Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOSBTS - can we now just BIN the "going up to win the cup" bit ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Didn't hear it this week, was he missing.

( I was the Bruno impersonator in front of you)

I took a photo of you. Was late to my seat. I blame myself for the draw.

You looked quality sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
DSC_1780.JPG

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
At away games it always seems to be 'to win the cup'. On Monday it was very noticeable (to me anyway) that everyone sung along together until that line - and then it all seemed a bit muddled and I couldn't work out quite which version was dominant. And this was possibly because I myself sort of stopped, because I wasn't too sure in my own mind which to sing. I'm more used to 'cup' but much prefer 'stand or fall'.....

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
if 'win the cup' was good enough for Gary Nelson its good enough for these new fangled players like that young Barry Samora we've just signed...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For me it's important to sing the Stand or Fall line. GOSBTS is such a unique anthem. It represents pride in our county and pays homage to those young Sussex men who marched off to war in 1914. June 30th this year is the 100th anniversary of the battle of the boars head where so many of those young men died. They sang this song on their way to the front and so I sing it for them, for Sussex and for Brighton and Hove Albion, the club I love and I sing it with pride, passion and as loudly as I possibly can. It's about the fellowship of man, of loyalty and about looking out for your mates whatever battles lay in front of you. It's about being together and it makes me emotional every time I sing it as the team walks out.

Sung in the jungles of Burma during ww2 too as we pushed the Japs out (see Nemesis,Max Hastings)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
"And we're going up for to win the cup"
Strange thing is that, according to the NSC folk, it should be 'stand or fall' and yet this season alone I've been in the East Upper every game except North (only once) and amidst the hard core away fans at 6 grounds and ALL sing 'going up'.
In fact I don't think I've heard 'stand or fall'
After 40 years I am not going to change.

Well, considering we're singing the county anthem....it should be 'stand or fall'. We're going up to win the up makes no sense.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Taking a *slight* liberty with the last 2 lines of the 1st verse so we can cut to the chase and not make it overly long...I'd bloody LOVE to hear the whole stadium ringing this out

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take the time from me
You can tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea

ALL...TOGETHER...NOW......

Good old Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the sea
You can tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea

Easys spot on - I also find it pretty embarrassing that even with the help of the words on the screens we haven't got this licked by now. I make a point of singing it in full every match from my seat in the east upper and take up around where I sit has been painfully slow in coming - though I think some progress is being made.

It's just 13 lines...its not a lot of effort. If Liverpool fans can sing Scouser Tommy which is three times the length without stadium screens displaying lyrics then this is a cakewalk.

Previous posts have eloquently summed up the poignancy and uniqness of the song...GOSBTS is OUR song and we should size the opportunity to establish it like YNWA, ST or Sheffield Utd when they join as one to sing the chip butty song to John Denvers Annie's Song...

Stand or Fall everyone!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Been saying this for ages. STAND OR FALL is not only on the screen but it is the actual words, would sound so much better if everyone sang it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Easys spot on - I also find it pretty embarrassing that even with the help of the words on the screens we haven't got this licked by now. I make a point of singing it in full every match from my seat in the east upper and take up around where I sit has been painfully slow in coming - though I think some progress is being made.

It's just 13 lines...its not a lot of effort. If Liverpool fans can sing Scouser Tommy which is three times the length without stadium screens displaying lyrics then this is a cakewalk.

Previous posts have eloquently summed up the poignancy and uniqness of the song...GOSBTS is OUR song and we should size the opportunity to establish it like YNWA, ST or Sheffield Utd when they join as one to sing the chip butty song to John Denvers Annie's Song...

Stand or Fall everyone!!

I suppose that over the years many of us have sung very similar words but slightly different. Until the words were on the screen - urghh - there was no standard we worked to as people slightly *******ized it.

I used to sing 'Guiding' instead of 'Sounding' for example.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
if 'win the cup' was good enough for Gary Nelson its good enough for these new fangled players like that young Barry Samora we've just signed...

And Peter Ward, Fred Binney, Kit Napier, Michael Robinson.

I'm in the 'win the cup' camp. I don't understand the need to change things that have worked for 50 years, since Norman Wisdom was on the pitch.

We sing it much too fast as well, to the point where you can barely distinguish what is sung.....

Bloomin' newbies. [emoji2]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Stand or fall for me.

Absolutely fantastic line. Going up to win the cup was always nonsensical (and was introduced in the 83 cup run I believe, as before that it was 'going up and we'll win the cup')

Let 'stand or fall' be part of the Amex era.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have NEVER sung "Going up to win the Cup" as it only ever made sense on TWO days in our history, both in 1983. The Norman Wisdom change was "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup" meaning that the team was good enough to win promotion and win the FA Cup; "Going up to win the cup" only referred to us going up to Wembley. Only complete and utter brain-dead cretins without any sense or understanding of the English language continue to sing "to win the Cup". I believe I may have expressed similar sentiments on here before.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In 1978 I used to sing "going up to win the cup" and that's what I'll always sing (I also sing "Going down Old Shore'em Road to see Alan Mullery's aces" as well) as for you, you can sing "Blowing pups sue bin f**k up" for all I care, it's gonna affect my life in no way whatsoever, in the same way an opinion on here will have no influence on what is sung at the stadium.
Not in 1978 you didn't.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There is no reason why it can't be sung like Southampton and Spurs sing "oh when the saint/spurs" as it should be sung slowly and loudly. Yes it can finish with the goddlegook we currently have but I cannot see it getting though the deaf ears of 80% of our fans.

Exactly this.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Nice to see the NSC song Nazis in fine fettle this morning...seriously - bore off! I couldn't give a shit what is sung so long as it adds to the atmosphere...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
And Peter Ward, Fred Binney, Kit Napier, Michael Robinson.

I'm in the 'win the cup' camp. I don't understand the need to change things that have worked for 50 years, since Norman Wisdom was on the pitch.

We sing it much too fast as well, to the point where you can barely distinguish what is sung.....

Bloomin' newbies. [emoji2]

The version you are singing is the changed version and not the original words, no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here