Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo: was he right to shoot?

Izquierdo: was he right to shoot?

• Yes, shooting was the right thing to do

Votes: 134 63.2%
  • No, he should have squared to Propper

Votes: 78 36.8%

• Total voters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly this. We had other shots that were blocked when another pass could have lead to a better opportunity. Izquierdo had every right to take the shot. We know he missed so it's easy to say now he should have passed it, but I don't begrudge him the shot, and think the question should be better phrased - he didn't score so it's hard to say he wasn't right, but that involves hindsight and is unfair. If he knew he wasn't going to score, I'm sure he would have passed. But he felt he could score, and I won't criticise him for taking the shot.

I'm still more frustrated that we didn't make better substitutions, leaving a tired team on for too long.

Good post @Acker79 , Murray was running on empty, surely Kayal instead of Brown would have been better, giving the amount of ball Bournemouth were gaining towards the end.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Exactly this. We had other shots that were blocked when another pass could have lead to a better opportunity. Izquierdo had every right to take the shot. We know he missed so it's easy to say now he should have passed it, but I don't begrudge him the shot, and think the question should be better phrased - he didn't score so it's hard to say he wasn't right, but that involves hindsight and is unfair. If he knew he wasn't going to score, I'm sure he would have passed. But he felt he could score, and I won't criticise him for taking the shot.

I'm still more frustrated that we didn't make better substitutions, leaving a tired team on for too long.
Good post
:thumbsup:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He had no choice in the end as he inadvertently touched the ball with his left foot whilst looking up to see where the goalie was. This pushed the ball too far ahead of him and too close to the goalie. A mistake. It happens.

He was fantastic today other than that.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Hughton always seems reluctant to use his subs. I know he wasn't on the bench but I think Baldock would have enjoyed that today

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Surely he practices going round keepers, really poor. Cole used to practice till it was second nature.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

This with knobs on - not hindsight either; I guessed as soon as Smug Eddie started shaking up his line up he would out-substitute CH; really disappointed with that today.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This with knobs on - not hindsight either; I guessed as soon as Smug Eddie started shaking up his line up he would out-substitute CH; really disappointed with that today.

agreed - giving Brown 4 minutes was ridiculous, we had players out on their feet at 75 mins and we should have changed. Howe made changes and they really had an impact, credit to him....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1 v 1 with the keeper, you shoot.

Unless you're Duffy, in which case you should pass, even if there's no teammate within a mile.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

We'd decided to give Izquierdo the full 90 fairly early as he was thrown an energy gel around 65 mins and they were terrified of him. The issue was Bruno having to come on. That meant only 2 of the attacking 4 could possibly have been changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We'd decided to give Izquierdo the full 90 fairly early as he was thrown an energy gel around 65 mins and they were terrified of him. The issue was Bruno having to come on. That meant only 2 of the attacking 4 could possibly have been changed

That does nothing to explain:
-why we didn't use the third substitution
-why take gross off when propper and stephens are dead on their feet and being passed by by the game
-why wait until the 87th minute to take gross off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That does nothing to explain:
-why we didn't use the third substitution
-why take gross off when propper and stephens are dead on their feet and being passed by by the game
-why wait until the 87th minute to take gross off.

You're right of course, I should have written more. I really meant our plans were too fluid. We'd gambled on Izquierdo doing a full 90 but with the game so close we were neither in a position to attack it, nor shut up shop. A goal either way then changes the required player and we only had two to choose from. In the end we decided to stick with what we had. I don't agree with it necessarily and think you're right about midfield and the third sub. However, about 5 of our players were knackered and with no game changers on the bench we could only have made a tactical sub.

In other words CH caught in 2 minds.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Of course not. Taking the course of action he did gave us a reasonable chance of scoring (say, 60%). Had he squared to propper we would have had something like a 95% chance. Seeing as contributing to victory should be every player's objective he made the wrong decision.

On a separate note, an excellent and exciting performance.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Whaaatttttttt? Of course he should have bleeding passed. It was a simple ball to propper who would have scored. Indefensible

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolutely, in my opinion. He'd earned the right to shoot, set up 2 goals previously, squared before when he could of shot, and to be fair, after that run who wouldn't of shot?

He earned his chance to take a punt, would have been amazing to get it in the net. I think he was right to take a chance. I think. Though had he squared it 3 assists. Well. I voted yes he was right to shoot. Not 100% sure though

His last touch was his one mistake today, other tan that he had a cracking game.

Agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here