Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sunderland, Birmingham & Hull City falling to League One--will this happen to the Albion?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Only Arsenal have never been relegated from the top flight.

Arsenal finished 5th in Division Two in the 1914–15 season, but the Football League was then suspended until 1919–20 due to the First World War. After the war, Division One was expanded from 20 to 22 clubs and Arsenal was elected to the First Division for the 1919–20 season.

Still possible Arsenal were never relegated from the top division but they did play in Division Two.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
We won't sink down to league one, but we could have a few Fulham esque seasons with FFP potentially being an obstacle and having to inevitably sell a few key players to balance the books after we lost a lot of money in our push - this is where we differ to a Burnley type club as they have always been a strong business model operating on a profit or smaller losses. A lot hinges on whether we stick with Hughton imo, he would be the safe pair of hands we'd need in the event of relegation but I wouldn't begrudge him if he resigned or went elsewhere, so long as we're smart with any appointment rather than tanking it with someone like Hyypia again. One or two seasons of mid table before building a capable side that can go again

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Arsenal Football Club was founded in 1886 as a munition workers' team from Woolwich, then in Kent, now southeast London. They turned professional in 1891 and joined The Football League two years later. They were promoted to the First Division in 1904 but financial problems meant they were liquidated and reformed. They were bought out by Sir Henry Norris that year and to improve the club's financial standing, he moved the team to Arsenal Stadium, Highbury, north London in 1913. After the First World War he arranged for the club's promotion back to the First Division, in controversial circumstances.

Woolwich Arsenal's future looked bleak until the Football League came to their rescue by inviting them to join in 1893. Arsenal were the first Southern club to enter the League, initially joining the Second Division

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Arsenal_F.C._(1886–1966)

So technically Arsenal were never relegated but they were initially put in Division Two in 1893.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
My mistake.

Economic cost of that project is £88,070,000[15]) on building the new stadium, designed by Archibald Leitch, on a divinity college's playing fields. Woolwich Arsenal moved there in the 1913 close season, having finished bottom and relegated to the Second Division in 1912–13

In 1912-13 Arsenal was relegated to the Second Division.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
i made assumption that as they had the most years in the top league they had not gone down.... back to the school room for me

My mistake.

Economic cost of that project is £88,070,000[15]) on building the new stadium, designed by Archibald Leitch, on a divinity college's playing fields. Woolwich Arsenal moved there in the 1913 close season, having finished bottom and relegated to the Second Division in 1912–13

In 1912-13 Arsenal was relegated to the Second Division.

Arsenal were relegated a long long long time ago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It IS not a question we need to be asking at this stage, as we're still in the Premier League and with a good transfer window we will remain here.

However, it does reflect just how difficult the Championship is, and how the majority of teams relegated from the Prem have struggled to get back up.

It shows how imperative it is to stay up this season, especially as the parachute payments aren't as good for teams who only stay up for the single season.

I have faith in Tony Bloom either way.

I’m not sure it shows how difficult the Championship is. I think it’s more symptomatic of a shit team having their best players leave and being burdened with a lot of disinterested lower skilled players who no one wants to buy and who are happy to sit back and pick up a salary they know they have no chance of securing elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here