Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proper journalism - well done C4 News

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why would you hope they lose their deposits? Do you want to stifle alternative views?

With the system that we have, their voices will never be heard to the degree that they should be...but it is NOT all about 'The Party', or shouldn't be. It's about what people stand for.

To me, the EU and our place in it (or relationship with it) is by far the most important issue of our times. Of course I will support the parties whose position on this issue I agree with.
I have no wish to stifle alternative views - but I retain the right to consider some of them as rubbish. The idea of the future of Britain in the hands of the Greens or the Lib Dems fills me with dread - or at least it would if I thought there was even the slightest possibility of that happening.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Because he is a joke of a politician and we all need a laugh?

if that is that the best you can come up with then I rest my case

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You don't want a pro-EU fanatic running your vision of the Labour Party then? Make your mind up.

Oh dear God...

No, I don't want any old 'pro-EU fanatic' running the Labour Party. Much as I think that it is the most important issue, I don't think that it is the only one.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have no wish to stifle alternative views - but I retain the right to consider some of them as rubbish. The idea of the future of Britain in the hands of the Greens or the Lib Dems fills me with dread - or at least it would if I thought there was even the slightest possibility of that happening.

Obviously that is your right.

It is also my right to consider your views on the EU as 'rubbish'.

D

Deleted member 22389

Utter garbage. 65% of Labour voters voted Remain and Corbyn has lost huge swathes of support due to his post Referendum support for the complete clusterfvck that Brexit will be. I was a member of the Labour Party, but have left due to his stance. I was not a 'plastic'.

He has not backed Brexit 'reluctantly', he has always supported it.

The support for Corbyn and the Labour Party is now negligible, and you claim that what he did was politically astute?

Yes because most of their voters had cleared off, like myself who voted for UKIP. I Will never ever vote for the Labour Party again, in fact my vote for UKIP will be the last time I vote for anyone.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My view on the EU is, 'we're leaving'. Which, as a matter of fact, is a,,,,,err,,,,,fact..................................

Happy days!

Not sure I get the joy in it. It is a political decision that you agree with, but it is filled with uncertainty. There is no joy in uncertainty even if you agree with the end result. I don't get the celebratory attitude. If not much changes to our public funding, which it appears from both sides it doesn't look like it will, or certainly not up at any rate, then we still face the very real crises of our NHS, education, our police forces etc. These aren't happy days to come, because the only difference most of us will realise, is that our kids in school no longer have an ICT suite, or get taught music or drama, or have any new books. Happy Days. Really...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not sure I get the joy in it. It is a political decision that you agree with, but it is filled with uncertainty. There is no joy in uncertainty even if you agree with the end result. I don't get the celebratory attitude. If not much changes to our public funding, which it appears from both sides it doesn't look like it will, or certainly not up at any rate, then we still face the very real crises of our NHS, education, our police forces etc. These aren't happy days to come, because the only difference most of us will realise, is that our kids in school no longer have an ICT suite, or get taught music or drama, or have any new books. Happy Days. Really...
This with knobs on. I understand people who voted to leave are happy that they won but the view of many seem to be out at any cost. Any concerns are pointed to the 52/48 result which implies that the 52% voted with the implicit knowledge of what would follow. If I voted for a motion that guaranteed I would lose weight, I would be slightly miffed if the solution was to lop my head off. I do get the feeling that some people would justify it as saving on hat costs.

Still, at least the NHS will be able to reattach it with the £350m a week they will be getting.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Labour fined £20,000 for undeclared election spending including for Ed Stone

After the commission launched its investigation, the party undertook an internal review, unearthing 24 other undeclared election expenses totalling £109,777.

However, the commission’s investigation then identified 49 further missing payments totalling £11,357 that related to the transport of the party’s activists on the Labour Express tour and Labour Students tour during the election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ared-election-spending-including-for-ed-stone

Lib Dems fined £20,000 for undeclared election spending
Electoral Commission fines party for failing to declare 307 payments totalling £184,676

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-fined-20000-for-undeclared-election-spending

You are dreadful with your posts, but at least you're patently transparent. But I'll give this one to you. That really is funny.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes because most of their voters had cleared off, like myself who voted for UKIP. I Will never ever vote for the Labour Party again, in fact my vote for UKIP will be the last time I vote for anyone.

Does this mean that you've abandoned your prior commitment to democracy? Or this particular representative variant of it?
You may differ on this point, but my view is that UKIP constitutes a step in the direction of abandoning democracy. We also are living through extremely unstable times, and our political and/or democratic decisions become all the more important in such a situation.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
PS how is the focus on proper journalism going on in this thread? It seems a phenomenon worth considering in our current conjuncture. May I again endorse the recent work of Carole Cadwalladr which goes a long way to explain why we are where we currently are.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You've got what you want, but remind me of how things are going for UKIP at the mo.
PS the answer is the same as it's ever been, except somebody is behind the scenes waiting to see if he should stick or twist

I'm really not that bothered how things are going at UKIP now - as you say I got what I wanted and Her Majesty rubber stamped it today. My vote for UKIP was tactical as I didn't believe the Tories would hold the referendum unless put under pressure.

I note both the Lib Dems and Better Together have also been fined by the commission in the past so this anti-Tory stuff should really be aimed at all the parties.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
seems an odd situation for a constituency MP to be responsible for expenses they may not have had any control over, coming from central party planning. for one thing, its ripe for manipulation as long as your "seen" to not be spending in the constituency, example of Ramsgate, if they'd stayed 50 miles away rather than 5, no one would link them.

Yes. I actually have more than a degree of sympathy with the individual consistency MP's who may end up getting thrown under the bus to protect the central party that has been at best extremely careless and at worst outright corrupt.

However, the further C4 have investigated this story (to the general indifference of most other media outlets and the set against the righteous indignation of the Tory party) the worse and worse it looks.

It only provides me some mild annoyance that Nigel Farage may have been right - http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/police-probe-election-fraud-allegations-36864/

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm really not that bothered how things are going at UKIP now - as you say I got what I wanted and Her Majesty rubber stamped it today. My vote for UKIP was tactical as I didn't believe the Tories would hold the referendum unless put under pressure.

I note both the Lib Dems and Better Together have also been fined by the commission in the past so this anti-Tory stuff should really be aimed at all the parties.

I wonder if you'll agree that we live in very interesting times, and extremely unstable times?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Tory party fined £70,000.

They surely knew what they were doing,so what is the point of a fine ? The only way to deal with any party that behaves this way is a By-election ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here