Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friendly v Norwich

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes...and played some good stuff in both league matches against us despite losing them..really thought they would do it in the play offs

Yes, I was cheering for them, good team last season, have a feeling they may not be able to repeat it this year, same with Reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Peeps were doing the same last season.

Exactly, which is why I pointed out the losses in pre season last year. One poster in particular, said if we didn't spend money last summer, we wouldn't even make the top 6. Yes, we'd all like quality players in, but don't forget the quality that we've already got. When it comes down to League games, the players will give their all, which they don't in friendlies.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Do you think that could be why CH has said that recruitment will still go on after the first game right up until 1st Spetember.

Ok. But wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have all our ducks in a row before the new season starts? If we don't have a full strength squad until 1 Sept we're arguably making life more difficult for ourselves in the three games in August. This is hardly a good basis to start the new season.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Ok. But wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have all our ducks in a row before the new season starts? If we don't have a full strength squad until 1 Sept we're arguably making life more difficult for ourselves in the three games in August. This is hardly a good basis to start the new season.

Whilst I would also prefer us to have done more transfer business at this stage the better players will not become available until the end of the transfer window. There would be no point in trying to buy all our players before the season starts as 1) We will get ripped off and 2) The quality of players we can sign won't be as high.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
For those who watched the game, opinions on new players Gross, Ryan, Brown & Suttner?

Gross: good
Ryan: no action
Brown: average, not enough action
Suttner: poor at crossing, beaten by Wildschut

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

The problem in the transfer Market at the moment is two-fold. Not only have Transfer fees risen by about 30% from last year which makes targets very costly.

That then has a knock on affect that other clubs are having the same problem so they in turn are just refusing to sell what they currently have because they can't afford to venture into the transfer market

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Whilst I would also prefer us to have done more transfer business at this stage the better players will not become available until the end of the transfer window. There would be no point in trying to buy all our players before the season starts as 1) We will get ripped off and 2) The quality of players we can sign won't be as high.

Maybe. But I'd wager that most of the good quality players will be signed up before the new campaign starts. As for us being ripped off, I don't think there's much chance of that at the moment as we're not spending anything.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

The best player we have signed thus far, and the real highlight of pre-season is Gross, who was signed(agreed) in June. I also find it hard to agree with your other point, surely they'll be a higher chance of us getting ripped off the later we leave it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Maybe. But I'd wager that most of the good quality players will be signed up before the new campaign starts. .

Completely wrong. Many very good players are trapped in what amounts to a chain (like in house purchases). Until the window approaches its conclusion, some of the best players simply won't be released by their clubs. When the top of the chain moves, everything else cascades down from that. If you've shot your budget already, you'll miss out on these. But of course, you run the risk of not having players for the first few games and also missing out altogether.

That's the gamble/risk!!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I agree completely , never understand why you don't have the players you want before the season starts ,

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
The best player we have signed thus far, and the real highlight of pre-season is Gross, who was signed(agreed) in June. I also find it hard to agree with your other point, surely they'll be a higher chance of us getting ripped off the later we leave it.

We will get ripped off in that we will be signing a poorer quality player for the same or higher price as better players that will come available later. Towards the end of the window some clubs will be resigned to losing their prized assets if a club in a higher division is interested and will be forced to sign replacements. If the player's head is turned most clubs will generally let them go. Obviously this goes against what TB has done with the likes of Stephens but some don't realize how lucky we are with TB at the helm.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Completely wrong. Many very good players are trapped in what amounts to a chain (like in house purchases). Until the window approaches its conclusion, some of the best players simply won't be released by their clubs. When the top of the chain moves, everything else cascades down from that. If you've shot your budget already, you'll miss out on these. But of course, you run the risk of not having players for the first few games and also missing out altogether.

That's the gamble/risk!!

The longer you wait in the transfer window the more likely you have panic buys

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

That's the gamble/risk!!

Spot on. This is the 'chain' where I'm hoping we'll sign an elusive speedy striker. Lets hope we have the targets lined up!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The longer you wait in the transfer window the more likely you have panic buys

At least we'll save a few weeks wages by delaying our main signings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That's the gamble/risk!!

It hasn't stopped other clubs buying many new faces this window.

It's pure speculation that TB is playing poker to make our key signings on or around 1st September. For a newly promoted club that would be madness. When Levy does that at Spuds he already has a large squad of PL quality players and even he has made some collossal blunders by leaving it that late .... Sissoko being the latest £30m down the drain.

Lastly, there's 9 vital points to play for in games coming up. It would be careless to say the least to play them whilst uncompetitive.

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
You need the signings in as early as possible that get the team playing together otherwise what is the point on going to Austria, playing pre season friendlies. With our final month of the season we can't give up on the first month

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
It hasn't stopped other clubs buying many new faces this window.

It's pure speculation that TB is playing poker to make our key signings on or around 1st September. For a newly promoted club that would be madness. When Levy does that at Spuds he already has a large squad of PL quality players and even he has made some collossal blunders by leaving it that late .... Sissoko being the latest £30m down the drain.

Lastly, there's 9 vital points to play for in games coming up. It would be careless to say the least to play them whilst uncompetitive.

Eh? Look at Newcastle, in a similar position to us having just got promoted. Obviously they are a bigger club and have a larger stadium but they have made a similar number of additions to us and will have a far bigger transfer budget I'd imagine. Huddersfield have gone for the different approach of bringing loads of new players in early, it could work or most of them could turn out to be not Premier League quality and they will have loads of average players on bumper wages.

My point is, is that Newcastle are also probably trying to go down the route of seeking out high quality players. It isn't as simple as splashing the cash as some seem to think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here