Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread full of Terrace nostalgia

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
just thinking of Millwall....was anyone at the game circa 1978 when they went 2-0 up only for Brighton to win 3-2.
I'm pretty sure that for some reason, the very small Millwall following were put by the tunnel in the west terrace (just south of the tunnel)

Was i dreaming !!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
27_b.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
3_b.jpg

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
jevs said:
Cass Pennant has a chapter in his "congratulations, you've just met the ICF" book about a weekend in Brighton in 1978.

I remember the game well....i was there and west ham won 2-1 with a brace from Bryan 'pop' Robson.....but Pennant says it kicked off quite a few times in Brighton and he rekons it was a pretty scary place to come despite Brighton not having a "proper firm"

Remember being at the 1982 game at the goldstone too when Brighton won 3-1 (all i remember is Alan Devonshire scoring a late goal for us) but right at the end....i'm sure the north satnd was invaded by west ham. I can remember seeing loads of hastle plus loads of riot cops etc.

I was present at the one we won 3-1. I was in the North Stand when the 'appy 'ammers came storming in! All hell was let loose.

I took out 3 six foot plus skinheads and saved my mates from a good kicking.............Happy days!:nono:

.:lolol: I made that last bit up.............i just kept my distance and just watched:blush:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
millmoor.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
_741843_crowd300.jpg

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
jevs said:
just thinking of Millwall....was anyone at the game circa 1978 when they went 2-0 up only for Brighton to win 3-2.
I'm pretty sure that for some reason, the very small Millwall following were put by the tunnel in the west terrace (just south of the tunnel)

Was i dreaming !!!

Didnt they simply pay to get in the South Stand and walk through to the tunnel area. In those days the South stand was not all seated.
They then came across the pitch and entered the North Stand and Brighton fought back amazingly enough.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Alby said:
Didnt they simply pay to get in the South Stand and walk through to the tunnel area. In those days the South stand was not all seated.
They then came across the pitch and entered the North Stand and Brighton fought back amazingly enough.

they were south of the players tunnel but the police (with dogs) kept them off the pitch. After fighting the dogs (and losing) they turned around and tried to climb in the West Stand. Many were wearing surgical masks as described earlier. 2 - 0 up and losing 3 - 2 was too much for them!

I don't recall them reaching the pitch let alone the NS.

Dandyman

In London village.
jevs said:
Cass Pennant has a chapter in his "congratulations, you've just met the ICF" book about a weekend in Brighton in 1978.

I remember the game well....i was there and west ham won 2-1 with a brace from Bryan 'pop' Robson.....but Pennant says it kicked off quite a few times in Brighton and he rekons it was a pretty scary place to come despite Brighton not having a "proper firm"

Remember being at the 1982 game at the goldstone too when Brighton won 3-1 (all i remember is Alan Devonshire scoring a late goal for us) but right at the end....i'm sure the north satnd was invaded by west ham. I can remember seeing loads of hastle plus loads of riot cops etc.

Remember the Hammers coming down in '78 with hordes of Skinheads (properly dressed rather than boneheads). Seemed very glamorous to my 15 year old self.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I remember being in the West terrace at the Goldstone in '81 or '82 when we were playing Spurs. A Tottenham fan in among us suddenly pulled a knife and put it to the throat of an Albion lad. Was only about nine years old at the time, but I remember being totally confused as to why this was happening.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
timbha said:
they were south of the players tunnel but the police (with dogs) kept them off the pitch. After fighting the dogs (and losing) they turned around and tried to climb in the West Stand. Many were wearing surgical masks as described earlier. 2 - 0 up and losing 3 - 2 was too much for them!

I don't recall them reaching the pitch let alone the NS.

I was a kid at the time and had a season ticket in the west stand. I remember something like a brick whizzing by and a fair few Millwall hooligans climbing up into the west. The morons were looking for a fight but all they managed to find were a bunch of granddads, kids and suchlike. Idiots. After the match, just near or in Old Shoreham Road someone was stabbed, my Dad was frantically trying to stop me seeing the incident and obviously scared about our own safety too. At 11 years old I was just curious.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
So how many of you were at the Sheff Wed game....circa 5th may 1977. An evening KO that BHA had to win to go up.

32,000 fans packed onto the terraces which will still go down as THE best game i've ever seen.....it had everything, goals, penalties, electric atmosphere and i got to run on the pitch at the end with me dad.

BHA won 3-2 and i can remember Wardy scoring at the south end but thats about it. Anyone want to fill in the details !!!

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
jevs said:
So how many of you were at the Sheff Wed game....circa 5th may 1977. An evening KO that BHA had to win to go up.

32,000 fans packed onto the terraces which will still go down as THE best game i've ever seen.....it had everything, goals, penalties, electric atmosphere and i got to run on the pitch at the end with me dad.

BHA won 3-2 and i can remember Wardy scoring at the south end but thats about it. Anyone want to fill in the details !!!

I was there.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You bet!
I have just about the same few memories as Jevs. I can remember the atmosphere however, absolutely electric. And Wardy in his prime.

Ah sweet memories.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here