Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wayne Rooney to make England comeback

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Err. No it's not... it's genuine competition in its own right and also counts towards a nations world ranking.

Just because UEFA say it’s a tournament it doesn’t mean everyone will take it seriously like they do with the Euro or World Cup qualifiers. England clearly are not by the carry on with Wayne Rooney. It’s nothing more than the window dressing of friendlies.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As a note it has been confirmed rooney wont start and will come on in the second half.

This really isnt that big a deal.

Personally, I think it is a big deal, as it devalues the England Cap, devalues the game and turns the whole game (and possibly the week if he's training with the squad as well) into the same old shitty circus we used to have before Southgate got a grip on things and made it about the football and not the players who just lean on their name and reputation.

Also, what if Dunk gets a game, a FULL ENGLAND CAP, it may become his only cap, a night to be treasured ...... or a night that turns into

"Did you play for England?"
"Yeah, 1 cap, at Wembley vs USA in 2018"
"LOL, oh that was the Rooney charity match wasn't it! Does that game actually count?"

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Just because UEFA say it’s a tournament it doesn’t mean everyone will take it seriously like they do with the Euro or World Cup qualifiers. England clearly are not by the carry on with Wayne Rooney. It’s nothing more than the window dressing of friendlies.

It's more than that though isn't it, because it's a route to qualification for the next Euros. That's more than just UEFA "say[ing] it's a tournament"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Just checking Group A1

Ah yes, Germany are bottom.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Group A

1. France P3 7pts
2. Holland P2 3pts
3. Germany P3 1 pt

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's more than that though isn't it, because it's a route to qualification for the next Euros. That's more than just UEFA "say[ing] it's a tournament"

Come on, it’s a bunch of friendlies dressed up with 4 UEFA spots available at the end. I can’t see any big nation really pushing themselves in this “tournament”. Due to the ridiculous, and convoluted, nature of the UEFA slots nations lesser nations might give a shit but others won’t.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Come on, it’s a bunch of friendlies dressed up with 4 UEFA spots available at the end. I can’t see any big nation really pushing themselves in this “tournament”. Due to the ridiculous, and convoluted, nature of the UEFA slots nations lesser nations might give a shit but others won’t.

You didn't watch Spain vs England then.

A genuinely exciting match. Spain where throwing EVERYTHING to win that game in the second half.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Group A

1. France P3 7pts
2. Holland P2 3pts
3. Germany P3 1 pt

The one good thing I will say about this cup is that I did worry what became of the person who devised the complex, opaque, byzantine and labyrinthian rail ticketing system in the U.K....he clearly now works as head of UEFA Euro qualification.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You didn't watch Spain vs England then.

A genuinely exciting match. Spain where throwing EVERYTHING to win that game in the second half.

No, as previously discussed I was choosing sinks and vanity units for my new bathroom. I missed the German friendly as well....it was taps that night.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

That Spain game didn't look like any friendly I've seen since pre-Sven.

Both teams playing their hearts out, Spain throwing everything at us, while we were defending for our lives. Whatever the "dressing" that you think has been done on these "friendlies" it's worked, because they are competitive games, the teams are playing them to win. Leaving the remaining friendlies as even more precious to the managers as an all too rare opportunity to blood players, and work on tactics / formations.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No, as previously discussed I was choosing sinks and vanity units for my new bathroom.

Which explains your view that they've just dressed up the old friendlies. They haven't mate, watch the games, the teams are properly trying to win these Nations League games.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which explains your view that they've just dressed up the old friendlies. They haven't mate, watch the games, the teams are properly trying to win these Nations League games.

Sadly I don’t have time; it’s kitchens at the moment.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
LOLZ! Do you work for the FA? [emoji23]

Nope.

They were talking about it on the BBC news this morning. They were clarifying why the gate receipts have to be kept by the FA. It's all very boring but it at least quashes the nonsense that the FA are 'pocketing' the receipts which could be passed to Rooney's foundation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I gather the plan now is for him to come on as a late substitution for a token appearance. I'm not totally convinced he'll get the universally acclaimed reception from the crowd that he may be anticipating.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I gather the plan now is for him to come on as a late substitution for a token appearance. I'm not totally convinced he'll get the universally acclaimed reception from the crowd that he may be anticipating.

If he comes on too late there won’t be a crowd!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here