The only thing I know is Thursday night is looking messy as two very old mates are turning up with a gang of Aussies!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
After staring at Strava for far too long I have decided my 10 mile loop describes a dog on a large sledge.

1rundog.JPG

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I'm quite tempted by this 5k malarky, where do you sign up?

I'm currently training for the 10k in October 3rd and Brighton Marathon. I've been recovering from a metatarsal injury so have been doing more swimming then running recently, will be off the pace at the 10k but would like to be ably to complete it under 40m.
Holy grail of 90% of club runners so you must be pretty speedy! Best of luck

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Have you registered for the Brighton Half? 1:25 is a incredible time.

I've set myself two goals over the next 7 months a sub 40 10k and a sub 1:30 half both are a fair distance away but I still feel I'm improving.
It's on my radar! Just got to keep chipping away and you will get there bud. Make every session a quality one!!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
rest the legs for the NSC challenge, where I will probably be racing [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] for the wooden spoon. A sub 50 will be attempted but it will likely depend on conditions.

Sub 50, you will be way ahead of me [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. Under 60 minutes my target! I am doing the London 10k on Sunday so will see what time I get in that!

I managed 7.5 miles this morning but as you say it was very humid and I did a pretty good impression of a moving waterfall! I always run in my Nike daybreak running lightweight cap to keep the sweat out of my eyes - although today I took it off halfway round as I was starting to overheat!! I also struggled a little as I stupidly managed to tread on a wasp on Thursday whilst barefooted! The little git managed to sting me twice on my big toe! Swelling almost gone but I wanted to get out on the road today after surviving a spin class Saturday morning.

Looking forward to meeting people next Wednesday. I will be driving so only one pint for me!

Distance 7.5mi
Moving Time 1:19:28
Pace 10:33/mi
Elevation 626ft
Calories1,353
Elapsed Time 1:20:53

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Aaaaaand I'm injured :(

Decided to follow up yesterday's 10 miler with a game of football with some 8 -10 year olds (after a beer) and a swim. This morning my right knee was a ball of pain when I woke up and I hobbled very gingerly indeed to the 4 hour train trip to work I had to take. It felt fine while I was sat on the train but gave a noticeable cracking noise when I got up again. Stretching it out hurts like hell. Sitting normally with it bent is fine. In a hotel tonight so no chance of an ice pack but will get plenty of rest and some beer for medicinal purposes.

No idea what I've done but tomorrow's recovery run looks unlikely

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Aaaaaand I'm injured :(

Decided to follow up yesterday's 10 miler with a game of football with some 8 -10 year olds (after a beer) and a swim. This morning my right knee was a ball of pain when I woke up and I hobbled very gingerly indeed to the 4 hour train trip to work I had to take. It felt fine while I was sat on the train but gave a noticeable cracking noise when I got up again. Stretching it out hurts like hell. Sitting normally with it bent is fine. In a hotel tonight so no chance of an ice pack but will get plenty of rest and some beer for medicinal purposes.

No idea what I've done but tomorrow's recovery run looks unlikely

Sorry to hear that - hopefully nothing serious. Re an ice pack, any hotel should be able to give you a bucket of ice - just wrap some cubes in a damp towel and use that. I did this in Guangzhou a couple of months ago - struggled to explain to room service that I only wanted ice, no drinks or food but we got there in the end..........and helped my extensor tendonitis clear up in 3 days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here