[Albion] How the club does transfers, from Paul Barber

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
for some reason ? Blimey.
Here's the reasons according to PB :)

WE HAD PLENTY OF SPENDING MONEY: "we didn’t lose out on players because we couldn’t, or wouldn’t, meet a particular transfer fee or a wage demand; neither did we break our wage structure to secure the players we did bring in."

BAD LUCK:" finances aside, failed medicals are rare – we had 2; players being recalled to their club at the point of signing for another because of an injury/issue affecting a team mate are even more unusual – again, we had 2."

WE DID OUR DUE DILIGENCE: "these issues don’t mean our scouting or due diligence was flawed; quite the opposite. Our medical staff were excellent in detecting unforeseen issues. We’re spending millions of pounds. We won't take risks."

VINCENT JANSSEN DIDN"T FANCY IT "when a player decides not to join a club, it’s often about him wanting to stay with the club he’s at, rather than snubbing the club courting him; the two things are very different, albeit we know the net result is the same. "

NO IT WASN'T TIM KRUL's fault "and, no, we didn’t miss out on a loan striker because we signed a loan GK; we took a conscious decision to take an excellent loan GK when the opportunity arose. "

etc etc

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...nsfer-Window&p=8109739&viewfull=1#post8109739

Timing was the biggest problem. By leaving the deals to the last minute we were always going to suffer if the unexpected happened as we had no time to look at alternatives. That is the lesson that must be learned. Not landing a striker has cost us plenty of points so far and we can’t repeat the mistake if we want to stay up.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Totally trust the team at BHA and do not see any failure in past, present or future deals that don't come off because of x,y,z.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Yes but that deal looked really silly from the outside. Way too much money for a Swiss second division player..... IMHO

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Absolutely. If we spend months lining up a player, why didn't we take a punt on Dwamena in Jan 2017, when he went to FC Zurich for £540k and save £9.5m!! How did a few months playing in Switzerland increase his value 20 fold? 2 goals for FCZ in last 12 games suggests £10m was a bit far fetched and that maybe we dodged a bullet with this one.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Timing was the biggest problem. By leaving the deals to the last minute we were always going to suffer if the unexpected happened as we had no time to look at alternatives. That is the lesson that must be learned. Not landing a striker has cost us plenty of points so far and we can’t repeat the mistake if we want to stay up.

"it’s a complete myth that the best transfer business is always done early; if transfers can be done early in the window, they will be. If transfers are not done early, there’s usually a very good reason.

- equally, it’s a myth that transfers late in the window are “panic buys” or the player must have been “low on our list”; it can be the complete opposite: sometimes transfers just take all the time available."

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
"it’s a complete myth that the best transfer business is always done early; if transfers can be done early in the window, they will be. If transfers are not done early, there’s usually a very good reason.

- equally, it’s a myth that transfers late in the window are “panic buys” or the player must have been “low on our list”; it can be the complete opposite: sometimes transfers just take all the time available."

But we didn’t manage any striker business, early or late. Get one in early, even if not top of the list, as insurance in case things go wrong. It’s not rocket science

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But we didn’t manage any striker business, early or late. Get one in early, even if not top of the list, as insurance in case things go wrong. It’s not rocket science

It's difficult to convince a striker to join you if he doesn't feel he is going to play. Signing someone knowing he is only coming in just in case you don't get who you really want further down the line. Man City can afford to pay top dollar for players to sit on the bench or in the stands. It's difficult for a club like Brighton to hunt down players who largely may not play

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He already stated that agents sometimes leak info as they are trying to get the best deal for their player (and themselves). Club have no control over that. Neither do they have any control over a selling club letting things slip.

Spurs leaked the Pritchard deal, which alerted Norwich. A blatant breach of transfer rules, but the Football League did nothing.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
for some reason ? Blimey.
Here's the reasons according to PB :)

WE HAD PLENTY OF SPENDING MONEY: "we didn’t lose out on players because we couldn’t, or wouldn’t, meet a particular transfer fee or a wage demand; neither did we break our wage structure to secure the players we did bring in."

BAD LUCK:" finances aside, failed medicals are rare – we had 2; players being recalled to their club at the point of signing for another because of an injury/issue affecting a team mate are even more unusual – again, we had 2."

WE DID OUR DUE DILIGENCE: "these issues don’t mean our scouting or due diligence was flawed; quite the opposite. Our medical staff were excellent in detecting unforeseen issues. We’re spending millions of pounds. We won't take risks."

VINCENT JANSSEN DIDN"T FANCY IT "when a player decides not to join a club, it’s often about him wanting to stay with the club he’s at, rather than snubbing the club courting him; the two things are very different, albeit we know the net result is the same. "

NO IT WASN'T TIM KRUL's fault "and, no, we didn’t miss out on a loan striker because we signed a loan GK; we took a conscious decision to take an excellent loan GK when the opportunity arose. "

etc etc

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...nsfer-Window&p=8109739&viewfull=1#post8109739

I see others have answered and your list is long but it doesnt excuse the fact that we failed to land our most important signing. No one is saying we didnt try and that things went against us. I hope as you probably do that you arent writing a similar list come February. I will stand by my point that i hope we are a long way into the process at this point.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It's difficult to convince a striker to join you if he doesn't feel he is going to play. Signing someone knowing he is only coming in just in case you don't get who you really want further down the line. Man City can afford to pay top dollar for players to sit on the bench or in the stands. It's difficult for a club like Brighton to hunt down players who largely may not play

You don’t tell them they aren’t No 1 target obviously. As it turns out they probably would have been playing all the time.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Spurs leaked the Pritchard deal, which alerted Norwich. A blatant breach of transfer rules, but the Football League did nothing.

I thought that was Pritchard‘s agent on his mobile on the M23 trying to scratch his client out some more money?

Didn’t Norwich have to cough up an extra £1m to push the deal through and to stop Spurs reporting them for contacting the player directly?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why would they have done that? Nothing to gain from their point of view - once their price had been met they wouldn't care whether he went to Norwich or Brighton - or for that matter Carlisle, Burton Albion or any other random team you could name.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I thought that was Pritchard‘s agent on his mobile on the M23 trying to scratch his client out some more money?

Didn’t Norwich have to cough up an extra £1m to push the deal through and to stop Spurs reporting them for contacting the player directly?

That was my take on it too.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've had a couple of exchanges with Paul Barber since Christmas-Day-Dembele-Gate and thought I would just share a few of his points below. I appreciate these are obvious to many, but figured it worth sharing anyway. Strap in and enjoy the ride (my words, not his).

Here you go:

- our squad evaluation and recruitment work never stops. It’s an ongoing process and a constant cycle of activity involving the 1st team, U23s, and academy.

- the recruitment team spends months working on narrowing our specific targets which are then agreed with Chris in advance of a transfer window opening.

- despite suggestions in the media and from one or two individuals on social media, the club hasn’t already signed anyone ahead of this window opening.

- unfortunately, we can’t control speculation so we can expect more of it - and more claims of inside knowledge - as the January window unfolds.

Tl;dr

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I see others have answered and your list is long but it doesnt excuse the fact that we failed to land our most important signing. No one is saying we didnt try and that things went against us. I hope as you probably do that you arent writing a similar list come February. I will stand by my point that i hope we are a long way into the process at this point.

I'm quoting PB. He writes the lists. I'm certain he'll be writing another one in February whatever happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here