Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Jury Service

zoe

Jul 5, 2003
The Mobile Shop Withdean
I'm currently doing jury service. First day was Monday, sat around in a room for most of the day and wasn't picked for a long 8 week trial. That afternoon, and subsequent afternoons, I've received an email to say that I don't need to report to the court the following day. So have had 3 days off. Will wait and see if I'm needed tomorrow and/or next week. It's useful to know that I don't have to go, but turned down 2 weeks work, when I could have been earning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm currently doing jury service. First day was Monday, sat around in a room for most of the day and wasn't picked for a long 8 week trial. That afternoon, and subsequent afternoons, I've received an email to say that I don't need to report to the court the following day. So have had 3 days off. Will wait and see if I'm needed tomorrow and/or next week. It's useful to know that I don't have to go, but turned down 2 weeks work, when I could have been earning.
Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what happens if someone IS selected for a long trial but then says "I have something happening during that time that I can't miss", as the initial commitment to accept a date is based on the service lasting 10 days, give or take.

zoe

Jul 5, 2003
The Mobile Shop Withdean
Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what happens if someone IS selected for a long trial but then says "I have something happening during that time that I can't miss", as the initial commitment to accept a date is based on the service lasting 10 days, give or take.
If they know there's a long case coming up, those selected for jury service at that time are sent a questionnaire to complete. It asks about your availability, holidays and medical appointments; which you need to evidence. They will then take that into account, but unless you are ineligible for jury service, you could still get called up. It's the judge's decision in the end. I'd stated that I was on a zero hour contract so would be out of pocket, whether they too that into consideration or not, I don't know, but those who had said they were 100% available and willing to do it, we're called up for the pool (the pool was 20 people, of which 12 were randomly picked).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Thanks for sharing.

Happened to me the first time I did it. I was selected for a long trial and I got out of it simply by saying I had essential work commitments. I was subsequently selected for a much shorter trial (which as it turned out was a complete waste of time). Most trials only last a few days.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
When i done jury service, i was told that i was not needed in the afternoon or the following day. I was told i could not claim my earnings as they had given me notice. This was no good to me as my workload for the 2 weeks i was expected to be away for was already covered. Had to get proof from work so that i could claim for the days was not needed for jury service.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for sharing.

Not quite - you’re summoned to jury service with an expectation/normality of 10 days but it could be any length of time. If it’s going to be materially longer than 10 days they’ll tell you beforehand, at which point you essentially have to plead your case for being excused on the same principles as you use for deferring……..

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I did Jury Service a few months ago, and ended up on two one-week trials which both ended by Thursday.

Each of them was a "he said, she said" where there was little-to-no contemporaneous other evidence, so in both cases we found the defendent Not Guilty within less than an hour. In one of the cases (with a charge of rape, no less) we were actually instructed by the judge to return Not Guilty because they agreed with both barristers that the CPS/Police case was bobbins.

Edit: ...as I've already posted on this thread, shortly after the event... :facepalm:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thanks for sharing.

Las time i done Jury service had a 3 day case Tuesday to Thursday first week, picked again following Monday 4 day case but on the 2nd day the pleaded guilty, called up and picked again on the Thursday for a case that was expected to last 10 days. I advised them that i would not be able to do due to work. Was told thats fine and and sent home for remainder of week.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yes - it would be good if those of us keen to do jury service (or redo it after 35 years in my case) could volunteer for some sort of list where some us of are more likely to be picked.
Asked about this, but was told that you could be seen as working for the court service, then it can be claimed your not Impartial.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I watched an american TV series last year where one of the jurors, when asked if there was any reason he should not be on the particular case, said "I don't like blacks". So off he went.

So there are getouts.
Worth a try @Bozza ? Just choose whichever prejudice you want based on the defendants looks…

‘I hate fattys’ or ‘Can’t stand his trainers’ or something - see how bizarre you can push it…?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Worth a try @Bozza ? Just choose whichever prejudice you want based on the defendants looks…

‘I hate fattys’ or ‘Can’t stand his trainers’ or something - see how bizarre you can push it…?
"Is the defendant a Crystal Palace fan? If so, I don't need to hear anything - he's guilty."

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In Palmeira Square, awkward, we saw the defendant wandering around with presumably his family. A big 25 year old, quite intimidating. A few days later we found him guilty of GBH and he got 6 years. Throughout he had an ultra confident air.
You should’ve played a game of each taking it in turns to shout his name - but it has to get louder each time. And whoever he eventually hears has to buy the lunch..?

Not sure I’m mature enough for jury service yet…

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I would hate to be selected.
Mostly because I am self employed and would definitely lose money and turn down work from existing regular customers.
There must be plenty of people like yourself that want to be selected and lots that get selected but it inconveniences them.
It’s ok mate… if it happens I’ll look after the work and customers for you no problemo 👍

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Imagine being a self-employed juror involved in a long trial, it could drive your business into the ground. It's one thing doing your civic duty, but...

After years of being employed, I got called up just over 10 years ago, about 9 months after I had left full time employment (who would have paid me :facepalm:) and retired. I had gone part-time self-employed and it was before I had submitted my first year's accounts. I provided evidence of my average daily income and was paid that. It was a wee bit more than the figures quoted on this thread.

I now have about 13 years of accounts and would expect to be paid similarly. I really can't believe I'm different from any other part time self employed person :shrug:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here