Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Brighton Kop

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
A much more grounded watch is Shankly:Nature's Fire (BBC iplayer/ sky on demand). Just came across it, the man would despair of modern football. For him it was all about connecting club and community.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do these people even realise the sheer amount of disdain and contempt normal football fans hold them in ? Embarrassing. Their lack of self-awareness is genuinely astonishing.

Note to Plastic Reds: Buying the latest shirt from Sports Direct, watching all their games on Sky, reading every news article on LFC and boring the tits off everyone who knows you by droning on and on and on about them does NOT make you a "fan". Not when you've never even been within 300 miles of their ground, let alone gone to a game. "I've supported them for years" isn't a justification either. It just means you've been a bell for years and still not woken up to that fact, even when you became an adult.

And don't say "we" when talking about them. You're not part of LFC, you've got nothing whatsoever to do with them. Sad acts.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Do these people even realise the sheer amount of disdain and contempt normal football fans hold them in ? Embarrassing. Their lack of self-awareness is genuinely astonishing.

Note to Plastic Reds: Buying the latest shirt from Sports Direct, watching all their games on Sky, reading every news article on LFC and boring the tits off everyone who knows you by droning on and on and on about them does NOT make you a "fan". Not when you've never even been within 300 miles of their ground, let alone gone to a game. "I've supported them for years" isn't a justification either. It just means you've been a bell for years and still not woken up to that fact, even when you became an adult.

And don't say "we" when talking about them. You're not part of LFC, you've got nothing whatsoever to do with them. Sad acts

"But...but...we've got a CERTIFICATE!"*

*Just like the Shanghai Reds have :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:shrug:

Saying what he saw on the video TBF. Some on the video even mentioned their sexuality.

The term "lezzers", in that context, was- in my opinion, quite clearly used in a pejorative sense, as in "What would Bill Shankly think of THAT?".

Their sexuality is relevant to the theme of the video: it's not relevant in the slightest to Bill Shankly.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The term "lezzers", in that context, was- in my opinion, quite clearly used in a pejorative sense, as in "What would Bill Shankly think of THAT?".

Their sexuality is relevant to the theme of the video: it's not relevant in the slightest to Bill Shankly.

Maybe he couldn't spell lesbians :) but I know what you are saying.
He should have just said ' ladies ' but not all of us are PC.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Going to be very interesting last game of the season should the game be on tv and both clubs have something to play for.

Which set of fans will the pub prefer to alienate!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Interestingly, It was once surveyed that only 8% of the gay population of Brighton are actually from the area originally. Gay Albion fans I know are local and have have supported the team all their life. Everyone else brings their team with them.

Somewhat explodes the myth.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Going to be very interesting last game of the season should the game be on tv and both clubs have something to play for.

Which set of fans will the pub prefer to alienate!

I vowed never to go in there again after they wouldn't show our final game of the season away to Forest on the big screens as West Ham were on. The Brighton fans were forced to crowd round a few smaller screens because "more people want to watch the Premier League". Ulloa scored, the rest was history, but not been in there since.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Interestingly, It was once surveyed that only 8% of the gay population of Brighton are actually from the area originally. Gay Albion fans I know are local and have have supported the team all their life. Everyone else brings their team with them.

Somewhat explodes the myth.

Has always been a grand irony I've smiled about over the years. All the homophobic chants directed at us when, as a demographic, we wouldn't have any increased gay population amongst our support beyond the national average. Unless those moving here switch alliegance, which I'd be quite happy if they did. Their own fans/areas don't seem to want them.

So in reality they are singing those songs whilst their own gay fans sit in their new homes in Brighton put off/scared to support the club they grew up with.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Personally i think the comments are harsh. I watched less than 2 mins of the video so not sure what was said or why people they supported Liverpool but I do know people who don't support Brighton because they had no tradition of supporting e.g. were n't born here, mum or dad were not fans, parents were not local and were associated with a different club or just not interested in football, so their children picked other clubs to support and these were not always based on they were the best at the time.

thruball

May 9, 2014
Sussex
Brighton and Liverpool are linked in our family since our dad took us to watch Liverpool in the early 70's when we lived in the north-west. When we moved south in '75 he suggested we support our local team so we started going along to the Goldstone in season 75/76. We first watched the Albion vs Liverpool when they tonked us 4-1 in Nov '79 (the best ever L'pool team IMHO) and it was a magic moment for us to be in the away end at Anfield for the cup tie when Kaz LL caused momentary scenes. The pedigree of LFC is part of football folklore but we're creating our own traditions at The Amex. These are great times for us all and we're savouring every minute.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Personally i think the comments are harsh. I watched less than 2 mins of the video so not sure what was said or why people they supported Liverpool but I do know people who don't support Brighton because they had no tradition of supporting e.g. were n't born here, mum or dad were not fans, parents were not local and were associated with a different club or just not interested in football, so their children picked other clubs to support and these were not always based on they were the best at the time.

Give over. Because they 'relate' to the football club was the only reason I picked up on, other than the obvious scouser.

I'm betting that none of the above are the reasons for the vast majority. They don't need to be 'the best', just finish top 6 and compete in the CL now and then for bragging rights.

The pub isn't going to be full of Plymouth fans is it, it's always top 6 glory hunting. They will all have their convoluted and dishonest stories to bore you to death with if you are stupid enough to ask.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I don't think the comments are harsh, they have ' nicknamed ' a Brighton pub the Brighton Kop and are hanging Liverpool flags around the place.
Seems fair play for a piss take in my book. :)

Oh and did you miss the bit about them visiting ( or not visiting) Anfield?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Give over. Because they 'relate' to the football club was the only reason I picked up on, other than the obvious scouser.

I'm betting that none of the above are the reasons for the vast majority. They don't need to be 'the best', just finish top 6 and compete in the CL now and then for bragging rights.

The pub isn't going to be full of Plymouth fans is it, it's always top 6 glory hunting. They will all have their convoluted and dishonest stories to bore you to death with if you are stupid enough to ask.

As I said many people support a team which is not local for genuine reasons and they should not be condemned for that. I would rather have these people rather than CP fans who broke into the AMEX. They would definitely have the positives you like e.g. support the local team, have been to the home ground and indeed away grounds. To me the villain is the King &Queen for letting them take over a local pub.

I wonder if you would be so unhappy IF these were Brighton fans in York or Sheffield?

regards stupid , I didn't watch the whole video did you?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't think the comments are harsh, they have ' nicknamed ' a Brighton pub the Brighton Kop and are hanging Liverpool flags around the place.
Seems fair play for a piss take in my book. :)

Oh and did you miss the bit about them visiting ( or not visiting) Anfield?

I think the King and Queen is at fault and hopefully will be boycotted by Brighton fans.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think the King and Queen is at fault and hopefully will be boycotted by Brighton fans.

With all due respect to The King and Queen pub and everyone on here who drinks in there, it's a crap, outdated cavernous, soulless hole that's usually well stocked with complete throwbacks. I'm surprised they don't have still have ash trays, cigarette machines selling JPS Superkings and Hoffmeister on tap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here