Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Very Happy for Barnes I don't get why he is such a hate figure for some, I don't think he will ever win all the fans over. Even when he scored 20+ goals he was slated, I'm sure if he did it again people still wouldn't be happy, luckily I don't think he gives a **** what some people think. As all the support I would want is from the manager and well if Gus rates you who gives a rats arse about what some geek on NSC thinks of you.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Delighted for for Banes but couldn't help noticing his goal celebration after the first goal.You can still see the attitude problem isn't far away.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This isn't a criticism of Gus but I often say that.

He's basically a victim of his own flexibility. Played in midfield, works for the team and then gets criticised for not scoring goals or looking like a natural midfielder.

His stint in midfield has almost been an education in my opinion. You could see it yesterday. It's taught him how to lay the ball off. How to maintain possession. It's improved his decision making.

I've also always been saying that IF he moves on (I dot want him to) and a team plays him up font for a whole season, I could see him scoring tons. Maybe at Champiknship, maybe league One.

Basically, he has striker movement. His two goals are the perfect example of that movement as the ball is delivered. The second is obviously down to an amazing cross but he moved for it and made it look simple.

I couldn't agree with you more. I agree with those that say we lose "something" when he plays in midfield but, as people keep wilfully ignoring, he is not a midfielder but he has absolutely gained vast amounts in appreciating how the game builds through midfield.

In particular, his second goal yesterday was exactly the same position as Ulloa's against Arsenal when Barnes played the cross. Meaning he knows better where to be.

His "red mist" moments needs to be cut out, no doubt, but lets not detract from the fact that he has for the third season running, scored some utterly vital goals for us (although Saturday's weren't "vital" as such, just wonderful).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very Happy for Barnes I don't get why he is such a hate figure for some, I don't think he will ever win all the fans over.
Obviously this time it was understandable fans were annoyed with him - but despite that, he still get a good cheer when his name was read out on Saturday (a fair few boos too). I guess it's a minority against him.

So could 90% of everyone that posts on here.
Indeed. Some people seem to genuinely think they know what formation works better than Gus (these people shouldn't be on NSC, they should go and get a top job in football management). Like those that felt proved right when two wingers worked against Palace - 'we should never play without two wingers' they proclaimed. So we tried two wingers in the next match, and it didn't work.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Delighted for for Banes but couldn't help noticing his goal celebration after the first goal.You can still see the attitude problem isn't far away.

Eh? I saw the celebration and didn't read that at all. Looked like it was directed towards his family. I love how people just see what they want to see in Barnes so they can make stuff up.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Eh? I saw the celebration and didn't read that at all. Looked like it was directed towards his family. I love how people just see what they want to see in Barnes so they can make stuff up.

Amazing isn't it. If he'd not celebrated people would say "arrogant" and "moody". If he over-celebrated people would say "maybe he should be more reserved considering his stupid ban". He could even have done a comical trip celebration (I was really hoping he would) and people would get annoyed at that.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
After viewing the highlights and watching his celebration it's clear that it was intended for his family. He held his hands up to flutter his fingers back and forth (whatever that means!) he didn't cup his ears or did anything that could be mis-construed as a dig at the fans.

He played brilliantly, get off his back and support him as we should do as he PLAYS for us, whether you like it or not.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
:lolol: Negative style of play.....6-1.....negative!? Are you completely bonkers!

On Saturday he played as a striker, which he is. Played well and chuffed for him. When he plays as a second striker he unbalances the team as he tends to go to the right side and drop back to much, this also means that when he plays as as second striker, a better player is on the bench.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
2 quality goals, sublime passing to set up both Buckley and Dave in the first half, strong hold up, smart movement... The Barnes haters will have to pick another game if they want to criticise him. He was just great on Saturday.

Unless of course they want to pick holes in his celebration. Or his moment of lunacy when the ball dropped at his feet. But I reckon that's part of the charm.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
:lol: please elaborate.

I can't believe this needs elaboration...

He celebrated that first goal with two thumbs up to the west stand. What is west of England? America. Who is famous for two thumbs up? The recently deceased roger Ebert, a man who has had multiple bouts with cancer, including having his jaw removed.

Ashley followed the two thumbs by holding his hands under his eyes and wiggling his fingers. This is clearly meant to be an exaggerated miming of people crying, mocking the grief and sympathy for a man who is a legend in his field, a man who all critics and actors admired, even if they disagreed with his appraisals. In the aftermath of his death no one had a bad word to say about him.

No one until Barnes.

Clearly, he was upset with one of ebert's review (probably one of the later two pirates of the Caribbean movie, with the finger action being also representing the tentacles of the Davy Jones character).

What sort of man can't let something like that go? What sort of man allows a difference of opinion on some throwaway popcorn Hollywood movie to turn into such a grudge that you mock the grief of people over the death of the person you disagree with? Barnes, that's who.

It's clearly a sign that he isn't fit to be a part of society and the sooner we're rid of him, the better.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

He celebrated that first goal with two thumbs up to the west stand. What is west of England? America. Who is famous for two thumbs up? The recently deceased roger Ebert, a man who has had multiple bouts with cancer, including having his jaw removed.

Ashley followed the two thumbs by holding his hands under his eyes and wiggling his fingers. This is clearly meant to be an exaggerated miming of people crying, mocking the grief and sympathy for a man who is a legend in his field, a man who all critics and actors admired, even if they disagreed with his appraisals. In the aftermath of his death no one had a bad word to say about him.

No one until Barnes.

Clearly, he was upset with one of ebert's review (probably one of the later two pirates of the Caribbean movie, with the finger action being also representing the tentacles of the Davy Jones character).

What sort of man can't let something like that go? What sort of man allows a difference of opinion on some throwaway popcorn Hollywood movie to turn into such a grudge that you mock the grief of people over the death of the person you disagree with? Barnes, that's who.

It's clearly a sign that he isn't fit to be a part of society and the sooner we're rid of him, the better.

Exactly. I don't know how people don't pick up on these things.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Unless of course they want to pick holes in his celebration. Or his moment of lunacy when the ball dropped at his feet. But I reckon that's part of the charm.

What moment of lunacy?

If you mean the one on one, the ball looped up high and by the time it landed at his feet the goalkeeper was on him, even if you think he should have done better, it is not a moment of lunacy.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What moment of lunacy?

If you mean the one on one, the ball looped up high and by the time it landed at his feet the goalkeeper was on him, even if you think he should have done better, it is not a moment of lunacy.

Fair point. Though I would have VOLLEYED it first time, Shearer-esque, with a resounding CRACK (right into the new exec boxes above the South stand)

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

No one until Barnes.

Wonderful

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
What moment of lunacy?

This. Nowhere near as easy a chance as some think.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
It looks to me like the Barnes haters on here are clutching at straws to justify their views, despite a top class performance from him in his best position. There is no reasoning with these people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here