Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Ashes and Fourth Test.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At 46 with deteriorating eyesight I would deal with 90mph deliveries in the same way I would have done 20 years ago, when I had the eyes of a HAWK.

As Boyc's would say... " you watched them from the other end of the pitch "?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, and we have the example of Phil Hughes to show it can be a dangerous game. dazzer I'm sure has a lot of bottle facing 90mph bowlers though.
I was defending Broad and quoting an earlier poster that said he had no bottle......

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I admit the having had written Cook off but that innings was class. That test really shows what a difference a couple of injuries/fights can make. Such a disappointment for the series that stokes couldn’t play as the Aussies are not that strong under the surface.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No worries. I have faced 90mph bowling (machine). Didn't even see the first few. It's terrifying.

As an extremely poor batsman I have always wondered why proper pace men don't deliver it rifle barrel straight to the new man.

Always took me a few sighters before I could see them let alone think of where I might play one!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No worries. I have faced 90mph bowling (machine). Didn't even see the first few. It's terrifying.

When I was 12 I was hit in the head by a ball that reared up just short of a length. The strange thing is that I have never been scared of fast bowling since. My problem is that my first movement is always back then forward which means I am often LBW. I've always been a spinners bunny, especially on slow pitches. That said, I'm not a batsman- with just two fifties in thirty six years. I had the frustrating habit of hanging around while others scored the runs. There were seasons when I took as many wickets as troubled the upper sheet of the score book.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The question is the declaration. I would go back out again as the lead is worth two sessions. Bat on and hope, by some bowling skill as the wicket offers little, to bowl them out shy of a reachable target. Either way we shouldn't lose this match- unless we do bowl them out for said reachable target and collapse.

Thoughts ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The question is the declaration. I would go back out again as the lead is worth two sessions. Bat on and hope, by some bowling skill as the wicket offers little, to bowl them out shy of a reachable target. Either way we shouldn't lose this match- unless we do bowl them out for said reachable target and collapse.

Thoughts ?

Er ? we have to bat on. we won't get much more than 20 runs anyway, declaring now will put no more pressure on them than they will have already. Get whatever we can as every run counts double.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Thoughts ?

Still enjoying the last two days. So Cook allowed to bat on to see what he can get and take it from there Mr Broad....nothing like fire in the belly.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Broad...all time great....not in my book.

His record and amount of match winning spells would suggest he is.

2nd on the all time wicket takers list, a bowling average below 30 and a lovely knack of blowing opposition away when on a roll. Top, top cricketer for England over a prolonged period of time.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Just started.

I fancy us to win this dead rubber.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No bounce in this pitch, the ball's keeping very low.

A beautiful rendition of Jerusalem by the Barmy Army a moment ago.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
491 all out.
Shite! In retrospect should have declared last night and let Broad and Anderson have half an hour at them. Guess the lure of topping 500, and Cook getting his 250 was too much to resist. Oh well, come on England - knock a few wickets over, let's get into them!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stopping Warner scoring I suppose but this is going to be hard work for England I suspect.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Much too late, England played like we do against top six teams in the first 3 tests and paid the price.
Now with nothing to lose they seem to be pulling it together.............just saying.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

At Arundel 12 years I had the pleasure of standing directly behind two objects whilst Glenn McGrath trundled up and bowled towards them at a steady 80+ mph.
One of them was a single stump that he hit over half the time causing a great ricochet. The other other object was thankfully a net.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I had the pleasure of facing 4 balls from Franklyn Stephenson in a charity game . He popped one up for me to hook for a one bounce four then asked me if I was wearing a box. The next two I put a bat on as he increased his run up. The 4th I heard as it passed me. Terrifying .... amazing ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here