Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Were you waiting for the proper bogg or urinal. I queued up half an hour and nearly missed the start needing a piss not releasing urinals were tucked behind the portaloos. They were marked on the map so it kind of serves me right, but they could of had a marshal running along that queue making people aware (or signs?). A few people ended up running back to the queue and walked along its length telling blokes that there were separate urinals because quite a few hadn't realised.

I pissed in the trees before I dropped my kitbag off, then again in the hedge after about 3/4 mile going back down the hill - as I have in every Brighton marathon I've done. Queuing is for the girls [emoji3]

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Well done to the lads and ladies today! Was following all the NSC'ers that put their bib numbers on that I could on the app.

Serious question - how difficult would it be to get from a literal zero to a marathon in 12 months? I have this feeling that I'm approaching my mid 30s, and I have - HAVE - to get fitter than I am (5"8 and 17 stone). I know that I'd like to do it for a specific charity (MIND, and possibly REMF if they'd have me), and I'm the sort of person that needs pushing - total lack of will power on my own but in a group I have a terrifying fear of letting people down!!!! Is it do able, and if so, how do I start?!? Is it just as easy as popping on a pair of trainers and opening the front door? I tried going for a run last year, but got laughed at by some kids in a car which knocked my confidence a bit (crawling along at 2mph in front of me yelling obscenities!!!).

Genuinely interested, absolutely terrified, but keen to hear if anyone can relate?!?
I'll agree with the two previous comments, just get out there being the first and don't underestimate a good pair of trainers.

I for one am inspired if I see a 'new' runner starting out on a fitness campaign! If I see someone in the gym for the first time I think it's great! It takes guts to start a new regime, especially if some idiots have smashed your confidence! Bullies are just that, idiots!

But know your limits and set realistic targets, but as with everything you have to have the determination to stick with it! There will be times when you can't be bothered and you will have to overcome these. Trust me, you will reap the rewards if you do! It's too easy to quit!

I'm a firm believer that Heart Rate training is a great way to get into running. It will allow you to start slowly and build up pace progressively whilst gaining fitness and hopefully remaining injury free. Google MAF training to find out more.

However, whichever method you choose, stick with it, it works and you will be at the start line next year!!

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are quite a few minor things for the organisers of Brighton to put right next year. I hope they read threads like this but I might send some feedback (with the positives accentuated though, as it was a brilliant day). For me many of the changes they implemented didn't quite work.

There were more loos last year than this in Preston Park (or perhaps the same number with more people). My tactic worked as (turn away now if you hate El Pres's threads) I had a very strong coffee at home to empty out and then popped an immodium. After that there's a proper toilet in the chalet cafe so just used that for a wee. However, I was still panicking at the start as my friend left her bag with the NSC group so she could go to the loo and it took her over half an hour to get back to us.

The muddy coralls were a joke. Whoever thought of that, please change it next year.

I also prefer the timing chip in the running number rather than on the shoe. Nearly everyone who turned up asked me how to fit it - I'd got my Mrs to do it the night before. The instructions on the pack were unclear and in 2 point font.

Those are my only annoyances though. I thought everything else was great. The number of volunteers out on the course is outstanding and I'd thank every single one of them. I liked the course. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] mentioned there was less support this year but as a first timer I found the support amazing. The clifftop near Roedean and the Power Station were a bit bleak but I'd been warned they would be. If I could change the mud and loos and buy back six seconds it would have been a perfect day.

Oh and thanks to all those who sponsored me too, quite a few on here have now :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There were more loos last year than this in Preston Park (or perhaps the same number with more people). My tactic worked as (turn away now if you hate El Pres's threads) I had a very strong coffee at home to empty out and then popped an immodium. After that there's a proper toilet in the chalet cafe so just used that for a wee. However, I was still panicking at the start as my friend left her bag with the NSC group so she could go to the loo and it took her over half an hour to get back to us.

The muddy coralls were a joke. Whoever thought of that, please change it next year.

I also prefer the timing chip in the running number rather than on the shoe. Nearly everyone who turned up asked me how to fit it - I'd got my Mrs to do it the night before. The instructions on the pack were unclear and in 2 point font.

Oh and thanks to all those who sponsored me too, quite a few on here have now :thumbsup:

Loos no problem for me as a near vegetarian.. So got that out the way at home listenig to Hendrix (although did need to sit in a pile of seaweed on a deserted beach near Margate 2 weeks back, most enjoyable). Bushes at PP were fine to pp.
Hate giving advice to someone who, despite my 5 minute start, steam rollered past me on Hove Prom, but be carefull with immodium in future as they dehydrate the body maybe a problem on a hotter day. Weigh up pros and cons there.

The Corrals were a disgrace. Lucky I didn't buy the new shoes 2 weeks before. They need to use matting or boarding.

They just got away with it but there was evidence of money grabbing everywhere. My biggest worry is how i'll get up to the Upper Stands tonight. May have to start out an hour earlier......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Loos no problem for me as a near vegetarian.. So got that out the way at home listenig to Hendrix (although did need to sit in a pile of seaweed on a deserted beach near Margate 2 weeks back, most enjoyable). Bushes at PP were fine to pp.
Hate giving advice to someone who, despite my 5 minute start, steam rollered past me on Hove Prom, but be carefull with immodium in future as they dehydrate the body maybe a problem on a hotter day. Weigh up pros and cons there.

The Corrals were a disgrace. Lucky I didn't buy the new shoes 2 weeks before. They need to use matting or boarding.

They just got away with it but there was evidence of money grabbing everywhere. My biggest worry is how i'll get up to the Upper Stands tonight. May have to start out an hour earlier......

I'm back four rows of West Upper. Getting down again will not be fun in any way.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Oh god the WSU steps tonight, do you think they'll put an elevator on for recuperating marathon runners if we all agree to get there the same time?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There are quite a few minor things for the organisers of Brighton to put right next year. I hope they read threads like this but I might send some feedback (with the positives accentuated though, as it was a brilliant day). For me many of the changes they implemented didn't quite work.

Those are my only annoyances though. I thought everything else was great. The number of volunteers out on the course is outstanding and I'd thank every single one of them. I liked the course. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] mentioned there was less support this year but as a first timer I found the support amazing. The clifftop near Roedean and the Power Station were a bit bleak but I'd been warned they would be. If I could change the mud and loos and buy back six seconds it would have been a perfect day.

They definitely scrimped on the portaloos, but I can tell you now that there are never enough at the start of any marathon, ever (except perhaps London believe it or not where there are seemingly thousands). The PP bushes were fine though. The mud was a grim way to start - shame though as the parallel corrals otherwise worked really well. I'd agree re immodium - just need to be careful of the effect on hydration but I know loads of runners that use it. The very big no-no is any NSAIDs (ibuprofen etc)

I thought the aid stations were really well managed/manned and there were plenty of them. The volunteers and marshalls were all brilliant. I thought the support was about the same as last year - it was very, very good, anyway. The city has really taken to the event

I always like the clifftop and Power Station bits - bit of peace and quiet before the prom madness :D

As for post-marathon stiffness and WSU steps, the best thing you can do is get moving again asap. Go for a very light jog, brisk walk or whatever for 30 mins. The first few minutes might be grim but it'll do absolute wonders for you

They definitely scrimped on the portaloos, but I can tell you now that there are never enough at the start of any marathon, ever (except perhaps London believe it or not where there are seemingly thousands). The PP bushes were fine though. The mud was a grim way to start - shame though as the parallel corrals otherwise worked really well. I'd agree re immodium - just need to be careful of the effect on hydration but I know loads of runners that use it. The very big no-no is any NSAIDs (ibuprofen etc)

I thought the aid stations were really well managed/manned and there were plenty of them. The volunteers and marshalls were all brilliant. I thought the support was about the same as last year - it was very, very good, anyway. The city has really taken to the event

I always like the clifftop and Power Station bits - bit of peace and quiet before the prom madness :D

As for post-marathon stiffness and WSU steps, the best thing you can do is get moving again asap. Go for a very light jog, brisk walk or whatever for 30 mins. The first few minutes might be grim but it'll do absolute wonders for you

wholeheartedly agree - went for a slow 5 miles last night; first mile was painful though. Tonight my exercise will be walking up & down to WSU.

Marathon 94 on Sunday - just looking to get round; sub 4 hours will be good. How Eddy Izzard did it every day!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Annoyingly this could explain why I was cramping. Another rookie error. I'd had a Saturday night's sleep panicking about things including THAT picture of the elite runner still going with the contents of his SHED all over him.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
wholeheartedly agree - went for a slow 5 miles last night; first mile was painful though. Tonight my exercise will be walking up & down to WSU.

Marathon 94 on Sunday - just looking to get round; sub 4 hours will be good. How Eddy Izzard did it every day!!

London? My Mrs is on one of the marshall teams at the finish, so I'll have the telly on all day just on the off chance I can pick her out of all the other identically dressed marshalls!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To be fair, I was mainly talking about the support out by the Marina (which is when I managed to stick with GB), as opposed to everywhere else. The majority of the course was really good. One section was a bit odd with no spectators and no noise from the runners – all a bit surreal.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
4 hours 36 for me this year.

Not the best time but given my preparations I was very happy with it.

Missed the last 3 months of 2015 with a knee injury and then put my back out over Christmas, rather than a early January starting point of being able to run 5 or 6 miles comfortably I was close to being able to walk normally!!

I managed to do the Brighton half but for some reason I failed to get beyond 11 miles the following two weeks and all but gave up on the marathon before going on holiday over Easter. I struggled round a 3 mile run on the 27th March and this must have reignited something inside me, as I've then got myself from 3 miles to 26 in three weeks.

An injury free 2016 would be nice and then we'll do it all again next year ...

Huge congratulations to all who took part/volunteered - such a fantastic day.

Well done to everyone who ran a Marathon in April (or for some of us bonkers runners 2 marathons in April!). Don't forget Marathon's are NOT just for April. There are marathons & ultra events the whole year in the UK. Let us know when your next Marathon/Ultra event is. Please also let me know if the below standings are correct. I have based the standings as per the 100 Marathon Club definition i.e. if you enter a marathon or a race that is further in distance (you have to finish it for the standing to count), unless it is a lapped event (where you have ran at least the marathon distance.

It's for fun. No prizes. Just camaraderie & encouragement to each other:

Marathon & Ultra standings

Bob! : 33 - Three Forts May 2016
Steve Foster: 94 - Arun River May 2016
Mr Blobby: 3 Reykjavik August 2016
Herr Tubthumper: 4 - Chicago Oct 2016
Beardy gull: 8 - Chianti Oct 2016
Simgull: 0 - Brighton 2017

Having a sabbatical ........ for now?

Dazzer6666: 45
Greg Bobkin: 45

Tommy Tradlles: 16

Pembury: 14

BrianWade4: 7

its_neil 4
Ben Elton's Brother: 4
big nuts: 4
knocky1: 4
MORTY: 4
Ninja Elephant: 4
PWA: 4
Driver8: 4
Richy_Seagull: 4
blockseagull: 4
Y Ddraig Goch: 4

Bermondseygull: 3
Bedsex: 3
TotallyFreaked: 3

Bad Ash: 2
Cecil: 2
timbha 2
Gary Nelson's teacher: 2
edna krabappel: 2
Weezie: 2
IndianaPaul 2
jimhigham 2

Guinness Boy: 1
JoePrecious: 1
D'Angelo Saxon: 1
deletebeepbeep: 1
Penny's harmonica: 1
Jimmy gull: 1
Dirty Dave: 1
Mellor 3 Ward 4: 1
MrShaun15: 1
Oldham gull: 1
Rodney Thomas: 1
St Leonards Seagull: 1
Wondergull 1
D Blockblue 1

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Three Forts done today, about 4.43, happy with that after several weeks interrupted training.

Not telling you how this was sent or from what device [emoji867]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here