Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our complete list of transfer targets

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree that the squad as it stands would get relegated. But it simply doesn't matter - the squad at the end of August is what matters until January. I look at the season in a couple of stages in line with the transfer windows and you only really know where you stand at the end of them. I'm confident we'll be competitive when it matters, which isn't for another month yet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have no idea though do we?

The bulk of Albion's players have never really had much of a chance to prove themselves in the Premiership so we simply have no clue whether they will perform. The fact that the team was pretty tight last season and they are used to each other's games is very important in my view. It could very well be the likes of Stephens, Knockaert, Dunk, Baldock etc could be top quality but we haven't found out yet.

Rather than buying average Premiership players who could disrupt the team, I'd rather we kept the core of last years side together and add to the overall strength when it makes playing and economic sense.

It's the depth of the squad we need to address more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good points, but I disagree that it's largely the depth of the squad that needs addressing.

Better quality is needed to bring in better strikers to keep us up, as I can't see Murray, Hemed and Baldock grabbing enough goals against PL defences to keep us up. Full backs and wide midfielders too, as other than Knockaert, which wingers will have the regularly beating of their PL opponents?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The slow pace of our signings simply means the club are doing it properly, trying to get the best they can, not making panic buys.

It could, of course, also mean that we a being turned down by everyone we approach :lolol:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
My only concern is that I fear we can't wait until the end of the transfer window as we have done in seasons gone. We have three games in August, two of those are away games that I fancy us to sneak at least couple of points in so we need to be up to strength before the season starts.

Not saying we won't do that but if we do wait until the last minute we could have a squad that isn't properly gelled and fully firing until the end of September and our September is VERY easy by Premier League standards.

Nah I don't think you have a clue pal, given the stuff being spouted on here to the 'bed wetters' and on Twitter I am pretty sure those first three games don't count to the points total so CHILL.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It could, of course, also mean that we a being turned down by everyone we approach [emoji38]ol:
Yes, but there are hundreds of thousands of footballers we could sign literally tonight.

It's getting quality that counts and maybe we are aiming too high - eg trying to drag a top midfielder away from Werder Bremen.

But let's have 2 or 3 more weeks of rolling the high dice and seeing if we get sixes.

I admit I lost sight of this with all the hints of a signing last week from the in-the-knowers which never happened in the end. And Huddersfield signing about 25 new players at the same time didn't exactly help.

But let's 'hold the nerve' and roll the dice a few more times.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but there are hundreds of thousands of footballers we could sign literally tonight.

It's getting quality that counts and maybe we are aiming too high - eg trying to drag a top midfielder away from Werder Bremen.

But let's have 2 or 3 more weeks of rolling the high dice at seeing if we get sixes.

I admit I lost sight of this with all the hints of a signing last week from the in-the-knowers which never happened in the end. And Huddersfield signing about 25 new players at the same time didn't exactly help.

But let's 'hold the nerve' and roll the dice a few more times.

I was joking! Too much wine tonight I'm afraid.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
The way I see it is our existing squad should be given the chance to prove themselves in the big league, the struggle and trepidation of our previous seasons in trying to get promotion, which we have all lived through and suffered, has ended, now we have another target or aim, that's to out football the opposition, we have arrived and there are seven or eight teams who will in all likelihood outfootball us, then there are six or seven sides who will be better than us but we will have chances to compete with them then there's the rest and us, we have to try to better their results against them and what they do against the better sides and while doing so we have a duty to try to play attractive football to satisfy the viewing public which is ultimately the cash cow funding our attempt to stay with the big boys. It is no longer a means to an end situation when the result is all that matters, our team impressed me a lot over the past two seasons with their ability and play, this squad is good but if they do fail individually, then better players will have to be singed to improve the team. Exciting times.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't agree at all, every point will be vital this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. We are allowed to put out a decent 11 for Man City etc even without any more signings at all
(Of course we will have new additions at some point) and it's 34 days away so hardly imminent

Ryan, Bruno, Duffy, dunk, rosenior, Stephens, sidwell, knockaert, march, gross, Murray.
Is where we are we now.

That 11 all have top flight / /international experience bar DS/dunk/march . We will strengthen but idea that Hughton isn't going to let last years squad show their hand (like Southampton, Burnley, Bournemouth in previous years) or that it's doomed to fail - alongside *some* new players - doesn't hold up.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
To draw analagies with previously promoted teams, it feels a bit like 'Udders are the new BMuff and we are the new Burnley - which is ok by me.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Yes. We are allowed to put out a decent 11 for Man City etc even without any more signings at all
(Of course we will have new additions at some point) and it's 34 days away so hardly imminent

Ryan, Bruno, Duffy, dunk, rosenior, Stephens, sidwell, knockaert, march, gross, Murray.
Is where we are we now.

That 11 all have top flight / /international experience bar DS/dunk/march . We will strengthen but idea that Hughton isn't going to let last years squad show their hand (like Southampton, Burnley, Bournemouth in previous years) or that it's doomed to fail - alongside *some* new players - doesn't hold up.

I think last seasons squad, will stay up, quite comfortably tbh, a few players to boost it as with last summer, will just make that a bit easier, provided they are the right players, players who have a team ethos above self.

We had that in spades last season, it is why other teams couldnt compete with us, Villa, Norwich, Derby etc despite spending more and perhaps having better individuals.

Yes we need a few more bodies, but they have to be the right ones.

We'll be fine.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Martin Braithwaite

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Is where we are we now.

Serious question do you think that 11 is an acceptable 11 to start with against Man City?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here