Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I wonder how Gus Poyet is feeling today ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
First job as a manager though, eh? Different thing entirely.

He learned enough to take us from the L1 relegation zone to within a pubes width of the Premier League though. Right man at the right time, he did a brilliant job for BHA. Rewriting history because of the acrimonious ending is a bit churlish IMO.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Gus was the right man at the right time and we played some beautiful football under him. I wish him no ill and i'm sure, now he's a bit older and wiser, that on reflection he would perhaps have done things differently at the end.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Gus was the right man at the right time and we played some beautiful football under him. I wish him no ill and i'm sure, now he's a bit older and wiser, that on reflection he would perhaps have done things differently at the end.

Amen x 2.

Blimey my keyboard has been on fire today. At this rate l'll soon have as many posts as BG!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Ok, Gus did some good for the club, promotion from league 1, turned us into a championship play off side and of course the St. Valentines day massacre.

He also brought us some very good players, such as Vicente, Bridge, Orlandi, Spanish Dave to name just a few.

However he still whored himself to the media, he fluttered his eyes at every "bigger" club that a job became available, and on a night which became famous for poo-gate amongst other things he royally shat on the very people who had given him his chance as a manager.

Brighton were better for Poyet than he ever was for us, Mr Bloom gave Poyet everything he wanted, but it was never enough, the afore mentioned players all came because Bloom backed his manager in a way that no Brighton manager had ever been backed, perhaps with the exception of Alan Mullery, only perhaps though.

He was given a wonderful stadium for his team to play their football, even allowing him to have an input into the design of the changing rooms, he had the chance to become a legend at this football club, chances are he would still have got the backing the following season unlike Garcia because Bloom backed Poyet to get us where we wanted to be. But Poyet wanted to talk to other clubs, even in the middle of a promotion push he wanted and was allowed to go and talk to Reading.

Then to come out with the comments after the Palace play off defeat, sorry that is dispicable, crass, and not worthy of the title manager of Brighton and Hove Albion football club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did a good job for a time, went sour when he acted all Billy Bignuts which was a shame. Not fit to lace Chris's boots all things considered though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stuck in Shanghai totally ignored by the media, his mate Tanno slumped by his side with his hands in his anorak pockets reading reports of the Albion spending over £20 million on TWO players in a week and a MASSIVE spending spree for the manager to get the squad PL ready.

I wonder if he feels any regrets with his stupid hitting the ceiling stuff ? Obvious from the spending that has been done since he went that it was a gradual process which in the end was successful than trying to do a Sheffield Wednesday etc and do it all in a season and then fail FFP.

Arrogant.

He'll be unmoved and disinterested.

Poyet loves himself and has total conviction in anything he ever spouted from his politicking gob.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We lost Bridcutt and Buckley because Gus poached them for Sunderland!

Exactly.

Their departures weren't on the horizon when Poyet wanted an interview at Reading or threw his toys of the prat after Wurzel out played him.

Their transfers we as a result of no scruples Poyet, with inside knowledge, raiding the club he'd just left.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Plus it only took 10 sideways passes to reach the halfway line under Oscar García as opposed to the 20 it took under Poyet.

It was strange though.

The 18 months of football under Poyet at Withdean were immense. Yes, a lot of possession, but interspersed with lightning attacking and counter attacking with the likes of Bennett, Calderon, Barnes, Noone and Murray ripping everyone apart. I for one have great memories of 2009/10 and 2010/11.

The Amex version under Poyet and Garcia was slow and predictable for opponents to defend against, who'd then pick us off with ease on the counter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did my head in with his touting of himself at every opportunity and his total lack of respect for the fans and Bloom after the playoff semi final was a massive negative in my book. He did well for us until he believed he was owed something better. He set us back two years with his post Palace shenanigans imo.

Oh and he wasted a massive amount of TB's money in signing CMS whilst binning Murray. ****.

I imagine he cares as much about us as I do about him.

Last edited:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Tevez is on £41 mill a year playing for gus so how much do u think him tarrico and oatway are on - that wage is one of the biggest in the world for a footballer, they won't be on anything like that but I bet it's 5 x what they would be getting here. So financially at least I'm sure he doesn't give a shit - as for him as a manager - for 85-90% of his tenure he was brilliant and despite being a little too defensive the football we played sometimes was a joy to watch - some great times and he was the catalyst to get us back at that time, he is up his own arse and isn't the new messiah football manager at all but he's better than some - glad we have Chris instead now though, different gravy but gus was of a certain time and for us and him that's now passed. No regrets.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Tevez is now 33, and not the hot property he was when we knew him in England.

But would still walk in to this Brighton team would he not?

The fascination between the Brighton fans and Poyet is a strange one. He did a good job for you, parted on bad terms years ago so not sure why people cannot move on

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stuck in Shanghai totally ignored by the media, his mate Tanno slumped by his side with his hands in his anorak pockets reading reports of the Albion spending over £20 million on TWO players in a week and a MASSIVE spending spree for the manager to get the squad PL ready.

I wonder if he feels any regrets with his stupid hitting the ceiling stuff ? Obvious from the spending that has been done since he went that it was a gradual process which in the end was successful than trying to do a Sheffield Wednesday etc and do it all in a season and then fail FFP.
It all went wrong for him here once he was tempted by the Reading job. The beginning of his downfall.

Reading, FFS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But would still walk in to this Brighton team would he not?

The fascination between the Brighton fans and Poyet is a strange one. He did a good job for you, parted on bad terms years ago so not sure why people cannot move on

You support a club that parts with players and managers on bad terms pretty well all the time, we don't which is why the way Poyet behaved still irks some of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here