Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale Contract

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I can see the team wanting to stick together and maybe TB wasn't offering longer contracts so that if we didn't go up it would be easier for them to move on.
Now it comes down to loyalty and commitment to the club and oneself.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not disputing that but an 'extra' year comes at a quite significant cost.

Well, IF we are in the Prem, THEN I'm sure we can afford it...

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Don't want to make the same mistake as Gus did letting Murray go on a free and buying an expensive replacement in CMS, just for the sake of a few thousand pounds per week more! Extend his contract quickly!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Plenty of very good keepers around if he doesn't sign.

Finding a good keeper isn't as hard as it used to be.

Really... I think its much harder to find a top class keeper than it used to be.

Who would you suggest if its straight forward ?

Tell Man City and Pep good keepers are easy to find..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, IF we are in the Prem, THEN I'm sure we can afford it...
Which is exactly how you end up in shite creek without a paddle.

I'm amazed by how many posters think the club will suddenly start throwing around 'only' a million here and there.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Really... I think its much harder to find a top class keeper than it used to be.

Pep and city are crazy, his arrogance at how easy he thought the league would be meant he brought in that clown - and with all respect, City are batting at a higher level again.

I think basic keeping has improved massively, even if you look at the teams at the bottom of the PL they all have good keepers - Just off the top of my head someone like Vorm looks like he could be available in the summer - plus you then have the keepers that go down.

In the Championship you have - Ruddy, Bettinelli, Marshall who are all decent.

The back up keepers like Begović, Myhill, Alex Mccarthy who may fancy playing some games.

I am not saying losing Stockdale would not be a blow - but as positions go I think it is one of the easier positions to replace.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Man City aren't looking for a half decent Premier League goalkeeper.

Pep and city are crazy, his arrogance at how easy he thought the league would be meant he brought in that clown - and with all respect, City are batting at a higher level again.

I think basic keeping has improved massively, even if you look at the teams at the bottom of the PL they all have good keepers - Just off the top of my head someone like Vorm looks like he could be available in the summer - plus you then have the keepers that go down.

In the Championship you have - Ruddy, Bettinelli, Marshall who are all decent.

The back up keepers like Begović, Myhill, Alex Mccarthy who may fancy playing some games.

I am not saying losing Stockdale would not be a blow - but as positions go I think it is one of the easier positions to replace.

Marshall is the best keeper I've seen at the Amex in recent years

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Which is exactly how you end up in shite creek without a paddle.

I'm amazed by how many posters think the Club will suddenly start throwing around 'only' a million here and there.

I would be very, very surprised if there are not contract clauses for relegation. If we can afford to up their wages 50% whilst being in the Prem, then they have deserved it and we can afford it. There is no way our board are going to go all Chinese when we're hopefully in the top division.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would be very, very surprised if there are not contract clauses for relegation. If we can afford to up their wages 50% whilst being in the Prem, then they have deserved it and we can afford it. There is no way our board are going to go all Chinese when we're hopefully in the top division.

Paul Barber has spoken about this but a few years ago and in the context of parachute payments and not about Brighton. He said it's unlikely players will accept relegation clauses.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think Stockdale may be off, along with Stephens. I'm not basing that on anything at all other than a gut feeling. Walton is progressing excellently and there are 'keepers out there available (2nd choice wanting first choice etc) but maybe the club feels his skillset will be exposed against Premier league strikers? I don't know...

I'd be sad to see him go though. He's been a superb 'keeper and an excellent servant to the club.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sauce?

You may be right, but I find it hard to believe that we would only offer 1 year to someone who has had an outstanding year for us and would either be a decent Number 1 in the Premier League or even if we found another top keeper, you would want him there as competition / cover.

I personally think a one year contract with an option for a second would be smart for any player towards the end of their contract right now. We simply have no idea who will make the step up and who won't. 1 year to prove you're good enough. The only problem with that is if we go down and find ourselves needing to replace people.

I would expect him to want to be no 1 somewhere at his age and stage of his career. He was 32 in January.

Or maybe quadrupling his money, along with the chance to play in the Champions League and win one of the cups would appeal to him more. 2 years at Chelsea sets him and his family up for life, and would still give him a couple more years of football at the end of his career.

Plenty of very good keepers around if he doesn't sign.

Finding a good keeper isn't as hard as it used to be.

This with bells on.

All 3 potentially relegated teams have decent keepers, Fabianski & Pickford are both let down by shithouse defences, whilst Valdez is in a team who simply can't score. All 3 are considerably better than Stockdale IMHO. Then when it comes to back-up keepers, there's Vorm, Begovic, Grant/Butland, Stekelenburg etc.

I'd argue that all of the above are an upgrade on Stockdale,apart from Grant who's about equal.

Ha, yes. That's true. I was referring more to if we decided we'd like to upgrade. I think that'd be quite a hard task.

I honestly think if he was a stone lighter he may be England's best goalkeeper. Shot stopping and general handling, distribution, composure, footwork, decision making blah blah...he might not be the fastest out the gates but realistically there isn't many better that would be a realistic acquisition for us.

Needs a new deal however possible.

(Aware I may be a little OTT).

You think he'd be better than Pickford, Hart, Forster & Butland?

Brave call.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Paul Barber has spoken about this but a few years ago and in the context of parachute payments and not about Brighton. He said it's unlikely players will accept relegation clauses.

Yes, I heard him say exactly the same thing at a Q & A session, with the supporters' club. Agents won't let their players sign contracts with those clauses.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Would you accept a clause in your contract that states in 12 months time your wage might be slashed dramatically?

If I was on a performance contract I would be playing for more money, so if I under performed then I would know what to expect. Any other job where you under perform you get your P45!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
I would expect him to want to be no 1 somewhere at his age and stage of his career. He was 32 in January.

I said this about Maenpaa and possibly not signing a new contract not David Stockdale.

As regards players and relegation clauses I was told that when Burnley got promoted to the Premier their wages were all doubled for those that had played so many games but reduced back down when they got relegated. Presumably it went back up on promotion again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here