Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FIFA considers changes to nationality rules

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What happens if you're born on British territory in another country, ie an embassy or in the forces?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
What happens if you're born on British territory in another country, ie an embassy or in the forces?
Jobs abroad have already been covered in by BG.
If I wanted my offspring to be English I wouldnt leave the country when the birth is due, A little forward planning as a birth doesnt just happen.
Children born within the embassy grounds would probably be exempt although I expect very few actually are. I myself was born in Washington DC whilst my father was working at the embassy there. I was born in a local hospital rather then the embassy itself so I suspect that, when the BG Doctrine is adopted by FIFA, I will have to live with the regret of not having played for USA rather than not having played for Scotland.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jobs abroad have already been covered in by BG.

Children born within the embassy grounds would probably be exempt although I expect very few actually are. I myself was born in Washington DC whilst my father was working at the embassy there. I was born in a local hospital rather then the embassy itself so I suspect that, when the BG Doctrine is adopted by FIFA, I will have to live with the regret of not having played for USA rather than not having played for Scotland.

Military hospitals are within the British territory rules. I have a friend who was born in Egypt with parents in the RAF, and a friend who was with her husband in Mauritius (RN) when their daughter was born.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What about being conceived on a pedalo in international waters? I think [MENTION=338]smudge[/MENTION] should give us his expert opinion on this

Not that he is a serial bonker on a pedalo, although he may be, but he is a cruise line officer. Just to be clear :rolleyes:

We had a baby born to one of our crew on Norwegian Dream in 2005, we were in Alaskan waters. Apparently she didn't realize she was pregnant, & even if she did, she hid it well.
She, & the Father, presumed the baby would automatically get US residency rights as were in US waters.
Not so, the ship was registered in the Bahamas, so was entitled to a Bahamian passport.
So that was a Filipina Mother, Nicaraguan Father, born in US waters under the flag of the Bahamas. The kid will have nightmares explaining that all through her life!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
FIFA are going to have to do something to help Qatar out. Those bungs aren't free you know.

I am already guessing 5 or 6 Brazilians will become Qatari internationals by 2022.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here