[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Hinds have a new album out in the spring

As do Goat Girl

Some recent releases for those who like electronica

Silvia Kastel - Air Lows released by Blackest Ever Black

Cucina Povera - Hilja. Artist is a Finn based in Glasgow.

https://soundcloud.com/paper-dollhouse/haze-1
Paper Dollhouse - The Sky Looks Different From Here

Bas Jan is the current project of Serafina Steer which has elements of post punk, album streaming now and physically released in a fortnight.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The latest, Resolve, from Brighton based talent Poppy Ackroyd is absolutely stunning. Up there with her previous stuff.

download.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Really sorry if already talked about, but loving this right now;

[yt]tIVB9x-HDzg[/yt]

Mid-era Nine Inch Nails-ish palette of noises, in with some aggressive shoegaze/post punk, and someone even suggested Pearl Jam. An intriguing concoction.

From the new album Criminal, probably my album of 2018 so far.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really sorry if already talked about, but loving this right now;

[yt]tIVB9x-HDzg[/yt]

Mid-era Nine Inch Nails-ish palette of noises, in with some aggressive shoegaze/post punk, and someone even suggested Pearl Jam. An intriguing concoction.

From the new album Criminal, probably my album of 2018 so far.

I remember really liking their debut, I think they played TGE around the time. Completely lost touch with them, will give this a go.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone into facemelting guitars might want to check out the new No Age effort 'Snares Like a Haircut.' Seems to be a return to form after the relative disappointment of 2013's 'An Object.'

I'm a little disappointed by the new Ty Segall. Seems the rowdy stuff is toward the end. Will persevere though.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
With my 80s head firmly on I have just bought the latest offering from Midge Ure, which is called Orchestrated, and strangely it is orchestral rearrangements of some classic Ultravox tracks mixed in with a few of Midge's own compositions.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea or edgy, but I love it...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm a little disappointed by the new Ty Segall. Seems the rowdy stuff is toward the end. Will persevere though.

Well, I like it a lot, and think it shows his pop sensibility and songwriting panache. It's clearly a change in direction, is ambitious and, as a consequence, doesn't all work. I really like the range of songs and styles on it. That said, I still having got my head around how much I like it. It's probably better than his previous offering, and certainly nowhere near the standards of Manipulator (although I'm struggling to think of anything that is this decade). It's where it sits alongside the likes of Twins, Melted, Slaughterhouse that I haven't been able to work out yet.

Although I will note that it's attracted remarkably little attention on this thread, which sounds like I'm in a minority.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Brighton’s very own Ocean Wisdom dropped his new album; Wizville, yesterday. One of the most interesting list of features you’ll see on a Hip-Hop album this year. It’s a testament to how good OW is when a young rapper from Brighton can get the likes of Dizzee Rascal, Roots Manuva, Rodney P & Method Man (yes, that one) on only his second album.

It’s my favourite album this year by a mile. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. It’s mad to think the best flow in the world is spitting about Western Road.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Well, I like it a lot, and think it shows his pop sensibility and songwriting panache. It's clearly a change in direction, is ambitious and, as a consequence, doesn't all work. I really like the range of songs and styles on it. That said, I still having got my head around how much I like it. It's probably better than his previous offering, and certainly nowhere near the standards of Manipulator (although I'm struggling to think of anything that is this decade). It's where it sits alongside the likes of Twins, Melted, Slaughterhouse that I haven't been able to work out yet.

Although I will note that it's attracted remarkably little attention on this thread, which sounds like I'm in a minority.

I wasn't totally sold on Manipulator to be fair. I'm not sure I ever wanted Ty Segall to show his pop sensibility. I also preferred it when TS released 1,000,000 different sounding albums, rather than releasing bloated records less frequently.

Yeah I'm surprised too. Aside from my minor gripes, he's great and one of the best out there live.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Brighton’s very own Ocean Wisdom dropped his new album; Wizville, yesterday. One of the most interesting list of features you’ll see on a Hip-Hop album this year. It’s a testament to how good OW is when a young rapper from Brighton can get the likes of Dizzee Rascal, Roots Manuva, Rodney P & Method Man (yes, that one) on only his second album.

It’s my favourite album this year by a mile. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. It’s mad to think the best flow in the world is spitting about Western Road.

'Ere Whitechapel. I've been having a bit of a Kool Keith revival recently and a friend suggested I give this a listen. I think it's great. Apologies if you've already mentioned it

https://billywoods.bandcamp.com/

Will give that Ocean Wisdom a go for sure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, 2018. Nils Frahm and Hookworms are both getting endless play at Tubthumper Towers and on the horizon is the new Daniel Avery and the new Jon Hopkins. Think it’s going to be a good year.

Decided to get some tickets for Frahm as well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Record Store Day listing is out. 21st April is the day itself and no match to prevent me from getting involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here