Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wayne Rooney to make England comeback

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, but it does though doesn't it. Have you seen the goals Jake Robinson has been scoring the last year and a bit? But he's not about to get a call-up when it's for Billericay Town is he.

You might still call it "form" but it's not relevant form.

It's a fair comparison but I don't necessarily think that it's reasonable to compare DC United with Billericay Town.

So give the overweight scally a plaque and a minute's applause before the game then and leave it at that :shrug:

He's still playing at a good standard. It's not like he's playing in the Scottish leagues.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a fair comparison but I don't necessarily think that it's reasonable to compare DC United with Billericay Town.

He's still playing at a good standard. It's not like he's playing in the Scottish leagues.

When he came to the Amex with Everton, his legs looked gone, like his next port of call would be USA or China. Oh. Compare and contrast with athletes like Bruno or Glenn Murray. It was sad to see Rooney lumbering around like a middle aged man. The bloke was 33 a fortnight ago. It's like he's semi-retired already.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

You say that, but if in 2013 we were all debating "where will be Bradley Wright-Phillips be playing, and scoring bundles of goals, for the next 5 years" I think the guesses would have been somewhere close to Billericay Town.

I actually amended and upgraded my comparison to Jake Robinson at Billericay Town, from the sumptuous play of mine in my back garden the other week against my nephews 4 years old son. I was simple unstoppable, rolled back the years. Gareth was very dismissive when I emailed him a report of my performance.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You say that, but if in 2013 we were all debating "where will be Bradley Wright-Phillips be playing, and scoring bundles of goals, for the next 5 years" I think the guesses would have been somewhere close to Billericay Town.

I actually amended and upgraded my comparison to Jake Robinson at Billericay Town, from the sumptuous play of mine in my back garden the other week against my nephews 4 years old son. I was simple unstoppable, rolled back the years. Gareth was very dismissive when I emailed him a report of my performance.

This is absolutely it. If anyone thought the MLS was a good enough standard, BWP would've been playing for England already.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When he came to the Amex with Everton, his legs looked gone, like his next port of call would be USA or China. Oh. Compare and contrast with athletes like Bruno or Glenn Murray. It was sad to see Rooney lumbering around like a middle aged man. The bloke was 33 a fortnight ago. It's like he's semi-retired already.

To be fair to Rooney he had played roughly 600 career games in total with no 'break' in top level football for 16 years.

When you consider this is a guy who is clearly not your NATURAL athlete, that must take it's toll.

You have FREAKS like Ryan Giggs. It's not even worth using him as a comparison as he was just something else.

But Really, Rooney's "30" was most players 34/35 in terms of games played.

To put it in context, Rooney has, to date, played 647 games.

Bruno, who is 5 years older, has played 572. About 3 seasons of football behind and 5 years older.

That's not any sort of slight on Bruno. He is also a freak....

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well yes 'form is form' the same as 'brexit means brexit'. Showing 'form' though on its own doesn't qualify you for the national team; to say it "doesn't matter where" is complete bollocks. Otherwise James Norwood (Tranmere Rovers) is due a call up. He's bang in form in League 2.

Whilst he played for England schools and Juniors,I hardly feel that Norwood/Rooney is a fair comparison.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's a bloody travesty. Some fat hasbeen scally takes Sir Glenn's place in the England squad. If you are going to dish a cap out "just because", then let Glenn have his moment of recognition. A bloke who has had to do it the hard way.

And there was I hoping that the future of the England team was looking pretty bright under Southgate. But it turns out he is just another FA nodding donkey after all.

Shame on the FA.......and shame on Southgate.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What does Rooney's charity do? Help people quit smoking, or with an addiction to shagging hookers (or anything in a skirt) while married? Drink driving counselling maybe?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are 2 matches in the international break. The other one is the nations league match vs Croatia, where England either get to the finals, finish mid table, or get relegated !

Besides, international breaks are not just about England.

So we're told this new UEFA Nations Cup DOES matter and yet 3 days before the decisive group game against Croatia the Rooney Circus rolls into town. Absolute joke!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
To be fair to Rooney he had played roughly 600 career games in total with no 'break' in top level football for 16 years.

When you consider this is a guy who is clearly not your NATURAL athlete, that must take it's toll.

You have FREAKS like Ryan Giggs. It's not even worth using him as a comparison as he was just something else.

But Really, Rooney's "30" was most players 34/35 in terms of games played.

To put it in context, Rooney has, to date, played 647 games.

Bruno, who is 5 years older, has played 572. About 3 seasons of football behind and 5 years older.

That's not any sort of slight on Bruno. He is also a freak....

I used to go along with this, or similar, believing that players generally had 10-12 years at the top, max. So, if you are a Michael Owen, starting at 16, then of course you are on a downward spiral by 28. Rubbish that "28 is the peak age" etc, because it all changes with when they started.

But I think we are seeing more an more players proving this wrong these days. From your global superstars like Ronaldo and Messi, through to your more run-of-the-mill top flights pros like Defoe and Millner, there are loads more players these days who breaking through as a teenager doesn't mean you're done by 30. We know so much more about diets, training, recovery routines, and just managing your body through the years, that Giggs and Bruno aren't the freaks out there. The oddities are the guys who don't look after themselves and are washed up early.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst he played for England schools and Juniors,I hardly feel that Norwood/Rooney is a fair comparison.

No of course it isn't. Nor is the PL with the MLS. I was just pointing out the fallacy of the 'form is form' statement. Other factors have to be taken into account.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I used to go along with this, or similar, believing that players generally had 10-12 years at the top, max. So, if you are a Michael Owen, starting at 16, then of course you are on a downward spiral by 28. Rubbish that "28 is the peak age" etc, because it all changes with when they started.

But I think we are seeing more an more players proving this wrong these days. From your global superstars like Ronaldo and Messi, through to your more run-of-the-mill top flights pros like Defoe and Millner, there are loads more players these days who breaking through as a teenager doesn't mean you're done by 30. We know so much more about diets, training, recovery routines, and just managing your body through the years, that Giggs and Bruno aren't the freaks out there. The oddities are the guys who don't look after themselves and are washed up early.

Totally agree. Owen was on a downward spiral as soon as he had the bad injuries and lost his pace. As you say, nothing to do with the age he started playing professional football.

The fair comparison is between Rooney and Ronaldo. At Man United they were both seen as being capable of going on to be truly World class.

Ronaldo worked his arse off, looked after himself impeccably and achieved it (he's still a wanker but it's true). Rooney got pissed, smoked fags, put loads of weight on every off season and was washed up in his early 30s. It's not complicated!

Look at the way that Bruno looks after himself. It's not down to blind luck that he's still so fit.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
At least this will help, mildly, with my Yank colleagues after we're battered 4-0 in their World League Final which to us has become even less important than a meaningless friendly.

Their team is young, athletic and not much else..... but Rooney in any position (help us if it's CM :ffsparr: ) is the worst type of player to 'match up' with them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
2D3E669900000578-0-image-a-2_1444421539050.jpg

So it turns out this charity foundation will benefit not from Wembley gate receipts on the night, but from bucket collections, a text number to donate to, and some shirts being auctioned off. Sigh.

If only the FA had PROPERLY honoured Wayne's achievement of becoming Englands all-time record goalscorer....

Oh.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

So it turns out this charity foundation will benefit not from Wembley gate receipts on the night, but from bucket collections, a text number to donate to, and some shirts being auctioned off. Sigh.

If only the FA had PROPERLY honoured Wayne's achievement of becoming Englands all-time record goalscorer....

Oh.
Ha ha. So the FA are expecting fans to put their hands in their pockets while they keep the Wembley cash?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Oh.

The gate receipts have to be kept as these flow down into grassroots football.

As a note it has been confirmed rooney wont start and will come on in the second half.

This really isnt that big a deal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So we're told this new UEFA Nations Cup DOES matter and yet 3 days before the decisive group game against Croatia the Rooney Circus rolls into town. Absolute joke!

Who said it mattered? The nation’s cup is a friendly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here