Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much BUSINESS will we do on transfer deadline day?

How many bits of BUSINESS will we do on transfer deadline day?

• None - we've done our business early. There's nothing to see here

Votes: 23 12.9%

Votes: 16 9.0%

Votes: 40 22.5%

Votes: 35 19.7%

Votes: 26 14.6%

Votes: 17 9.6%

Votes: 8 4.5%

Votes: 5 2.8%

Votes: 2 1.1%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 10 or more

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I reckon 4 too.
Although I'm still unsure of why Goldson is going out on loan. Heart op aside, he had a full pre-season and is fit, so is he not considered ready, or not good enough?
Goldson needs to be garanteed playing every week as he missed so much of last season.

Would we alternate Dunk and Duffy alongside him ?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Hemed going anywhere is a funny one, isn't it? Even putting keeping him aside in order to be "better safe than sorry", he's now away on international duty.

Now whilst communications can clearly take place between a suitor, Hemed's agent and Hemed himself, he's not going to be able to undertake a medical anywhere now is he?

Oxlade Chamberlain is doing his at St George’s Park. I assume Hemed could do his wherever Israel are training.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hemed going anywhere is a funny one, isn't it? Even putting keeping him aside in order to be "better safe than sorry", he's now away on international duty.

Now whilst communications can clearly take place between a suitor, Hemed's agent and Hemed himself, he's not going to be able to undertake a medical anywhere now is he?

It can take place on international duty. Man City ready to do that with Alexis in South America. I suppose also a contract can be agreed, subject to medical asap?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would you imagine that Naylor/Owen know the names coming in, but to retain goodwill with the club, don't blab until agreed?

The club will let them know what they are happy with them knowing. Some will come with a "happy for this to be leaked out", and some with "not for publication".

I think the club are far more guarded about this stuff than ever before, due in part to Joe Gomez's Lancing visit breaking on NSC. By all accounts anyone who was at work at Lancing that day came under quite some scrutiny.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It can take place on international duty. Man City ready to do that with Alexis in South America. I suppose also a contract can be agreed, subject to medical asap?

I guess so, but player registration documents have to be delivered to the FA(s) concerned in line with the deadlines don't they? Wouldn't that mean a player was technically transferred, even if the clubs concerned would then reverse it at the next transfer window should the medical (or other technicality) trip the deal up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The club will let them know what they are happy with them knowing. Some will come with a "happy for this to be leaked out", and some with "not for publication".

I think the club are far more guarded about this stuff than ever before, due in part to Joe Gomez's Lancing visit breaking on NSC. By all accounts anyone who was at work at Lancing that day came under quite some scrutiny.

Ta for that insight. Explains why I've learnt so little from the Argus this summer. Plus they don't go down the Talkshite/tabloids route of passing on out and out fibs started by all and sundry.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would you imagine that Naylor/Owen know the names coming in, but to retain goodwill with the club, don't blab until agreed?

I'll add that the club send out a media release ahead of a new signing announcement. Typically now, they only arrive in my Inbox in the 10 minutes or so ahead of the embargo. Often the Argus article is a copy and paste or very lightly revised version of the club release that has been emailed. This suggests to me that Andy Naylor knew no more about the signing than anyone else until he received the email.

(Often I don't see the email until after the club announcement.)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I guess so, but player registration documents have to be delivered to the FA(s) concerned in line with the deadlines don't they? Wouldn't that mean a player was technically transferred, even if the clubs concerned would then reverse it at the next transfer window should the medical (or other technicality) trip the deal up.

Until very recently, it was the famous fax machine, which might still be the case. Didn't Spuds or QPR screw it up once?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I'm going for 4 in and 4 out.

Think a goalkeeper will be on back burner till January
Experienced flexible defender with Connor to Ipswich
Creative midfielder from championship
Niasse - loan to buy
15-20 million pound striker from the continent
Skalak and Towell to Championship Club
Hemed to Leeds or Reading

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'll add that the club send out a media release ahead of a new signing announcement. Typically now, they only arrive in my Inbox in the 10 minutes or so ahead of the embargo. Often the Argus article is a copy and paste or very lightly revised version of the club release that has been emailed. This suggests to me that Andy Naylor knew no more about the signing than anyone else until he received the email.

(Often I don't see the email until after the club announcement.)

Hopefully your email inbox sees plenty of Albion activity tomorrow. If so, NSC should have great numbers viewing (and doing very little work!). :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Strange how the Argus still have no names or news. Papers such as the Liverpool Echo or MEN have had wall to wall coverage for their clubs all summer, all of which was later substantiated.

Really. They've filed 5 Albion stories today. A pretty average day. They've written updates in the last 48 hours or so with the latest on Debuchy, Hemed, Goldson, Zohore, and Niasse. Naylor discounted Shane Long yesterday, Jovetic last week as part of a long long list of players we've been linked with , all of which turned out to be nothing, and all have been substantiated. He's inexplicably condemned on here but he's had a good window. Yes. They don't file until they've stood a story up but so what. And Yes they obviously share info the club share with them.
He's effectively trusted now , even by many of the sceptical on here, and rightfully so. (not all of em of course !!) .
After all NSC users are rightfully a picky bunch when it comes to news about their club. Some are still upset about a single tweet by Naylor about CMS 6 years ago and a poor turn of phrase he made on Deadline Day on 2012.

Obviously NSC , the foreign press and the local press has more , and rumours circulate everywhere including on here , some of which are even true, but the Argus has no names or news ? Blimey.

[tweet]902982015171121152[/tweet]

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Trust me guys, we have a big name striker coming in. Can't say to much atm.
You will be excited though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really. They've filed 5 Albion stories today. A pretty average day. They've written updates in the last 48 hours or so with the latest on Debuchy, Hemed, Goldson, Zohore, and Niasse. Naylor discounted Shane Long yesterday, Jovetic last week as part of a long long list of players we've been linked with , all of which turned out to be nothing, and all have been substantiated. He's inexplicably condemned on here but he's had a good window. Yes. They don't file until they've stood a story up but so what.
He's effectively trusted now , even by many of the sceptical on here, and rightfully so. (not all of em of course !!) .
After all NSC users are rightfully a picky bunch when it comes to news about their club. Some are still upset about a single tweet by Naylor about CMS 6 years ago and a poor turn of phrase he made on Deadline Day on 2012.

Obviously NSC , the foreign press and the local press has more , and rumours circulate everywhere including on here , some of which are even true, but the Argus has no names or news ? Blimey.

[tweet]902982015171121152[/tweet]

I want to make it clear that I'm not criticising Andy nor anyone else at all, but it strikes me that the newsflow is generally something like this...

1. Something breaks on Twitter or from an overseas media organisation.
2. Albion fans pick up on it. It may or may not be posted on here.
3. <Something>
4. Andy Naylor confirms link as player being 'monitored' or rubbishes the news.

Now, I'm pretty sure I know what step 3 is. As you say, Andy is trusted by the club, at least in situations that suit the club.

What does genuinely seem to be missing, and it's what I take his critics as highlighting, is Andy seems to be rarely, if ever, in position 1 of the newsflow. When did he last genuinely reveal a name that no one knew about before? He may do it often - I don't spend much time on twitter and even less on the horrendous Argus site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here