Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League Prize Money

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
This might sound like a daft question, but what are the differences in prize money paid out between the 3 promoted teams by 'The Premier League'? Im guessing 1st place get more money then 2nd place and the team promoted via the playoffs? (even though the playoff team must get extra income with the wembley games).

Or do all 3 teams get the same amount of money from the EPL and the difference in prize money is actually paid out by the EFL in where the teams finish this season?

If there is a something stupid like 1st place getting an extra £50million (from the EPL) then 2nd place to spend in the summer then that should be a massive incentive to finish 1st rather then settle for 2nd.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I find it incredible that even being prudent and only adding the bear minimum to give ourselves a chance at survival in the premier league is likely to involve transfer fees in the region of 40m.
No wonder you would be looking at the likes of Abraham from Chelsea on loan if you could.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As NSC's very own financial advisor, do you think the club can stand firm on their policy ( paying none or as little as possible ) with regards to agents fees or will they have to relent and pay stupid sums in order to get their man?

I'm pretty sure we will pay the going rate. I teach a few agents, so will be cautious in my comments, but there are good ones as well as bad ones. They are terrible gossips though!

In the last 12 months the Albion shelled out £1.5m in agent fees, some were for transfers, and some contract renewals. Agent Fees 2016-7.JPG

Agent deals 2016-7 Albion.JPG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This might sound like a daft question, but what are the differences in prize money paid out between the 3 promoted teams by 'The Premier League'? Im guessing 1st place get more money then 2nd place and the team promoted via the playoffs? (even though the playoff team must get extra income with the wembley games).

Or do all 3 teams get the same amount of money from the EPL and the difference in prize money is actually paid out by the EFL in where the teams finish this season?

If there is a something stupid like 1st place getting an extra £50million (from the EPL) then 2nd place to spend in the summer then that should be a massive incentive to finish 1st rather then settle for 2nd.

The EPL gives nothing to the teams promoted from the Championship. Once they are members of the PL all clubs get a cheque on 1 July, which (I think) is half of their minimum fee for 2017/18. They get the other part of the flat fee on January 1 and then the merit/prize money at the end of the season...but I may be wrong!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I suspect that because his agent knows this, he'll be pitching for part of this as a signing on fee for Dale, much as other clubs would offer something similar in lieu of the transfer fee. Plus the agent's fee.

PG

Absolutely, and if we keep DS it would be money well spent IMO.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The figures for playing in the PL are mind boggling. Don't forget that we need to ADD merchandise sales and improved sponsorship deals (something that, I believe, Paul B will excel in).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£3.5m shelled out by Forest. :lol:

Candbab.jpg

SAC

May 21, 2014
It is interesting and i will be following closely as to how it all pans out on a financial front,i am guessing (my own opinion only) that we will have a playing budget that makes us "competitive" as we normally seem to hear from the club,so with that in mind i am going for a playing budget (pure guesswork) (wages included) of £45M in our first season,that should see us strive to stay outside the bottom three..

Sunderland get £100m for effectively finishing last..

One thing is for sure,having got there,financially if we can't make it work now,we might never....think we will though,even if we come back down again.

The wage bill for this season is probably around £30 million, I would imagine that a fair number of players have promotion clauses in their contracts which would probably mean that this squad alone would be around £50 million next season.

My guess is that at least £30 million will need to be spent on players in (amortised over 4 seasons is £7.5 million) and an extra £15 million on wages taking the spending to £72.5 million in the first season.

Just my guess though. I suspect that most transfers will be listed as undisclosed leaving people here to argue how much was actually spent.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The figures for playing in the PL are mind boggling. Don't forget that we need to ADD merchandise sales and improved sponsorship deals (something that, I believe, Paul B will excel in).

I have total faith in PB and Dodge in that regard, but there is still a natural ceiling for a club of our stature.

What is frightening is the amount of money clubs manage to squeeze out of fans. Apologies for my lack of Excel skills (I do need to learn how to use the damn thing properly) but this is my master spreadsheet for the PL for last season, ranked on the amount of money a club makes per fan. Arsenal came top with over £2,000 per fan, which perhaps justifies a little the incessant whining you hear from them. Champions Leicester exploited fans the least out of the 18 clubs who have reported to date.

PL total figs 2016.JPG

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I'm not sure we'll get much more than an initial 'pop' on merchandise as fans go for the new shirts. It will be interesting to see if the club can develop a new overseas fan base to give an uplift but it's difficult to see how unless TB sells a stake to some big name Asian or such like

Sponsorship could get a nice lift, I've got a feeling the Amex shirt deal is up either this summer or next (not sure why I think that) so that could produce a decent gain

Corporate and hospitality will be an area that PB will push hard I think, demand will increase massively I suspect, as will pricing!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I'm pretty sure we will pay the going rate. I teach a few agents, so will be cautious in my comments, but there are good ones as well as bad ones. They are terrible gossips though!

In the last 12 months the Albion shelled out £1.5m in agent fees, some were for transfers, and some contract renewals.

Cheers. Interesting reading and compared to what may have to be paid out next season to get/keep our men last years figures will probably be a drop in the ocean.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

In the last 12 months the Albion shelled out £1.5m in agent fees, some were for transfers, and some contract renewals.

Cheers. Interesting reading and compared to what may have to be paid out next season to get/keep our men last years figures will probably be a drop in the ocean.

You're welcome. My day job, which is in the main about as good as it can get, has just darkened.

I am in the middle of marking 50 asssignments on the finances and value of a chosen football club, and the one I have just opened has THIS on the cover...and no mention of a small club. Palace Student Assignment.JPG

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Crazy the figures here... Only seems like yesterday that a Brighton fan had to win a Coca cola competition to get a 250k for Kazim Richards, which was a god send at the time.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-prize-money/ - Why does the 2nd place team get ore than first place for facilities fee for televised matches? 21m and 21.8 mill???

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Corporate and hospitality will be an area that PB will push hard I think, demand will increase massively I suspect, as will pricing!

Nothing to push is there? 1901 sold our for the next five years. We only have circa 20 boxes.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Nothing to push is there? 1901 sold our for the next five years. We only have circa 20 boxes.

I had it my mind that 1901 and Corporate were entirely different. I assumed that the boxes and trimmings were Corporate (or even individual) hospitality and sold on a season by season, or some on a match by match, basis.

The pricing for these at other clubs can be eye watering and I assumed playing in the Championship put a much lower limit on what could be expected in the Prem

Maybe my assumption of what we have is wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here