Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Actors you can't stand

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is that from the UK v North American comedy chasm?

Even as a kid I hated the RW Nana Nanu silliness. Always thought Bill Cosby’s stuff was boring too.

I prefer their ironic, parodic and darker comedy.

I just cannot stand that manic, stupid voices, bouncing from one subject to another and in interviews literally bouncing around. It’d be like having Emu on the couch. I’d just want to slap him round the face and tell him to stop being so bloody silly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My friends in Canada talk about it all the time too. I've seen a couple of clips of "classic" sketches which have usually been quite funny. However, on the few occassions I've watched an episode I haven't found it remotely funny. It's usually a load of "in" jokes, or shouty humour.
I'm still stuck in a Norm McDonald rabbit hole, since his passing.

I guess I only see the classic sketches too, but Norm as Burt Reynolds are very good indeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was brilliant. Just brilliant.

I didn't really know much of him - or I guess to phrase that properly would be 'I didn't know I knew of him'.
I'd watched his Netflix stand up, as just another Netflix stand up (I watch a fair few)
I'd seen some of his SNL stuff but never really put 2 and 2 together.

I must have watched the CarrotTop joke a 100 times since he died.

I think I'll make that 101 before retiring, for the evening.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I didn't really know much of him - or I guess to phrase that properly would be 'I didn't know I knew of him'.
I'd watched his Netflix stand up, as just another Netflix stand up (I watch a fair few)
I'd seen some of his SNL stuff but never really put 2 and 2 together.

I must have watched the CarrotTop joke a 100 times since he died.

I think I'll make that 101 before retiring, for the evening.

His talk/tv show was great. The one that isn’t on Netflix. It’s pretty close to the bone, for example a running joke making out his Jewish co-host is a holocaust denier. I find that sort of thing very funny. Genuinely has me in stitches.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
It's obviously very personal and I can agree with your list apart from these two.
Robin Williams proved his chops in Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo and World's Greatest Dad imo (edit - and is brilliant in Mrs Doubtfire of course).
And Hugh Grant matured and showed his in Paddington (yes, indeed) , The Gentleman and a Very English Scandal imo.

Agree. Hugh Grant was particularly good I thought in A Very English Scandal and surprised a lot of people as to how well he could act.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's almost like once he became a 'national treasure' he was beyond criticism. He was great as Del Boy, but Granville was just a sad loser and Jack Frost had no real credibility.

Again, Miriam Margoyles, another national treasure, is great on chat shows and travel programmes but in no way is she a great actress

For me MM is too much of a ‘construct.’ She knows the effect she can have with her ‘oh so shocking’ and doubtlessly embellished chat show tales and plays on it with big-eyed amazement while smugly internally lapping up the fawning that comes her way.

Similarly, Greg Davies on Graham Norton telling his ‘true’ teacher ‘Jackson Pollock’ story while everyone rolls around laughing, a story that is almost certainly 50% factual at best. I like both Davies and Margoyles but can’t deal with all that game play.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Is that from the UK v North American comedy chasm?

Even as a kid I hated the RW Nana Nanu silliness. Always thought Bill Cosby’s stuff was boring too.

I prefer their ironic, parodic and darker comedy.

Cosby certainly did some dark stuff, for which he was locked up and released on a technicality. Did he do any dark comedy? I only remember the dire Cosby show.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Anyone who mumbles.
Also, I just don’t get Michael Caine or David Jason( except as Del Boy and Pop Larkin).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Adam Driver.

Classic case of Emperor’s new clothes. Awful.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Kevin Spacey

Excellent actor in his earlier days. Can’t look at any of his work now without knowing what he was up to. Heard rumours before he was shamed, too.

What makes anyone think they could get away with this behaviour? His life’s work is ruined. More to the point, he’s now a friend to absolutely no-one and a role model to even fewer. Pretty reprehensible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Steven Seagal
Sylvester Stallone

I have a few more but they may be hurt if they Google it and read it so I’d rather they pursued a noble career.

Is there a thread for best?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Steven Seagal
Sylvester Stallone

I have a few more but they may be hurt if they Google it and read it so I’d rather they pursued a noble career.

Is there a thread for best?

Stallone - obviously limited, but I find him likeable in the first Rocky movies, Rambo and another early film set in Italian NYC …. Paradise Alley.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Everyone in Peaky Blinders. Apart from Series one, with the lovely Annabelle Wallis and Sam Neil. It was such a good series, followed by four series of music video style bollocks. To be fair, Tom Hardy was quite good from what I saw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here