Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Iran v Portugal

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The penalty decision does provide the opportunity for us to enjoy Uruguay v Portugal. One of them will go out and that pretty much guarantees dummies being spat: fighting, arguing, spitting, kicking or biting. Either Suarez or Ronaldo is odds on to leave the pitch in tears and possible disgrace. You've gotta love the World Cup.

Throw the Barca v Real love in FIRMLY in to the mix and I've got the pair of them off. Might even stick a few quid on it.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Mike Effin Dean would have been better than that clown today. I know what you're saying is technically correct but do you really need to be patronising when we could drag refs out of the Championship who would have stopped that game turning in to a farce?

Are you remembering the championship referees that we had in our last season there? Because they would be as bad if not worse from my memory.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The penalty decision does provide the opportunity for us to enjoy Uruguay v Portugal. One of them will go out and that pretty much guarantees dummies being spat: fighting, arguing, spitting, kicking or biting. Either Suarez or Ronaldo is odds on to leave the pitch in tears and possible disgrace. You've gotta love the World Cup.

This exactly. If the Iran match tonight was nasty, just wait for Uruguay vs. Portugal.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset

... every cloud. Are Paddy Power running a book on Suarez having a goal ruled out by VAR because his teeth are offside?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Thanks for that this is so glorious.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Not me, no. But you can carry on being patronising. I do apologise for upsetting you.

My sincere apologies. I get frustrated with the trend of demonstrably false information being passed around the interwebs. It often starts with people who have an agenda or who are just talking out their arse, who then pass that false information onto others who won't necessarily have any reason to question it, and then it spreads on from there. But I obviously got you mixed up with someone else, so sorry about that.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To be fair some referees have no experience of working with it and others have a lot more, its been rushed in a bit fast.

But its not difficult is it, you get to clearly see something you have missed allowing you to make the correct decision as a professional referee, and get it wrong.
The last 10 minutes of that match, the ref totally lost it, including forgetting to add on extras time.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My sincere apologies. I get frustrated with the trend of demonstrably false information being passed around the interwebs. It often starts with people who have an agenda or who are just talking out their arse, who then pass that false information onto others who won't necessarily have any reason to question it, and then it spreads on from there. But I obviously got you mixed up with someone else, so sorry about that.

No probs. You can have some of this though:

:vuvu: :vuvu:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Are you remembering the championship referees that we had in our last season there? Because they would be as bad if not worse from my memory.

I remember them very well because I write about them. Some were dreadful but, just from memory, Stewart Attwell playing a brilliant advantage at Fulham away and QPR at home in the same season when an incident packed game was controlled perfectly were better referreed than some Premier League games, never mind tonight.

EDIT - had to look it up. Keith Stroud did QPR at home that season and gave an obvious penalty and sending off without the need for seven men in a studio and a monitor.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
But its not difficult is it, you get to clearly see something you have missed allowing you to make the correct decision as a professional referee, and get it wrong.
The last 10 minutes of that match, the ref totally lost it, including forgetting to add on extras time.

The problem for me is that we are not being told what the referee is, unlike other sports it might be the referee not taking advice from the VAR people or it might be the VAR people getting it completely wrong. They are hiding in a veil of uncertainty deliberately. Also some referees have been reluctant to ask for the assistance even when they haven t had a good view of what happened that is ignorance or inexperience.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I remember them very well because I write about them. Some were dreadful but, just from memory, Stewart Attwell playing a brilliant advantage at Fulham away and QPR at home in the same season when an incident packed game was controlled perfectly were better referreed than some Premier League games, never mind tonight.

EDIT - had to look it up. Keith Stroud did QPR at home that season and gave an obvious penalty and sending off without the need for seven men in a studio and a monitor.

One good decision doesnt make up for Attwell for me he would be out of his depth in the WC. Edit to add he is a premiership level refere sadly due to his performances I saw of his this season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Isn’t the game supposed to be about the players?

IMO this is changing the emphasis.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Mike Effin Dean would have been better than that clown today. I know what you're saying is technically correct but do you really need to be patronising when we could drag refs out of the Championship who would have stopped that game turning in to a farce?

The FA did try and offer a replacement but FIFA refused. I disagree with that and think it was extremely short sighted. Relatively speaking, the Premier League has some of the best officials in the world who are used to games of a high magnitude. To be honest, the ref reminded me of Mr Dean who I would hope would never be recommended!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
One good decision doesnt make up for Attwell for me he would be out of his depth in the WC

:facepalm:

I'm not saying Attwell should be at the World Cup. I'm saying he would have done better than the guy in charge today. But then so would Stevie Wonder.

Which part of the advantage he played at Fulham away didn't you like (clue, we scored from it)?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
:facepalm:

I'm not saying Attwell should be at the World Cup. I'm saying he would have done better than the guy in charge today. But then so would Stevie Wonder.

Which part of the advantage he played at Fulham away didn't you like (clue, we scored from it)?

I am saying he wouldnt plus he is actually a premiership referee as of 2016/17 and we were talking championship referees.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't believe that more people aren't pointing the finger at FIFA. It is a travesty that the system hasn't been fine tuned before the World Cup.

Tonight was bad but I fear that is nothing compared to what will happen when the stakes are raised.

The refs tonight have set have set a precedent for reviewing then giving pens on the flimsiest of evidence.

2 year's of preparation by FIFA would have made this a welcome addition, but no testing means we have 3 weeks of farce to look forward to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here