Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just wondering

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You twist my words.

My assertion was that the financial clout of people like Tescos and to some extent Archer & Stanley worth between them an estimated £400m would have held more sway and they could have afforded to get the best in the business to ensure planning permission. The time schedule they may not have been able to change but paying for the legal team wouldn't have been a problem so it is conceivable that they may have been able to by pass some of the objections and overcome them not definite but a possibility.

Based on past records we would do well to get a regular support of 12 -13,000 as I would estimate our hard core support to be in the regions of 8,000 who would come rain or shine.

As stated earlier we have never had a 30,000 crowd when we were in the first division and like every team we have many fairweather supporters who will come to cup finals etc. My wife is a classic example she went to both FA Cup matches and the Barry Lloyd play off at Wembley but not CARDIFF as she had to work so that I could go.

Potential does not fill stadiums results do and for us to fill Falmer we will need to be playing eithera team such as Sunderland with a large away support or Arsenal or similar in a cup match or be at the top of the league..

It is my view rightly or wrongly that to keep begging money from the supporters is taking the p..s

Finally as I have to go out and may not be at the keyboard for much longer, relief to many no doubt, I hope that you have read my reply to Lord B on another thread as to why I have the opinion that I do.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is room in the city to build a Tesco in a couple of sites - maybe more. Building a stadium is a different matter entirely. The two cannot be compared. Their financial clout in a stadium would not have hled much sway as the City Council approved the stadium site. It is the government and its inquiries (and the NIMBYs of course) which has held things up. No amount of money could change that.

Falmer will be a brand new beast. Initial interest will mean higher crowds for the first few months - say 16-17,000. It is largely up to the playing squad to ensure that the crowds stay up to that level.

Not getting 30,000 crowds in the First Division could also be put down to a factor of (a) the Albion not being top of the table, a position they had occupied for the previous three season, and (b) the massive hooligan element of the day. Plus there was a considerable price hike when we went up.

Asking for donations (begging as you put it) is a sensible course of action, and I do not feel as though I have been taken ths piss out of.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we must agree to differ over the donations and if my memory serves me well the crowd for our 1st game in Div 1 against Arsenal, that b.....d Brady scored and played like a genius was just over 29,000.

Could the NIMBYs have not been bought off with a new village hall or similar. Tesco did this with a sports centre at Broadbridge Heath and Guildford. At Guildford it was set in stone no Sunday opening. no late night opening. What now after building the Spectrum ...........24 hour opening. The only remaining restriction in place is no garage...............time will tell.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Large One said:
:shootself :thud:

Didn't go to Cardiff then?

I suspect, however, that the Albion could really do without your support. It sucks.
Where's the 31000 that went too Wembley in 91 then if your'e gonna use that old chessnut.
Yesterday Harty accuses some bloke of living in the past by mentioning where we were 5 years ago and then when some chap mentions Leon shouldnt be paid championship wages his reply' " he scored a lot of goals last season"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here