Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Always Ultras - utter embarrassment to English football

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In what way did it 'create a bit of atmosphere'? All I could see was bewilderment among home and away fans and, in the case of my son, fear. For a nine-year-old boy – who has seen coverage of bombings and suicide bombers on the news and therefore thought it was something to worry about – it ruined what should have been a normal matchday experience for him. Despite me telling him that there was nothing to worry about and we would be fine, he was scared shitless and wanted to go home from about half way through the first half. Every one of those bangers that went off made him feel even worse. Eventually he calmed down, but for someone who has never seen anything like that in the five years he's been going it was a hell of a shock.

No doubt I'll be labeled a 'snowflake', 'liberal' or whatever other derogatory term is used by the 'real' men on here, but I couldn't care less. My priority last night was my football-loving son. He was made to feel unsafe in one of his favourite places in the world, all because of some strokers who thought it would be a good idea to force their into the stadium and set off bangers. Well done them!

Exactly same for my mates son by us of the same age and completely agree with your post. Seeing scared kids cos of those knobheads was the biscuit for me. Utter vermin they are.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In what way did it 'create a bit of atmosphere'? All I could see was bewilderment among home and away fans and, in the case of my son, fear. For a nine-year-old boy – who has seen coverage of bombings and suicide bombers on the news and therefore thought it was something to worry about – it ruined what should have been a normal matchday experience for him. Despite me telling him that there was nothing to worry about and we would be fine, he was scared shitless and wanted to go home from about half way through the first half. Every one of those bangers that went off made him feel even worse. Eventually he calmed down, but for someone who has never seen anything like that in the five years he's been going it was a hell of a shock.

No doubt I'll be labeled a 'snowflake', 'liberal' or whatever other derogatory term is used by the 'real' men on here, but I couldn't care less. My priority last night was my football-loving son. He was made to feel unsafe in one of his favourite places in the world, all because of some strokers who thought it would be a good idea to force their into the stadium and set off bangers. Well done them!

My 15-y-o daughter was unnerved by it as well, and she's been to a lot of games with very heated atmospheres from when she first attended an Albion game at a few weeks old.

Our kids are well aware of the numerous terrorist incidents that are sadly all too commonplace and when there's suddenly an almighty bang inside a football ground it is likely to distress some of them. I'm only surprised that some are surprised about that.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Exactly same for my mates son by us of the same age and completely agree with your post. Seeing scared kids cos of those knobheads was the biscuit for me. Utter vermin they are.

Not apologising for behaviour but why are under 10s at midweek games that finish at 10pm & they won't get home until at least 11pm & many at midnight - on a school night

Not to mention the fact of who it's against & the likelihood of trouble - some parents need to have a word with themselves & the risks they are prepared to put their kids into

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not apologising for behaviour but why are under 10s at midweek games that finish at 10pm & they won't get home until at least 11pm & many at midnight - on a school night

Not to mention the fact of who it's against & the likelihood of trouble - some parents need to have a word with themselves & the risks they are prepared to put their kids into

Took my 8 year old son, match due to finish at 9.30. Got picked up and home by 10.05, in bed by 10.10. That's not that late!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Some Palace supporters trust apologist on SSN right now. Blaming the police and everyone else but failing to admit their own 'fans' were to blame. I despair.

Probably the same apologist appeared on London Local News just now. He seemed genuinely miffed that he wasn't allowed into the game and blamed us for not letting them in.

I find it hard to sympathise. Sort your own fans out first and you'll never have a problem getting in to another ground.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Crystal Palace Football Club statement:

“We would like to apologise to all the innocent supporters who arrived at the stadium with tickets but were denied entry and to the two stewards who were injured at the ground. We wish them a full and speedy recovery. Any supporters with legitimate, unscanned match tickets should email either a picture of the ticket, or the unique seven-digit ID number on the ticket, to boxoffice@cpfc.co.uk, together with their personal details, and arrangements will be made for a refund”.
This takes us back to PLB and the question about whether Bournemouth could legally share our info. Now Palace will need our data to check if a ticket was used.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In what way did it 'create a bit of atmosphere'? !

Totally agree. It ruined the atmosphere. Seemed to subdue the rest of their fans - so a lot less back and forth singing than you would expect which is edgy, but 'pantomime' edgy, rather than nasty like those twunts.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Totally agree. It ruined the atmosphere. Seemed to subdue the rest of their fans - so a lot less back and forth singing than you would expect which is edgy, but 'pantomime' edgy, rather than nasty like those twunts.

Yeah, worst second half atmosphere for the Palace derby for a long, long time.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
DPzzbCPXcAEiZ.jpg

(stolen off twitter, thanks whoever made it)

Last edited:

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
My 15-y-o daughter was unnerved by it as well, and she's been to a lot of games with very heated atmospheres from when she first attended an Albion game at a few weeks old.

Our kids are well aware of the numerous terrorist incidents that are sadly all too commonplace and when there's suddenly an almighty bang inside a football ground it is likely to distress some of them. I'm only surprised that some are surprised about that.

Thank you for finding the right tone - the perfect counter balance to Paul Barber's "Crystal Palace fans letting off some small flares and fireworks". If this stuff had happened at another Ariane Grande style concert there would be a national outcry - why should it be acceptable from brainless Crystal Palace fans at a football match ? I too am surprised that some are apparently indifferent to this.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Thank you for finding the right tone - the perfect counter balance to Paul Barber's "Crystal Palace fans letting off some small flares and fireworks". If this stuff had happened at another Ariane Grande style concert there would be a national outcry - why should it be acceptable from brainless Crystal Palace fans at a football match ? I too am surprised that some are apparently indifferent to this.

If it had happened at a pop concert there would be a stampede and god knows how many hurt, look at Oxford St on Friday for what happens now in these situations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here