Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] World's Hardest Creature XI: Nominations

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
I'll second Bull Shark, Cassowary and The Immortal Jellyfish.

It's page 10 but I'm pretty sure mine is the first nomination for:

Tasmanian Devil
Mongoose
Polar Bear (!!)
Poison Dart Frog
Grizzly Bear
Sun Bear
Great White Shark (!!)

all seconded.

I'll add the cockroach if it hasn't already been nominated - it can survive a Nuclear explosion for god's sake!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
At this point we possibly need a ruling on this. Does the 'World's Hardest Creature' entry criteria span the entirety of Life, or just the Eukaryota, or just the Animal Kingdom? I think this is important to define the boundaries of our nominations

My head hurts. If only we had a zoologist on hand to make a ruling.

What do you reckon KG? Help!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Good morning all. And isn't it a lovely morning. For some reason I seem to have woken up in a particularly good mood.

Nominations close at midnight tonight so it's your last day to get those nominations in. If 40 creatures are not seconded I shall hold a draw for the remaining nominees to bring the number up to that required for the group stages.

And if anybody has a view on where we stand of all of life v eukaryotes v animal kingdom then I'm all ears.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Cape Buffelo

This large African animal is also known as ‘the black death.’ It’s for a solid reason. In Africa, it’s one of the animals that responsible for the most number of fatal attacks. This animal is unpredictable and aggressive. When disturbed or attacked, a cape buffalo would attack anything, even a large predator like lions.

A matured cape buffalo stands 6 feet in height and weigh close to a ton. The most noticeable feature and primary weapon of Cape buffalos are their large, thick horns. When a member of the herd or a calf being disturbed, they would charge with their massive horns. Attack from such a large animal like cape buffalo could result in severe injuries or even death.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
B9CA5F11-0BCF-4D81-A1EC-31BDA0023F53.jpeg

The one and only Blue Diamond Tiger Shrimp

Not only is impossible to keep these crustaceans in a tank as they can cut the glass by rubbing their shells against it, but the have been known to break the teeth of sperm whales, as they are that hard.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
all seconded.

I'll add the cockroach if it hasn't already been nominated - it can survive a Nuclear explosion for god's sake!

I'll second cockroach.
Also Orca.

And nominate Colossal squid and Brazilian Wandering Spider.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The chap has the world at his feet and can lift over 1000 times it's own body weight and walk off with it into the sunset , so i nominate the Dung beetle , it's well ard .

main-qimg-a5d7d326e25caf390a8c6642841ca0f4

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Good morning all. And isn't it a lovely morning. For some reason I seem to have woken up in a particularly good mood.

Nominations close at midnight tonight so it's your last day to get those nominations in. If 40 creatures are not seconded I shall hold a draw for the remaining nominees to bring the number up to that required for the group stages.

And if anybody has a view on where we stand of all of life v eukaryotes v animal kingdom then I'm all ears.

Don't plants come under Eukaryote? On that basis I'd say Animal kingdom.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
View attachment 92691

The one and only Blue Diamond Tiger Shrimp

Not only is impossible to keep these crustaceans in a tank as they can cut the glass by rubbing their shells against it, but the have been known to break the teeth of sperm whales, as they are that hard.

Fantastic nomination. Definitely seconded.

It looks equally EVIL and MENTAL = perfect for this competition.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Don't know how many of these have already been nominated because I cant be arsed to trawl back through the thread..........

Poison Dart Frog
Tsetse Fly
Tapeworm
Australian Box Jellyfish
Mosquito
Freshwater Snail

are all fairly unpleasant in their unique but different ways.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I would like to put forward Nautiloids.

A species that has existed for over 500 Ma from the Cambrian to the present and represented today on earth by Nautiloid pompilius.

6802f838c4b105a23b9ab5ac2c862868.jpg

This predatory mollusc can be found today in the Indian Ocean and around Australasia between depths of 100 - 700m.

It uses a sophisticated chamber system to control buoyancy and can squirt a jet of water from a cavity known as a hyponome in any direction allowing it to prey on unsuspecting benthic fauna.

It not only has a cool name but looks double hard with its steely looking eyes, grappling tentacle like appendages and it’s powerful beak.

Any creature that can survive 500 million years, remaining relatively unchanged by evolution and sit proudly near the apex of its food chain is surely worthy for consideration of this great title?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely someone can find it in them to second my prehistoric leviathan?

The thing is simplistic, calculated and has endured 500 million years of unchallenged rivalry at the top of its respective food chain. If that doesn’t scream double hard ******* I don’t know what does!!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Surely someone can find it in them to second my prehistoric leviathan?

The thing is simplistic, calculated and has endured 500 million years of unchallenged rivalry at the top of its respective food chain. If that doesn’t scream double hard ******* I don’t know what does!!

Yeah go on then.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Don't know how many of these have already been nominated because I cant be arsed to trawl back through the thread..........

Poison Dart Frog
Tsetse Fly
Tapeworm
Australian Box Jellyfish
Mosquito
Freshwater Snail

are all fairly unpleasant in their unique but different ways.

I'll second your jellyfish. I' not entirely sure whats hard about a tsetse fly, or a mosquito for that matter although its an annoying ****er. Explain more on the snail?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My head hurts. If only we had a zoologist on hand to make a ruling.

What do you reckon KG? Help!

Well. life is divided into three domains, eukaryotes, archaea and bacteria. Eukaroytes have a nucleus and other organelles enclosed inside membranes, and can reproduce sexually, the other two do not and cannot. There's a lot of hard ****ers amongst the Archaea and Bacteria, things that can live in hundreds of degrees heat, all kinds of horrendous environments (including space) and nasty bugs like your Staphyloccus nominated above.

Within your Eukaryotes there are a number of different Kingdoms and Supergroups: Animals, Plants and Fungi, as well as your Excavata (including Trypanosomes) and Amoebozoa (including Plasmodium). So I can understand not nominating stinging nettles, red hot chilli's and your death cap mushroom, although they would all add a certain joie de vivre to the competition, but restricting to Animals does mean we lose malaria and sleeping sickness which I was looking forward to supporting.

Perhaps the winner of the World's Hardest Animal can take on the World's Hardest Amoeba and the World's Hardest Fungus in some kind of ultimate deathmatch. My money is on the latter :thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anybody want to second the Sperm Whale?

Moby-Dick-2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here