Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wot no thread about how much Stephens and Knockaert are on??

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
So weird seeing a Btighton player earning £45,000 a week ! Even if not totally true it will be near enough.
Don't think may people are querying that - that is a PL wage for a good player at a lower level club. It is the average first team player being on £25k a week this season that is nonsensical guff. More likely that £25k was the top end salary for players that signed new contracts - Dunk, Knocky etc. Average Championship salary is £12k a week and I can't imagine ours was much higher.

Scary figures from now on in though, I agree.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't think may people are querying that - that is a PL wage for a good player at a lower level club. It is the average first team player being on £25k a week this season that is nonsensical guff. More likely that £25k was the top end salary for players that signed new contracts - Dunk, Knocky etc. Average Championship salary is £12k a week and I can't imagine ours was much higher.

Scary figures from now on in though, I agree.

We were 10th in the Championship for wages.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ll-in-Championship-last-season&highlight=wage

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Dunk was on less than 25k a week last season, that doubles now we are Premier League.

Absolutely no chance, as others have pointed out, our average was 25k.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What I find really objectionable about this piece of tosh is the implication that we are so small time compared to clubs that pay players like Ibrahimovic such nonsensical amounts. Whereas it proves to me that we're acting sensibly and will continue to do so next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What I find really objectionable about this piece of tosh is the implication that we are so small time compared to clubs that pay players like Ibrahimovic such nonsensical amounts. Whereas it proves to me that we're acting sensibly and will continue to do so next season.
But oh boy, it'll be the greatest moment in club history when the plucky little scrappers from the south coast walk out at Old Trafford, for the first time. :facepalm:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

He seems to forget that we are paying Championship wages/bonuses on a Championship budget. To compare us with Man Utd who had a turnover of £800million 2016/2017 is ridiculous. If his point is the disparity between a top Prem team and a new Prem team then perhaps he should have waited until we have a Premier League budget. Of course there will still be a huge difference but at least he will be comparing 2 Premier League teams.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even if these figures are true, I still think the bonuses are not to be sniffed at.

The Sun article is aimed at Man U fans, not plucky us.

When Dale signed the other day, I did guess at £40K + a week but we are NOW in the Premier League, so we can expect to pay those wages.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I heard Jenas talking about Spurs' wages on the radio last night in the same vein. Generally, Jenas is ok on the radio, but he said:
- Spurs need big recruitment to go to the next level (really?)
- Spurs players "deserved" to be on about twice their current wage :)lolol::lolol:.)

Now you can make the point Spurs pay less than the others in the top 4, but rather than say this was to the Club's credit, he criticised Levy for it.

Too many snouts in the trough.

PG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely there must be some truth in the figures. I know its the Sun, but if it was complete rubbish the club would sue the paper.
What damages would The Sun have to pay?

The fact that papers like The Sun exist must mean it's pretty tricky to get money out of a paper that writes shit.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Just over £2.3m a year basic pay is a LOT of money for a club of our side but it goes to show Stephens importance to the team and it would probably have cost us significantly more to replace him. A great bit of business.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't believe any of it however plausible it looks. I don't believe anything that 'newspaper' writes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here