Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Iran v Portugal

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I hate players and managers making the TV Monitor outline. Looks like we're lumbered with that to infinity now!

There've been some perfectly good goals, no controversy in them, where defending players have persuaded the ref to get the VAR process going yet again. Breaking the momentum of the game unnecessarily. Allowing the querying cheats to create uncertainty.

VAR was not intended as a recheck of every goal.

I think that's precisely one of the things it was meant to do. Goals, red cards, penalties, mistaken identity. But yes, you're right in the main - the ref isn't meant to look at all of those a second time as a matter of course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is that all you can come up with after you attacked me like a child

Bit of a low blow to be fair.

Tell you what, why don't you just explain to all of us how you know a referee in a game you didn't watch is better than Stuart Attwell in the Championship?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Bit of a low blow to be fair.

Tell you what, why don't you just explain to all of us how you know a referee in a game you didn't watch is better than Stuart Attwell in the Championship?
Low blow really? Read your own posts.

Again I said a CHAMPIONSHIP level referee wouldnt do better because I have seen them in the flesh and I have seen enough of the WC games to know they would be out of their depth. You came up with a premiership referee in defence who I and many others consider to be paticulary crap but the question was on CHAMPIONSHIP referees. Yes I will bet my right bollock without watching that game that no championship level referee is better because they are even worse. Even if they had VAR.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Low blow really? Read your own posts.

Again I said a CHAMPIONSHIP level referee wouldnt do better because I have seen them in the flesh and I have seen enough of the WC games to know they would be out of their depth. You came up with a premiership referee in defence who I and many others consider to be paticulary crap but the question was on CHAMPIONSHIP referees. Yes I will bet my right bollock without watching that game that no championship level referee is better because they are even worse. Even if they had VAR.

I think you should watch the game. Night night sweet cheeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So who calls for VAR ? The ref, the little studio in the Falkland Islands, or both ?

I could cope if it was the ref only asking for another look. But if it's being called from elsewhere then the game is becoming too mechanical.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The problem for me is that we are not being told what the referee is, unlike other sports it might be the referee not taking advice from the VAR people or it might be the VAR people getting it completely wrong. They are hiding in a veil of uncertainty deliberately. Also some referees have been reluctant to ask for the assistance even when they haven t had a good view of what happened that is ignorance or inexperience.

Can we just nail this down once and for all. The referee CANNOT ASK FOR A VAR REVIEW. He referees the game "as normal", makes all his calls, all his decisions as he normally would during the game, but only gets contacted by the VAR if the bloke in front of a monitor thinks he's missed something, or has dropped a bollock on a call and thinks he needs to review it. Its still ultimately the refs decision on whether he changes his original call, but what he can't do is ask the VAR what he should do.

Now. Tonights game was clearly the most farcical VAR game we have had so far. Several massive delays on some highly marginal calls, when its only supposed to be the 'clear and obvious' stuff, or so we're told, and ultimately, in the end, a truly dreadful penalty decision that has now fundamentally altered the path of the World Cup (and was also a gnats chuff away from getting Portugal knocked out).

Its got a lot of stuff right so far in this tournament, but the chickens certainly came home to roost in this game. Just wait for the knockouts. There is going to be at least one almighty great VARS horlicks that directly results in someone going home. Its in the post, mark my words.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And what I really don't like is that this whole tournament is becoming all about refereeing decisions and VAR. We've ALWAYS had refereeing controversies in the past, with dodgy or questionable decisions. But this new technology has taken it on to a whole new level now. Its getting less and less about the game, and more about the "drama" of the VAR.

Some are probably loving it, but its not for me. Given the choice, I'd bin it off right now and just go back to the man in the middle controlling the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So it doesn't seem to be helping the referee's...just adding more confusion
I wasn't confused, you weren't, the commentators weren't. The ref had a mare. Meanwhile, a perfectly good goal by Spain was rightly given thanks to VAR. And VAR has helped with the correct decision several other times. This is the only one where it's been blatantly wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wasn't confused, you weren't, the commentators weren't. The ref had a mare. Meanwhile, a perfectly good goal by Spain was rightly given thanks to VAR. And VAR has helped with the correct decision several other times. This is the only one where it's been blatantly wrong.

I think thats being generous. We've had some baffling non-decisions as well. Argentina had a clear stonewall pen not given v Iceland (not even reviewed), you've had various all-in wrestling bouts at corners that have been ignored by VAR, you've had that terrible two-footed airborn lunge by Pique last night that was a mandatory red, again ignored, and thats just off the top of my head.

VAR is even more inconsistent than the refs were before we had it. I don't think anyone properly knows where we stand any more, its just a random luck of the draw whether things get picked up on or not.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think thats being generous. We've had some baffling non-decisions as well. Argentina had a clear stonewall pen not given v Iceland (not even reviewed), you've had various all-in wrestling bouts at corners that have been ignored by VAR, you've had that terrible two-footed airborn lunge by Pique last night that was a mandatory red, again ignored, and thats just off the top of my head.

VAR is even more inconsistent than the refs were before we had it. I don't think anyone properly knows where we stand any more, its just a random luck of the draw whether things get picked up on or not.

It appears to me the VAR refs don’t want to undermine the onfield one as in the two footed challenge. That was one of the easiest decisions this World Cup yet not given by the ref and the VAR team didn’t highlight his error, odd very odd

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It appears to me the VAR refs don’t want to undermine the onfield one as in the two footed challenge. That was one of the easiest decisions this World Cup yet not given by the ref and the VAR team didn’t highlight his error, odd very odd

Exactly. And yet that fairly innocuous incident with Ronaldo last night when he brushed past that player gets about a 2 minute review.

The number of pens we are getting is incredible as well. Most times they've been correct, but last nights for Iran was a real stinker. It feels like referees are under pressure to alter their original decision and give the pen - I think I've only seen ONE penalty overturned on review so far (when Neymar conned one against Costa Rica but then had it rightly taken away). Whenever a VAR calls for a penalty review though, it always seems to be given.

Another unwelcome aspect I wasn't expecting is that I thought VAR would lead to LESS playacting, but if this World Cup is anything to go by so far, there's even MORE playacting and exaggeration, as players seem to want to draw attention and make the absolute most of any slight touch. There's always been the usual suspects who try this shit on of course, but its reached truly pandemic proportions in this tournament.

As suspected, VAR has resolved some controversies, but has brought in a whole set of new ones we didn't have before.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've had some baffling non-decisions as well.
Yes we've had a few of those. But those are all poor on-field decisions that VAR hasn't put right. VAR hasn't caused the problem.

I disagree, the random luck on decisions is how it's always been at world cups. You have a huge mix of countries, who each have different experiences with how decisions are made back home, all thrown together with refs who aren't used to seeing those players with their unique brand of play acting or rugby.

We've got referees making some poor decisions, and they need to be better trained.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Well we could go through this all World Cup but doesn't look like either is changing our mind.

Agree to disagree

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well we could go through this all World Cup but doesn't look like either is changing our mind.

Agree to disagree
We're allowed to disagree, right? I don't think it's turned nasty yet. And I don't think people will stop talking about VAR just yet either.

A lot of people don't seem to like VAR, I like it.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
We're allowed to disagree, right? I don't think it's turned nasty yet. And I don't think people will stop talking about VAR just yet either.

A lot of people don't seem to like VAR, I like it.
Of course, why would it get nasty....it's only VAR

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

The ref was clueless, but I think it stems from the guys looking at the decisions from elsewhere. They are only meant to say when there's a clear and obvious error. If they do communicate, it puts the ref under pressure to change his mind. Last night was the first time I can remember that after checking, the ref didn't award what had potentially be missed (a red card offence). I don't think any of the three VAR incidents last night were clear and obvious errors.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Another unwelcome aspect I wasn't expecting is that I thought VAR would lead to LESS playacting, but if this World Cup is anything to go by so far, there's even MORE playacting and exaggeration, as players seem to want to draw attention and make the absolute most of any slight touch. There's always been the usual suspects who try this shit on of course, but its reached truly pandemic proportions in this tournament.

I agree, but I'm optimistically hoping it's just because the players haven't got used to the system yet, i.e. VAR checks everything, so they can't cheat the officials. For the most part, the playacting hasn't led to anything.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Can we just nail this down once and for all. The referee CANNOT ASK FOR A VAR REVIEW.

Yes, loads of people are having a go at the ref, and rightly so, but it all stems from the people looking at the incidents initiating three VAR reviews for potential clear and obvious errors, where in my mind none of those incidents were clear and obvious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here