Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Return deposit on bottles.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I took this from a website:

“Essentially, the German Pfand system is a cycle. The drinks manufacturer fills his product, for example, beer or water, into returnable bottles. These bottles, and the contents, are sold to wholesalers or retailers. The wholesaler or retailer pays a deposit to the producer. This deposit is then passed on directly to the customer in the form of a surcharge. In the case of wholesalers, there is an extra step in the chain as he passes this on to individual retailers such as your local kiosk. As end customers, we then pay this deposit, or Pfand, to the supermarket, kiosk, Getränkemarkt or whoever and we get it back when we return the bottles. “

And to complete the cycle I presume the original producer then buys bottles back with the deposit money they originally received from wherever they were returned to.

I think you're missing his point.

He's asking how one of the parties on the council would stop him buying two bottles of Pepsi Max in Poundland, when no-one (except him) has ever suggested they would.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think you're missing his point.

He's asking how one of the parties on the council would stop him buying two bottles of Pepsi Max in Poundland, when no-one (except him) has ever suggested they would.

Is that not what control is about stopping people buying the goods and if they do disposing of the bottles in the correct manner. If its not then I have misunderstood the aims.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I would ask again. Or we going back to my childhood when beer and lemonade bottles had 3d deposit on and we took them back to the offie.

yes thats the general thinking, return to deposits.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Returns are a good idea as long as it doesn't ruin existing kerbside recycling.

If I have to take a trip to a recycling bank or tip every time I want to discard some plastic, this would mean a car trip to and from (added pollution and expense), so I probably wouldn't bother unless I was taking a huge load or was dumping a car load of other stuff there. If I can discard plastic with my other fortnightly recycling with little or no bother I will. Getting a nominal deposit won't encourage me to make specific trips to a bottle bank unless it is within easy (walking) reach.
I'm all for it if it irritates the likes of the pair opposite me - in their late 50s I guess, just the two of them there now (kids grown and moved out long ago). They've got the large general waste bin (the one you don't get by default when you apply on the B&H council site for a bin - you have to have a reason for it) and NEVER recycle, ever. Their recycling bin is in their back garden unused. That's why they actually needed the larger waste bin, to fit all their cans, bottles, card/paper, etc in. Wish there was a way to dob them in. They've become grandparents recently and I feel like asking why they don't think about the grandkids with their disregard for recycling. It's so simple once you get into the swing of it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here