Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham United *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Brighton v West Ham

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Friday 5th October 2018
Kick-off: 20:00 BST
Referee: Kevin Friend
Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Simon Beck
Fourth official: Simon Hooper

TEAM NEWS

Brighton & Hove Albion will assess the fitness of Dale Stephens, who missed Saturday's defeat at Manchester City because of a hamstring injury.

Pascal Gross remains sidelined with ankle damage, but Jose Izquierdo is pushing for a first start this season.

West Ham are likely to be unchanged, with Carlos Sanchez and Jack Wilshere among the continued injury absentees.

Javier Hernandez is in full training after overcoming glandular fever but he may not be risked on Friday.

Marko Arnautovic will play despite an ongoing knee problem.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Simon Brotherton: Brighton won both meetings last season but this game comes just as West Ham appear to be making positive strides under their new manager.

After a torrid start under Manuel Pellegrini, the Hammers have beaten both Everton and Manchester United and drawn with Chelsea in their last three games.

Brighton, in contrast, have taken just two points from their last five matches, though the three defeats in that run have come against teams finishing in the top four last season.

Albion haven't lost back-to-back home games in the Premier League since winning promotion two seasons ago, while West Ham haven't won back-to-back away games in the league for 20 months.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "West Ham have hit form and that's no surprise, it was only going to be a matter of time.

"You can't expect or think you'll have any repeat of what happened last year, but of course we want to win and will chase that.

"What we will have to get back to being is having those moments to be clinical again."

West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini: "We are improving. But we must be careful and keep improving because every game in the Premier League is very difficult.

"When results were not good, I never felt any protest from the fans. They trusted in what we were doing and I always trusted in my work and knew we were going to play well.

"The best change we did was to keep things the same."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton won both Premier League meetings last season, including 3-0 away on a Friday.
    [*=left]West Ham have lost all three of their top-flight visits to Brighton. Their only away victory in the last seven attempts in this fixture came in the Championship seven years ago.
    [*=left]The first meeting between these clubs came 115 years ago this month, with Brighton winning 3-2 at home in the Southern League First Division.
Brighton

• [*=left]Chris Hughton's side have only earned two points from the past five matches, although their three defeats in that period all came against sides that finished in the top four last season.
    [*=left]Brighton's only two Premier League wins in 16 attempts both came at home to Manchester United (D5, L9).
    [*=left]They have gone nine league matches without a clean sheet since beating United 1-0 on 4 May.
    [*=left]The Seagulls could lose consecutive Premier League home games for the first time, having been beaten by Spurs in their most recent game at the Amex Stadium.
    [*=left]However, they have lost just one of their last 16 league matches in October (W7, D8), a 2-0 defeat at Arsenal last season.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has scored five goals in his last four league appearances against West Ham, including three last season. He needs two goals to reach 100 for Brighton.
West Ham

• [*=left]The Hammers are looking to secure back-to-back Premier League wins for the first time since January 2017.
    [*=left]Each of West Ham's last seven league victories have been by at least a two-goal margin.
    [*=left]Their current three-match unbeaten league run has ensured they have an identical record to last season of two wins and seven points from seven games.
    [*=left]Marko Arnautovic has been directly involved in 21 goals in his last 26 Premier League appearances, scoring 15 and setting up six.
    [*=left]The Austrian could become the first player to score in three consecutive league away matches for the Hammers since Diafra Sakho four years ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Excited and a little worried..we really do need something from this game. A win would be fantastic, a draw wouldn’t be a disaster. Defeat will lead to another Hughton out thread on here tonight :rolleyes:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Excited also, do like a Friday night game every so often.
But also quite worried about the form West Ham have found. Going to be a very tough game. I'd love to see CH shake it up a little; even just a first start for AJ, but we all know he probably won't. However he will obviously how important today's game is to get something from. Feels like a big one tonight which is great after last week - I find it hard to get that excited by games v the likes of City (especially away) knowing we're just there to keep the score down.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
We are a team that pays no attention what so ever to form, ours or the opponents.
Home win.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Not going to be as easy a ride as it was last season but I think as a 'team' we are more a 'team' than the hammers who are still just a collection of individuals all be it reasonably good individuals.

Keep Arnautovic quiet and I dont think they are anywhere near a threat as they think they are. I predict a tough fought home win :albion2:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
attachment.php
attachment.php

Brighton v West Ham

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Friday 5th October 2018
Kick-off: 20:00 BST
Referee: Kevin Friend
Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Simon Beck
Fourth official: Simon Hooper

TEAM NEWS

Brighton & Hove Albion will assess the fitness of Dale Stephens, who missed Saturday's defeat at Manchester City because of a hamstring injury.

Pascal Gross remains sidelined with ankle damage, but Jose Izquierdo is pushing for a first start this season.

West Ham are likely to be unchanged, with Carlos Sanchez and Jack Wilshere among the continued injury absentees.

Javier Hernandez is in full training after overcoming glandular fever but he may not be risked on Friday.

Marko Arnautovic will play despite an ongoing knee problem.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Simon Brotherton: Brighton won both meetings last season but this game comes just as West Ham appear to be making positive strides under their new manager.

After a torrid start under Manuel Pellegrini, the Hammers have beaten both Everton and Manchester United and drawn with Chelsea in their last three games.

Brighton, in contrast, have taken just two points from their last five matches, though the three defeats in that run have come against teams finishing in the top four last season.

Albion haven't lost back-to-back home games in the Premier League since winning promotion two seasons ago, while West Ham haven't won back-to-back away games in the league for 20 months.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "West Ham have hit form and that's no surprise, it was only going to be a matter of time.

"You can't expect or think you'll have any repeat of what happened last year, but of course we want to win and will chase that.

"What we will have to get back to being is having those moments to be clinical again."

West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini: "We are improving. But we must be careful and keep improving because every game in the Premier League is very difficult.

"When results were not good, I never felt any protest from the fans. They trusted in what we were doing and I always trusted in my work and knew we were going to play well.

"The best change we did was to keep things the same."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton won both Premier League meetings last season, including 3-0 away on a Friday.
    [*=left]West Ham have lost all three of their top-flight visits to Brighton. Their only away victory in the last seven attempts in this fixture came in the Championship seven years ago.
    [*=left]The first meeting between these clubs came 115 years ago this month, with Brighton winning 3-2 at home in the Southern League First Division.
Brighton

• [*=left]Chris Hughton's side have only earned two points from the past five matches, although their three defeats in that period all came against sides that finished in the top four last season.
    [*=left]Brighton's only two Premier League wins in 16 attempts both came at home to Manchester United (D5, L9).
    [*=left]They have gone nine league matches without a clean sheet since beating United 1-0 on 4 May.
    [*=left]The Seagulls could lose consecutive Premier League home games for the first time, having been beaten by Spurs in their most recent game at the Amex Stadium.
    [*=left]However, they have lost just one of their last 16 league matches in October (W7, D8), a 2-0 defeat at Arsenal last season.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has scored five goals in his last four league appearances against West Ham, including three last season. He needs two goals to reach 100 for Brighton.
West Ham

• [*=left]The Hammers are looking to secure back-to-back Premier League wins for the first time since January 2017.
    [*=left]Each of West Ham's last seven league victories have been by at least a two-goal margin.
    [*=left]Their current three-match unbeaten league run has ensured they have an identical record to last season of two wins and seven points from seven games.
    [*=left]Marko Arnautovic has been directly involved in 21 goals in his last 26 Premier League appearances, scoring 15 and setting up six.
    [*=left]The Austrian could become the first player to score in three consecutive league away matches for the Hammers since Diafra Sakho four years ago.

Enjoy the view :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Excited and a little worried..we really do need something from this game. A win would be fantastic, a draw wouldn’t be a disaster. Defeat will lead to another Hughton out thread on here tonight :rolleyes:
Won't be calling for Hughton's head tonight, whatever happens. I want him to stay for the long term. But, lose tonight and I will start worrying a bit about where this season's going. We spent a lot of money in the summer, and I want to see one of the newbies actually set the place alight.

For now, though, I'll think about winning - come on The Albion!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I tell you, I have had a really bad start to the day, and it appears to be continuing, usually things don't turn around for me, if I am having a bad day, it gradually gets worse.....

Should I stay at home ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would like to take this opportunity to offer my unreserved apologies to all those I may upset tonight, as I am potentially* going to be leaving 5 minutes early.

I have to be up at 3am tomorrow morning for a flight so do not want to be hanging around waiting for P&R buses for ages after the game.

*Depends on the state of the match - needs to be a 2 goal margin either way for me to leave early

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Feels massive tonight

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reading between the lines of Hughton in the Argus today it doesn’t sound like Jose will start and absolutely no mention of Stephens. Help me here [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], is Stephens back tonight?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
Reading between the lines of Hughton in the Argus today it doesn’t sound like Jose will start and absolutely no mention of Stephens. Help me here [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], is Stephens back tonight?

Its all over on that rather useful http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?365486-Hughton-and-Injuries-tracker-2018-19/page8 Icy.

Stephens is "close" and CH will make a late decision.
Jose isn't ruled out either. All that article says is he won't play him just because he scored against em last season.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would like to take this opportunity to offer my unreserved apologies to all those I may upset tonight, as I am potentially* going to be leaving 5 minutes early.

I have to be up at 3am tomorrow morning for a flight so do not want to be hanging around waiting for P&R buses for ages after the game.

*Depends on the state of the match - needs to be a 2 goal margin either way for me to leave early

But we're on TV. What will everyone else think of us?!* You're letting us down SOOOOO badly etc. etc. etc. moan moan cry cry berate berate...

*slaps your face in advance for being a bad fan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here