Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League Winners playing for Albion

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Having piqued my own interest, I decided to check back through Premier League/League Division One championship-winning squads to try and come up with a definitive post-war list. As it is difficult to know which players were actually awarded medals (I think the criteria has changed over the years and I believe that clubs can ask for additional medals anyway) this is a list of players who went on to play for Albion AFTER they had helped a club win the top flight title (so, a minimum of 1 substitute appearance during the title-winning league campaign). I can't promise there aren't any omissions but I reckon it's as good as we're going to get:-

(All figures given relate to league matches only):-

Bobby Smith:
54-55 Chelsea - 4 appearances
60-61 Tottenham - 36 appearances, 28 goals

Alex Dawson:
56-57 Man United - 3 appearances, 3 goals

Alan Jackson:
57-58 Wolves - 2 appearances
58-59 Wolves - 2 appearances, 1 goal

Geoff Sidebottom:
58-59 Wolves - 3 appearances

Sammy Nelson:
70-71 Arsenal - 4 appearances

Jim Walker:
71-72 Derby - 6 appearances, 1 goal

Jimmy Case:
75-76 Liverpool - 27 appearances, 6 goals
76-77 Liverpool - 27 appearances, 1 goal
78-79 Liverpool - 37 appearances, 7 goals
79-80 Liverpool - 37 appearances, 3 goals

Dennis Mortimer:
80-81 Aston Villa - 42 appearances, 4 goals

Darren Hughes:
84-85 Everton - 2 appearances

Warren Aspinall:
86-87 Everton - 6 appearances (all as sub)

Colin Pates:
90-91 Arsenal - 1 appearance (as a sub)

Matthew Upson:
97-98 Arsenal - 5 appearances
01-02 Arsenal - 14 appearances

Wayne Bridge:
04-05 Chelsea - 15 appearances

Tomasz Kuszczak:
06-07 Man United - 6 appearances
07-08 Man United - 9 appearances
08-09 Man United - 4 appearances
10-11 Man United - 5 appearances

Izzy Brown:
14-15 Chelsea - 1 appearance (as a sub)

Leo Ulloa:
15-16 Leicester - 29 appearances, 6 goals

There is also the case of Abdul Razak: he made an appearance as a sub for Man City in September 2011 during a campaign in which they would win the title. He then joined Albion on loan in February 2012. Technically you could argue he was a title-winner who played for Albion, but at the time he played it wasn't yet known that he was a title-winner.

Just a few points: Bobby Smith is the only post-war Albion player who had won the title with two different clubs. Both Jimmy Case and Tomasz Kuszczak played in 4 different title-winning campaigns, but Case's contribution was far greater. Dennis Mortimer is the only title-winning ever-present who went on to play for Albion (post-war). The Wolves 58-59 title-winning squad is the only one to provide TWO future Albion players and Darren Hughes - who knew? :shrug:

Noah All

Jan 2, 2018
The shed
After being taken to task by BG and others (see earlier posts on this thread) for 'cheating' by using Google, I would like to make it clear that I didn't use Google to come up with a list of Brighton players who had been previous top division champions.

I was pretty sure that Bobby Smith had played in the Spurs double-winning team and Jimmy Case had played in Liverpool title-winning sides. And yes I did use Google to check that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me. What's wrong with that?

BG offers the names of 3 players who may or may not have met the criterion. How are we to respond? In the purest form by racking our brains on players of 30 or 40 years ago? Or by a quick search on Google which BG himself could have done if he knew how?

FWIW I can remember seeing Bobby Smith play for & score for us at the Goldstone Ground. But I would have to consult the Programme Archive for actual dates, attendances & opponents.
Sorry I haven't carried this info around in my head for over 50 years, on the off-chance that one day I might be able to reply to one of BG's fatuous posts.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Blimey Darren Hughes at Everton! Would never have guessed that.
He scored the second goal in the first match I ever went to.
'Twas April 87 in a 2-0 win against the mob up the road. Danny Wilson got the first, and it was also Barry Lloyd's first win as Albion manager

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Currently, a player needs to appear in five matches in a title-winning season to qualify for a medal (inclusive of matches as a playing substitute). This is down from the previous standard of ten matches played beginning in the 2012–13 season.

So Brown can come off that list.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Darren Hughes:
:

I literally have no idea who Darren Hughes is

I, like you, have never heard of this guy. So using BG's nemesis, google, it reveals that he is a left-back who played for Brighton for one season, 86-87 so our relegation season under Mullery / Lloyd. 26 appearances, 2 goals, and so I must have stood on the east terrace with my Dad and moaned at him but I certainly can't remember. Then we sold him to Port Vale for £5,000, making a £30,000 loss in 12 months (who'd have thought our owners were going to get into money trouble?), and he scored against us almost immediately. He played 343 games in his career, 180 of them for Vale and just the 3 for Everton.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Having piqued my own interest, I decided to check back through Premier League/League Division One championship-winning squads to try and come up with a definitive post-war list. As it is difficult to know which players were actually awarded medals (I think the criteria has changed over the years and I believe that clubs can ask for additional medals anyway) this is a list of players who went on to play for Albion AFTER they had helped a club win the top flight title (so, a minimum of 1 substitute appearance during the title-winning league campaign). I can't promise there aren't any omissions but I reckon it's as good as we're going to get:-

Bobby Smith:

Alex Dawson:

Alan Jackson:

Geoff Sidebottom:

Sammy Nelson:

Jim Walker:

Jimmy Case:

Dennis Mortimer:

Darren Hughes:

Warren Aspinall:

Colin Pates:

Matthew Upson:

Wayne Bridge:

Tomasz Kuszczak:

Izzy Brown:

Leo Ulloa:

There is also the case of Abdul Razak: he made an appearance as a sub for Man City in September 2011 during a campaign in which they would win the title. He then joined Albion on loan in February 2012. Technically you could argue he was a title-winner who played for Albion, but at the time he played it wasn't yet known that he was a title-winner.

Just a few points: Bobby Smith is the only post-war Albion player who had won the title with two different clubs. Both Jimmy Case and Tomasz Kuszczak played in 4 different title-winning campaigns, but Case's contribution was far greater. Dennis Mortimer is the only title-winning ever-present who went on to play for Albion (post-war). The Wolves 58-59 title-winning squad is the only one to provide TWO future Albion players and Darren Hughes - who knew? :shrug:

Does Matthew Upson count as he played in The Premiership rather than The Premier League (name change in 2001)?

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
We have had 2 old first division leading top goalscorers.

Anyone name them?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Bobby Smith:

Alex Dawson:

Alan Jackson:

Geoff Sidebottom:

Sammy Nelson:

Jim Walker:

Jimmy Case:

Dennis Mortimer:

Darren Hughes:

Warren Aspinall:

Colin Pates:

Matthew Upson:

Wayne Bridge:

Tomasz Kuszczak:

Izzy Brown:

Leo Ulloa:

That ruined it for me, I was breezing through, Sammy Nelson on the end of my fingertips hoping I'd dug up a nugget, and bosh... ruined!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I admit to missing the days when you could actually have a disagreement with somebody that meant waiting until you could find a reference book to find out who was right. These days you just pull your phone out and the discussion is dead in a minute.

It also nullifies the need to think about something as you can just look it up, can’t be good for the brain :smile:

Surely using Google is similar to the old days when you looked up facts in a book, or programme? If I have to look something up, online, I read two or three different sources to make sure it is a fact.
That way I tend to remember it, although the grey cells are a bit slow nowadays.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surely using Google is similar to the old days when you looked up facts in a book, or programme? If I have to look something up, online, I read two or three different sources to make sure it is a fact.
That way I tend to remember it, although the grey cells are a bit slow nowadays.

Did you used to take books to pubs, clubs and restaurants then? :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here