Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prevent Donald Trump from making a state visit to the United Kingdom - petition

D

Deleted member 22389

So in your world everyone just keeps quiet and accepts everything he says just in case he gets upset.

No doubt you will be out on the streets waving your piece of paper while liberties are reigned in.

We have had 15-20 years of exactly the same shit you talk about, now the ball is on the other foot people can't handle it. May be if people had listened in the first place instead of name calling, sorted out the issues that concerned people there would be no Brexit or no Trump today, politicians completely misread the views of people, and they are still doing it now.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So in your world everyone just keeps quiet and accepts everything he says just in case he gets upset.

No doubt you will be out on the streets waving your piece of paper while liberties are reigned in.

Moderation in everything!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Donald Trump will be blocked from addressing Parliament on his state visit to the UK, the Speaker of the House of Commons has said.

John Bercow, the Speaker, said he was "strongly opposed" to Mr Trump speaking in the Commons and that being invited was "not an automatic right" but "an earned honour".

“Before the imposition of the migrant ban I would myself have been strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall," he told MPs in response to a point of order by an MP.

“After the imposition of the migrant ban by President Trump I am even more strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall."

Parts of the Commons erupted into rare spontaneous applause in support of Mr Bercow's statement.

Veteran Labour MP Dennis Skinner, speaking after Mr Bercow's statement said: "Further to that point of order: two words: well done."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...isit-speaker-address-parliament-a7565651.html

Very moral and commendable and all that, but I'm not sure it's the right decision at this time. Diplomacy might have been taken more into account. And, after all the protestations that a Trump state visit would be an embarrassment to Her Maj, can't see this doing anything other than making it even more embarrassing for her.
And P.S. No, I'm not a Trump supporter; I think he is an odious man and I wouldn't have voted for him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most politicians talk bolox on Twitter.I'd rather ban Twitter,seems to be full of twits.

They use it as PR. Trump uses it for the exact opposite.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oh dear!Has Donald been nobbing Sally?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Bucking the trend.

"Respected actor and narrator Morgan Freeman has urged his fellow Hollywood actors to stop criticising President Trump and ditch the cry-baby narrative that currently dominates the media.
In a new interview with AARP Magazine, Freeman said that actors and entertainers should support the President and give him a chance to prove himself."
http://yournewswire.com/morgan-freeman-hollywood-trump/

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
John Bercow take a bow, I suppose its slightly ironic that a few MPs in the house have more insidious views than Trump but just dont say them out loud.

And I concluded by saying to the honourable gentleman this. We value our relationshjip with the United States. If a state visit takes place, that is way beyond beyond and above the pay grade of the Speaker.

However, as far as this place [the House of Commons] is concerned, I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.

Or, on the other hand.
"John Bercow does not speak for Britain, just for his own monstrous ego"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...ain-just-monstrous-ego/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Or, on the other hand.
"John Bercow does not speak for Britain, just for his own monstrous ego"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...ain-just-monstrous-ego/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

trump-bercow-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png

A monstrous egotist, and the President of the United States

:lolol:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bucking the trend.

"Respected actor and narrator Morgan Freeman has urged his fellow Hollywood actors to stop criticising President Trump and ditch the cry-baby narrative that currently dominates the media.
In a new interview with AARP Magazine, Freeman said that actors and entertainers should support the President and give him a chance to prove himself."

He is spot on, and for him to say this one has to pay attention and be rational about it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Bucking the trend.

Morgan has always bucked the trend, he wants Black History month gone too.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Are we not in danger of being sucked in to a media frenzy and Facebook campaign of anti Trump activists?
I have no respect for the man and despise what he says......but he has killed nobody, yet . The P M was courting a deal with the U S A which could safeguard your job for decades. Trump will be history in a max 8 years time.

Yesterday Mr Netanyahu was in Downing St. With only a small protest outside and little news coverage. Now there is a man with blood on his hands!

As far as I know, no invitation to address Parliament had been offered Trump, so it is all hypothetical grandstanding. Things could have been said privately to the Government if Breconw felt so strongly.

Let's keep a sense of proportion.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Irrespective of whether you like Bercow or not, the suggestion that Trump should address Parliament has been made. Whether that was a deliberate leak by the Government to 'test the water' or just something the media have assumed, surely Trump should not be afforded that privilege in the first year of his first term. It seems more like we are using this to satiate Trump's ego purely to get him on side with any trade negotiations!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The government is moving quickly to say that Bercow's opinion and comments are out of order. After all, we can't upset our new friend and risk losing that marvellous deal he is going to give us.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Are we not in danger of being sucked in to a media frenzy and Facebook campaign of anti Trump activists?
I have no respect for the man and despise what he says......but he has killed nobody, yet . The P M was courting a deal with the U S A which could safeguard your job for decades. Trump will be history in a max 8 years time.

Yesterday Mr Netanyahu was in Downing St. With only a small protest outside and little news coverage. Now there is a man with blood on his hands!

As far as I know, no invitation to address Parliament had been offered Trump, so it is all hypothetical grandstanding. Things could have been said privately to the Government if Breconw felt so strongly.

Let's keep a sense of proportion.

Netanyahu has been prime minister of Israel an and off for over a decade. Yesterday wasn't a state visit and to my knowledge, he hasn't had one.

Trump has been in the White house for less than 5 weeks but already he has had the honour thrown to him. I think it's that indecent haste that has fuelled people's concern.

I do agree that people need to be consistent in their objections. But just because they didn't publicly protest last time doesn't mean they supported it. Perhaps it's the disappointment that the land of the free has turned into one where the executive so openly try and intimidate the judiciary and where so many alternative facts now exist that has caused the outrage.

In life it's always the let down from those you expect better of that cause greater reaction.

If anything good comes from this, it's hopefully that such honours (state visit, addressing parliament) won't get thrown around so easily

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The government is moving quickly to say that Bercow's opinion and comments are out of order. After all, we can't upset our new friend and risk losing that marvellous deal he is going to give us.

Or perhaps we should not have the speaker of the house putting his own opinion instead of putting the question to the house.
While we are at it maybe take a look at his wining and dining expenses as well.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I detest Trump because he's Putin's puppet.

But Bercow is out of line here and has to go.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Or perhaps we should not have the speaker of the house putting his own opinion instead of putting the question to the house.

You seem a little incensed that a a member of the British politique has spoken out against an American president, who has been in the job for 3 weeks. What do you consider he has done that is worthy to be afforded the honour of addressing the British parliament?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

A nice bit of whataboutery there. Expenses and tax are probably not subjects that trump supporters should get involved in here.

A speaker needs to stay neutral on domestic matters. But this is a matter of ceremony, as this is, he is allowed an opinion.

Also one of his roles is to ensure a healthy relationship between the executive (commons bring one element) and the judiciary. It's that very point which seems to be the crux here of his objections and one indeed he has voiced before

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here