Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams vs McGhee

Repugnant Toad said:
The difference being that Micky, one unfortunate, and fairly minor, incident with Dave Cameron aside, dealt with such things in-house, rather than running bleating to the press every time something happened. Hence, he was respected by players and fans alike.

Lets not forget his public humiliation of Kuipers. But that helped turn him into one of the best keepers in the division. Obviously the players respected MA more than they do MM.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Happy Seagull said:
Lets not forget his public humiliation of Kuipers. But that helped turn him into one of the best keepers in the division. Obviously the players respected MA more than they do MM.

He didnt say much to the press about Kuipers did he? He just subbed him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Repugnant Toad said:
The difference being that Micky, one unfortunate, and fairly minor, incident with Dave Cameron aside, dealt with such things in-house, rather than running bleating to the press every time something happened. Hence, he was respected by players and fans alike ... I'm not sure the same quite applies to McGhee.

I certainly can't imagine McGhee getting quite the same reaction when he returns to the club as an opposition manager as Adams repeatedly does.

Would hardly call his treatment of Mark Cartwright or Lee Steele as exemplory. People still go on about the Poison Dwarf but he's a player with a long history of falling out with managers.

Cartwright was frozen out and held up as the scapegoat for ONE lacklustre team display where anyone who saw it jnew that MA got his tactics utterly wrong.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
bhaexpress said:
Would hardly call his treatment of Mark Cartwright or Lee Steele as exemplory. People still go on about the Poison Dwarf but he's a player with a long history of falling out with managers.

Cartwright was frozen out and held up as the scapegoat for ONE lacklustre team display where anyone who saw it jnew that MA got his tactics utterly wrong.

Lee Steele was a fat overweight drink driver, who spent most days in Burgeess Hill Mcdonalds.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Happy Seagull said:
Can't remember too much of what was said. But i remember it being in the Argus that MA said he'd never play again if he ever played as badly as that again.

He play that badly again tho did he!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Happy Seagull said:
I apologise for my mistake.

Just looked it up and he was appointed manager just before they were relegated. And then took them back up at the 1st attempt.

Thats ok, jus dont do it again!:lolol:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

Mouldy Boots said:
Just a question to MM fans.

Why is it no decent size club wants him?

Oh I see.

So to be considered a "good" manager - he has to f*** off out of here like Adams, Taylor and Coppell.

What a great criteria that is! :nono:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

London Irish said:
Oh I see.

So to be considered a "good" manager - he has to f*** off out of here like Adams, Taylor and Coppell.

Dont agree with that question 100% but he does have a slight point - there has been a few clubs in a better postion, ground etc that have been looking for a new manager and none have sniffed aroung Mcghee.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

London Irish said:
Oh I see.

Was that the question? :shootself

It wasn't whether he should want to go, but if anyone else wants him.

Re: Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

Repugnant Toad said:
I'm sure Coventry didn't finish in the bottom six last season; I could have sworn they had a great run towards the end of the year - and he got Leicester promoted to the Premiership!

And Leicester were twice relegated from the Prem while he was manager there too. But much worse was putting them into relegation danger in 2004-05 to League 1 - which is absolutely abysmal for a club of that size and resources - he walked before he got sacked then. And Coventry only survived relegation by the skin of their teeth too in 2004-5 despite him having 4 months in the job - should a club that size have that kind of scare?

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Four months is barely time to turn around a complete mess - although he succeeded insomuch as they didn't go down, and their relatively successful season last year is testament to the ongoing good job he's doing there. I'd be suprised if they're not in the playoffs this year.

Uncle Buck said:
Underperform yes, but somehow still got results until the penalties, something McGhee teams did not seem able to do last year. As annoying as the Sven reign has been, in 15 years when people look purely at the stats it will somehow hold up fairly well, after all football is results driven.

Quite agree, so under McGhee, let's look at the results:

Highest finishing position in the league since 1991

First time we've spent two years in the second tier since 1989-1991

Massive surplus of transfer fees generated for the club in the region of £2.5m

30,000 fans at Cardiff

Every one of those superb achievements.

Repugnant Toad said:
Four months is barely time to turn around a complete mess - although he succeeded insomuch as they didn't go down, and their relatively successful season last year is testament to the ongoing good job he's doing there. I'd be suprised if they're not in the playoffs this year.

....and utter silence on how his career finished in ignomy at Leicester?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here