Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So how much will it take to land Dembele?...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
We definitely are, did you see the sky interview after the game yesterday? Hughton had the opportunity to rule the interest out but chose not too.

Yep, basically to the recruitment team/board "get him asap"

I think he'd be perfect, Izquierdo, Knockaert and Dembele rampaging at defences on the counter? Glorious.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Amazing how many times you’re in the right place for people in itk to tell you what’s happening. Must be your trusting face.

Read my post again it starts I AM TOLD as I wasnt there. It is also dependant on the surrounding company using the old Goldstone as an example if you stood on the east terrace you wouldnt hear as much tittle tattle as if you had a seat in the Executive Club. Similaryl nbow I would think you will hear more in the 1901 than in Upper West. I only ever go to Lower West but people still talk and some will be ITK.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
WHOA, WHOA WHOA.... I'm not having that.
Darren Bent - 2 in 5 - Would have signed him if Derby didn't step in.
Leon Best - Less said about Leon the better
James Wilson - Pretty decent till whatever illness he had ruined his season
Bobby Zamora - Class
Tomer Hemed - Exactly what was needed to get us out of the championship - been an excellent signing
Glenn Murray - Along with Hemed, a big reason we were promoted, and done well this season.

In addition he got Sam Baldock playing well, before he has vanished from trace since his injury.

The failure has been not signing a premier league level striker this season, not what has happened previously. Best apart he has a good track record with us, and one most managers would be pretty happy with.

Yeah it's a myth based purely on Wolfswinkel. He loaned in Harry ****ing Kane at Norwich.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
IMO Brighton can’t afford to wait until the end of January to sign a striker, if reports are true and CH has asked Dembellend if he wants to sign for us then I can tell you now he ain’t gonna sign anytime soon. Celtic are off to Dubai for warm weather training and you can bet your life his toerag Agent has told him to sit tight until They return. I would rather take Andone at a lesser fee and get him adjusted to our style of play pretty sharpish!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I am told it was the general converstaion in the seats with somebody who said he was ITK hence me doubting the authentiicity of it but I can also understand the sentiment about relegation clause as West Ham will not consider they will be relegated so it doesnt come into play as opposed to us.

As best I understand it there are 4 people at Brighton ITK!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Murray Zamora and Bent proven Premier players to play in a Championship side Hemed a cheap buy playing in a foreign league so not a great deal to lose . Wilson a young loan so again nothing to lose if he succeeded or not. Van Wolfswinkel and as Dembele would be, expensive signing which will make or break us. He failed with VanWolfswinkel. Can we afford to take the chance on Dembelle? I dont know.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
why haven't we simply got this sorted prior to the window opening so we can just sign the paper work and we done with it. We've known since August that we need a striker. The ground work should have been completed./

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
why haven't we simply got this sorted prior to the window opening so we can just sign the paper work and we done with it. We've known since August that we need a striker. The ground work should have been completed./

I agree the striker should be at Lancing having a medical. Mind you he could be for all we know but realistrically based on previous windows he will not arrive and on 1st Feb it will be announced that we had 3 lined up but for varying reasons none of them signed..

Re this baloney about signing right at the start of the window, or even before.

If I were a good premier league striker looking for a move why on earth would I sign in advance or at the start of the window?

The only reason is if I was 100% certain that any offer on the table would be the best I was going to get.

I might sign for Liverpool like Van Dyke did but I'm not going to sign for Brighton until my agent has checked out any other potential offers.

Some people on here seem to think that we deliberately wait till the end of the window, don't you think CH and everybody else involved would want to sign as early as possible in the window? But that needs the player to agree, and why would he do that?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Re this baloney about signing right at the start of the window, or even before.

If I were a good premier league striker looking for a move why on earth would I sign in advance or at the start of the window?

The only reason is if I was 100% certain that any offer on the table would be the best I was going to get.

I might sign for Liverpool like Van Dyke did but I'm not going to sign for Brighton until my agent has checked out any other potential offers.

Some people on here seem to think that we deliberately wait till the end of the window, don't you think CH and everybody else involved would want to sign as early as possible in the window? But that needs the player to agree, and why would he do that?

Devil's advocate: Or if a club was prepared to meet my demands in terms of wages, bonuses, contract length etc why not sign immediately? Perhaps that offer is no longer there towards the end of the window.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Murray Zamora and Bent proven Premier players to play in a Championship side Hemed a cheap buy playing in a foreign league so not a great deal to lose . Wilson a young loan so again nothing to lose if he succeeded or not. Van Wolfswinkel and as Dembele would be, expensive signing which will make or break us. He failed with VanWolfswinkel. Can we afford to take the chance on Dembelle? I dont know.

Mourinho got it wrong with Shevchenko at Chelsea
Ferguson got it wrong with Forlan
Guardiola got it wrong with Keirrison at Barca

No manager has an impeccable record on transfers, to say he's a failure because he got one wrong a while ago is doing him a massive dis-service.

Devil's advocate: Or if a club was prepared to meet my demands in terms of wages, bonuses, contract length etc why not sign immediately? Perhaps that offer is no longer there towards the end of the window.

I'd still want to check out other possibilities before I signed. It's a sellers market and a seller will tend to get a better deal towards the end of the selling period, especially if it is a competitive market and the product is in short supply. Such as decent Premier League strikers.. Yes a player takes a risk that there might not be a better offer forthcoming but I definitely wouldn't sign right at the beginning of a window. I'd sooner wait until the buyers were getting desperate, not right at the end of the window, just towards the end, certainly not on day 1.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Reading the Celtic forum shows many up there who haven't rated his performances all season. Well out of form apparently, some even saying they would bite clubs hands off for 15m. Not sure this kid is the short-term answer to our attacking issues.

Laughable how deluded some of their fans are. They may have history and have a European platform but they would struggle big time in this league.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mourinho got it wrong with Shevchenko at Chelsea
Ferguson got it wrong with Forlan
Guardiola got it wrong with Keirrison at Barca

No manager has an impeccable record on transfers, to say he's a failure because he got one wrong a while ago is doing him a massive dis-service.

None of those paid a record fee well in excess of their previous record plus they were all at clubs that could afford the mistake, as with Norwich we cant.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'd still want to check out other possibilities before I signed. It's a sellers market and a seller will tend to get a better deal towards the end of the selling period, especially if it is a competitive market and the product is in short supply. Such as decent Premier League strikers.. Yes a player takes a risk that there might not be a better offer forthcoming but I definitely wouldn't sign right at the beginning of a window. I'd sooner wait until the buyers were getting desperate, not right at the end of the window, just towards the end, certainly not on day 1.

Like I said, I was playing devil's advocate to an extent.

However, this thread is predominantly about Dembele who is not (yet) a decent Premier League striker. I would be very surprised if we sign one (a DPLS.) The market we are operating in will not be the same as top 6/7 Premier League clubs and the targets I would expect us to have (similar to the last window) are not going to have THAT many better offers than we would make as it's only really the remaining Premier League clubs (plus the likes of Wolves or another Championship club gambling on promotion) that will stump up the cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here