Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India First Test - Edgbaston

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He's right though. Sky pundits like to remain all chummy with with players. Vaughan not afraid to tell it how it is. Our batting has been dreadful for sometime now, but nothing appears to be changing in terms of England's mindset, tactics or selection.
Mindset.

Think like a loser and lose, be positive and give yourself a chance. Today was a new day.

Loving what Sam Curran is bringing to this team.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Bad light with the floodlights on. Test cricket really needs to stop this kind of nonsense.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mindset.

Think like a loser and lose, be positive and give yourself a chance. Today was a new day.

Loving what Sam Curran is bringing to this team.

How does a pundit's mindset impact the team? He's not playing, he's paid to have an opinion. Great performance by Curran, I cannot think of many other positives though.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lots of negativity this morning on TMS, a losers attitude imo, yes we blew a great position yesterday BUT we’re still ahead at the moment especially with India having to bat last.

Man up Vaughan!

Vaughan could see the signs and so could a lot of experienced watchers. England are prone to playing loose cricket at the highest level and regularly and needlessly get themselves in trouble from positions of relative strength. 216-3 should have produced a match winning total and then with India 100-5 and straightforward chances being offered ( including Kohli ) they should have had a first innings lead of 120+ Root gifted India at least 60 extra runs by refusing a Third Man and Kohli and the others just opened the face and ran runs down there. Easy. Didn't have to work for them. When the ball is being edged as often as it was yesterday, then why keep gifting the opposition four runs? Root has a problem with saying no to Anderson and Broad over referrals and it keeps costing us. Almost as if they are the senior pro's and he doesn't like saying no to them. Every bowler in the world wants every close call referred.
Some of our players struggle with the mental transition from limited overs to Test cricket and struggle to show the restraint needed when times are tricky. The best teams in history have found themselves 50-3 and 100-4. It takes time to turn these situations around and it needs skill and application and courage. Some of our players are not technically sound enough to do this.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How does a pundit's mindset impact the team? He's not playing, he's paid to have an opinion. Great performance by Curran, I cannot think of many other positives though.
Perhaps not directly, but it'll certainly create a nervousness to the support which transmits.

I'm sorry, but his words pissed me off this morning. You wouldn't hear Australians talking like that, it'd be what they were going to do to the opposition, not meek surrender.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would be nice if Stuart Broad would make a contribution with the bat.

He has the ability.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perhaps not directly, but it'll certainly create a nervousness to the support which transmits.

I'm sorry, but his words pissed me off this morning. You wouldn't hear Australians talking like that, it'd be what they were going to do to the opposition, not meek surrender.

The Australians crucify their team when they're not winning. Just that doesn't happen for very long (them not winning). Not being able to find an opening partnership for 5 or 6 years and it is the same old early wickets every single test match with apparently nothing changing is tough to come on in the morning and give it a positive spin. What should piss you off even more is that this spineless batting line up couldn't have shoved Vaughan's words down his throat.

Some of the wickets we're giving away is shambolic. I haven't seen 18 jaffers so far, I've seen some batting that lacks conviction, whether to counter attack or just stick around. There is something not right with how they're going out, the way they're building partnerships, who takes responsibility, who takes the strike, how you build pressure on the bowlers. It's really poor, it was poor over the winter, it has been poor for a long while.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Vaughan could see the signs and so could a lot of experienced watchers. England are prone to playing loose cricket at the highest level and regularly and needlessly get themselves in trouble from positions of relative strength. 216-3 should have produced a match winning total and then with India 100-5 and straightforward chances being offered ( including Kohli ) they should have had a first innings lead of 120+ Root gifted India at least 60 extra runs by refusing a Third Man and Kohli and the others just opened the face and ran runs down there. Easy. Didn't have to work for them. When the ball is being edged as often as it was yesterday, then why keep gifting the opposition four runs? Root has a problem with saying no to Anderson and Broad over referrals and it keeps costing us. Almost as if they are the senior pro's and he doesn't like saying no to them. Every bowler in the world wants every close call referred.
Some of our players struggle with the mental transition from limited overs to Test cricket and struggle to show the restraint needed when times are tricky. The best teams in history have found themselves 50-3 and 100-4. It takes time to turn these situations around and it needs skill and application and courage. Some of our players are not technically sound enough to do this.

Saves me having to type something very similar. :annoyed:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Now that's the way to bring up your maiden test 50. Smash Sharma disdainfully for 6

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here