Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] First TORY minister named as .......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's a 'girls' team. No-one in the team is from Longhill, Varndean or BACA (all Brighton high schools) therefore it's a reasonable assumption that it's a team of high school girls. Gwylan's post confirmed this. Sorry, but are you being deliberately obtuse here? I can understand if you didn't get the references but I certainly did and I'm sure others did too.

Would you concede that making a cheeky remark about a female rugby team and the systematic abuse and subsequent cover up by MP's are really not comparable? Which was what your original point seemed to address.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Would you concede that making a cheeky remark about a female rugby team and the systematic abuse and subsequent cover up by MP's are really not comparable? Which was what your original point seemed to address.

And here I was hoping that when you said you would leave it that you might actually leave it. Nah, I'm gonna stick you on ignore. Life's too short.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And here I was hoping that when you said you would leave it that you might actually leave it. Nah, I'm gonna stick you on ignore. Life's too short.

Didn't think you'd like to answer that question! Please do put me on ignore, I shan't miss the trolling of my posts or the quoting of year old posts.

:flounce::flounce::flounce:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Quick apology? You really are a wind-up merchant. Both Gwylan and I seem to be on the same page here and HT was replying to Gwylan's post and since then you've seen what Gwylan thinks of this and you've completely disregarded it because it doesn't fit with your narrative so maybe, just maybe...it's you that's not quite grasped the situation. Or you have and you'd rather carry on trying to pick a fight with me.

Quite right. Buzzer and I may be on different sides politically but we're at one here.

We spent a good deal of time at the meeting last night talking about safeguarding and ensuring our girls can thrive in the right environment, given that nearly all the coaches and most of the club's members are male. We're very, very conscious of the vulnerability of young women in that situation (and, to be fair, so is the club) - and that's where it does tie back to the theme of this thread.

As it happens, my daughter does play for the team but that's not the point, I'm as protective of all members of that team as I would be of her. Remarks like that are the sort of thing that puts girls off sport.

I appreciate that HT didn't make the remark because he's a paedo but it's precisely the sort of flippant remark that politicians are finding themselves in hot water for.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Guido Fawkes latest on the Labour Party Abuse Cover-up:

Worth reminding everyone that sexual harassment is not a party political issue – it happens in all parties at Westminster with no exception. Labour has so far succeeded in preventing the names of any of its alleged sex pests from coming out.

This is the astonishingly dark litany of abuse claims against Labour MPs and officials made over the last few days:

- A senior Labour official is accused of telling young Labour activist and former NEC member Bex Bailey not to report a rape because it could “damage” her career
- John Mann says he is aware of a second Labour rape allegation that has yet to come out
- A senior Labour MP has been reported to the Leader’s Office for extremely serious abuse of a woman – Labour won’t reveal his name
- A second senior Labour MP is being privately accused of sexual assault of a woman – they won’t reveal his name either
- A third senior Labour MP is accused of “wandering hands” and being over-friendly at student discos
- The New Statesman reports other “allegations of sexual misconduct that the party advised women to drop”
- Politico reports another Labour MP was accused of “serious sexual harassment” by a staffer but “the party did nothing”. Staff says sexual abuse is “endemic” within the ranks and that the complaints procedure “is not fit for purpose”.
- A senior member of Labour’s NEC has been accused of sexually harassing women
- Labour MP Chi Onwurah told the Commons she had raised complaints about MPs’ behaviour to young staff in parliament’s bars

As yet no Labour MPs’ names have come out, and many of these allegations are considerably more serious than hands on knees and dodgy text messages. At the moment the media focus is off Labour…

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a 'girls' team. No-one in the team is from Longhill, Varndean or BACA (all Brighton high schools) therefore it's a reasonable assumption that it's a team of high school girls. Gwylan's post confirmed this. Sorry, but are you being deliberately obtuse here? I can understand if you didn't get the references but I certainly did and I'm sure others did too.

I have heard the term girls used as a reference for adult teams before, especially in posh sports. And all the comments about education and schools were past tense: educated and “from Longhill”. I’m from Tideway....and I’m an adult. I took this to mean something different to what you did. I can’t be bothered to get into one of your point scoring fights so I’ll quit here.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I don't know why rugby is considered an upper class sport in England. Teams like Wigan Warriors and Leeds Rhinos have plenty of working class support.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can we just all agree that rugby is a load of crap though?

All I really know about rugby is from my university days....the members of the rugby team at my uni, and those from visiting teams who out-stayed their welcome on Wednesdays, were complete and utter tossers.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I don't know why rugby is considered an upper class sport in England. Teams like Wigan Warriors and Leeds Rhinos have plenty of working class support.

Isn't it the case that union is the original posh, hoity-toity version of the game favoured by the middle classes of the home counties. Then rugby league is preferred by the whippet-racing folk in the northern heartlands?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Guido Fawkes latest on the Labour Party Abuse Cover-up:

Worth reminding everyone that sexual harassment is not a party political issue – it happens in all parties at Westminster with no exception. Labour has so far succeeded in preventing the names of any of its alleged sex pests from coming out.

This is the astonishingly dark litany of abuse claims against Labour MPs and officials made over the last few days:

- A senior Labour official is accused of telling young Labour activist and former NEC member Bex Bailey not to report a rape because it could “damage” her career
- John Mann says he is aware of a second Labour rape allegation that has yet to come out
- A senior Labour MP has been reported to the Leader’s Office for extremely serious abuse of a woman – Labour won’t reveal his name
- A second senior Labour MP is being privately accused of sexual assault of a woman – they won’t reveal his name either
- A third senior Labour MP is accused of “wandering hands” and being over-friendly at student discos
- The New Statesman reports other “allegations of sexual misconduct that the party advised women to drop”
- Politico reports another Labour MP was accused of “serious sexual harassment” by a staffer but “the party did nothing”. Staff says sexual abuse is “endemic” within the ranks and that the complaints procedure “is not fit for purpose”.
- A senior member of Labour’s NEC has been accused of sexually harassing women
- Labour MP Chi Onwurah told the Commons she had raised complaints about MPs’ behaviour to young staff in parliament’s bars

As yet no Labour MPs’ names have come out, and many of these allegations are considerably more serious than hands on knees and dodgy text messages. At the moment the media focus is off Labour…

The words Guido and Fawkes are enough for any normal person to immediately stop reading let alone believe the rubbish he writes

D

Deleted member 22389

Labour party... turning a blind eye... cocking a deaf ear... par for the course.

Everything will be OK under Labour, they did such a great job last time, just make sure you stockpile some fuel. God job we had enough fuel to get to the hospital with my grandma, but then we had a 9 hour wait in A&E.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
The words Guido and Fawkes are enough for any normal person to immediately stop reading let alone believe the rubbish he writes

No,what you mean is any Labour supporting head burying,let's dismiss it and it will go away. What Guido Fawkes does is highlight what a bunch of lying hpocrites that bunch of shysters really are.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Clearly something is wrong because people are living in poverty, people are homeless, families are living in hostels. But like you say, if the only problem is that they are feckless then surely we shouldn't include them in the stats, we could just tell them it's their fault and well, problem solved surely?

I had a look at the benefits calculator thing. If you think I'm going through that 12 page form for a theoretical family, just to satisfy your need for a row, you can think again. You do it and get back to me.

I think you could "benefit" from doing some research into the reasons people end up in poverty. Start with things like mental health, abuse, care, inability to read, no access to benefits they may be entitled to, ill health, death of family members, addiction and yes...government created poverty through austerity and disparity of wealth.

The point being you seem to have identified poverty where non exists, having mental health issues or being in an abusive environment are extremely challenging and requires support but it doesn't necessarily mean they are in poverty whilst not being rich doesn't make you poor.

For the record that family of mum and dad and their five children neither working are currently living in a four bedroom (that's their entitlement) council/other house in Brighton paid by Housing Benefit with their Council Tax also covered, ending up with £420.00 after that, that is in excess of £700+ weekly benefits, plus free school meals for their children etc. that's not poverty.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This is bit off the topic of this thread but we were having this discussion at our rugby club last night. We have a girls team that's dominated by private school educated girls: we have no girls at all from BACA, Longhill or Varndean.

I do wonder whether rugby's image is putting some of them off -and this thread seems to suggest that there's still an undercurrent that rugby is for the posh people. It certainly isn't in Wales, where my family's from, and it certainly isn't in the west country but the image of rugby is of the Harlequins/waxed jacket brigade. It's a rather worrying one for left-leaning people like me who love the game and who wants to make it thrive.

You're actually one of the best posters on NSC. Without directly going off on a political or class tangent, I do appreciate/recall from your posts (if correctly) you have Welsh heritage and I know you love cricket as I do and have great knowledge of the game which I've tapped into in the past. I'll give you another anecdotal cricket example:

Additionally to Cardiff in 2013 for Rugby my last visit to Lord's was in 2013 - the 2nd day of The Ashes Test. Again, through family Sussex cricketing friends this time, who are MCC playing members, we got tickets in The Allen Stand. Unreserved seating despite a ticket, a dress code, and despite being members our friends don't go in the pavilion because of the people in there - and I understand why. Anyway before play, 2 rows in front, was a ex-public school type in red shorts with an eccentric hat on having a lengthy conversation with the guy in front of me about all sorts, eventually talking about the upcoming back-to-back Ashes series in Australia. He was going to all the the Tests Down Under with his wife but wasn't going to Brisbane in 2013, because apparently Brisbane is a 'ghastly place, full of ghastly people'.

Now I thought I was watching England play Australia that day at Lord's. When we lost 0-5 Down Under that Winter I must admit I thought - good - because that person in red shorts, who couldn't go to Brisbane, isn't from the same planet as me, let alone the same country. There are so many elements of cricket and Rugby Union in this country I just cannot relate to. I look at the kids coming back from India having won the U-17 World Cup for England last week - they're just normal boys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here