Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Basketmakers reopening in next few days, under new ownership.

In their yesterday and met the new owner. He already has 5 pubs and knows what he's doing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ardingly lost the Oak a while back. Least still got 3 others though said:
The Ardingly Inn
The Oak
Gardeners Arms
White Hart
Avins Bridge
And ????? British Legion?????????????

Lived in Ardingly for 10 years. Moved away 19 years ago.

Does Bradley still run the Ardingly Inn?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You'll be bemoaning the loss of the Kings head and the Norfolk next ;-)

The Arundel Arms . . . . And The Swan in Church St . . .actually I lived there 20 years ago . . . It was virtually a pub, and a den of eniquity if memory serves ;-) happy daze

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Now called the Broad Oak formerly Rainbow Trout in Broad Oak ( Rye )
Think the pub garden was sold off as houses were going up before Xmas

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
White Hart cuckfield has been sold apparently for conversion to a house.

This is the sad reality for so many pubs, at least as a house it can retain something. When the bigger pubs get turned into shit flats ( Surry in Shoreham) or small supermarkets ( numerous ) they're gone forever.

I always quite fancied the idea of a pub as a house, plenty of garaging, big garden and a massive lounge. . . . But you'd end up living on a main road!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is the sad reality for so many pubs, at least as a house it can retain something. When the bigger pubs get turned into shit flats ( Surry in Shoreham) or small supermarkets ( numerous ) they're gone forever.

I always quite fancied the idea of a pub as a house, plenty of garaging, big garden and a massive lounge. . . . But you'd end up living on a main road!

On the same theme, the long since closed Dun Horse at Mannings Heath, has finally been converted into flats, and l have to say it looks really good, even retaining the old pub sign in front of the building.

Yes unfortunate that it will never be a pub again, but at least a near derelict building is being put to good use again.

I have a feeling that we will be revisiting this old thread many times over the coming months and years, as the aftermath of the pandemic begins to really bite, and many more establishments are forced to close.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
White Hart cuckfield has been sold apparently for conversion to a house.

I used to run the Rose and Crown

Harveys are going to be selling a few of their pubs

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
On the same theme, the long since closed Dun Horse at Mannings Heath, has finally been converted into flats, and l have to say it looks really good, even retaining the old pub sign in front of the building.

Yes unfortunate that it will never be a pub again, but at least a near derelict building is being put to good use again.

I have a feeling that we will be revisiting this old thread many times over the coming months and years, as the aftermath of the pandemic begins to really bite, and many more establishments are forced to close.

The demise of pubs has been going on a lot longer than covid. The supermarkets flogging cheap booze has been slowly killing them off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The demise of pubs has been going on a lot longer than covid. The supermarkets flogging cheap booze has been slowly killing them off.

The craft beer revolution has helped pubs and had the opposite effect. It not only helps keep them going but also I can think of a number of new places which have opened up in the past few years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here