Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs: England's Mountains Green

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm still shocked by [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] using the word defenestration before dinner. A great word that I have never come across before and can't wait to use in the pub.

Unfortunately it was used inappropriately this evening, as our little foxes got themselve a handy away goal in a close game. I may have to defenestrate myself for my slackadaisical insouciance.

ps Mrs Tackle says I often use defenestration wrongly, because you cannot be defenestrated out of doors. Bloody pedant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Much as I love the Amex, it is a bit incongruous surrounded by Downland. Imagine he hates it being there.

What like Falmer Parish Council.

Their only concern about the hotel was the hope that it wouldn't spoil their view of the stadium. :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
������

Sadly that's not a joke.
It was the reply Martin Perry got in his courtesy meeting with them.

I have no idea how the poor bloke isn't currently serving life without parole.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is indeed one of the places I need to visit, it looked spectacular.
Stat does the heavy lifting so you don't have too!!

Having banged the drum for KV, I realised we hadn't been for years, so have just got back, with a bazillion photos:-

WP_20170223_001.jpg

WP_20170223_003.jpg

WP_20170223_009.jpg

WP_20170223_030.jpg

WP_20170223_036.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed the show however agree that at times it was not clear for a while exactly where he was particularly when he mentioned the Weald.

The programme was based on the geographical area of the South Downs National Park. This includes a bit of Hampshire called the Western Weald, which was originally intended to be left out of the National Park but, at the last minute, was included, when the government took the decision about the boundaries.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Just watched this on iPlayer.

Fantastic programme, beautifully showcasing plenty I already knew about the downs, but plenty I didn't too. I feel a bit restless if I haven't had a wander up at Firle Beacon or around the Cuckmere Haven of a weekend, but this has inspired me to head further west too. Kingley Vale looks particularly good - thanks for the photos Stat Brother, I may well venture there this weekend (though expect it to be busy!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just watched this on iPlayer.

Fantastic programme, beautifully showcasing plenty I already knew about the downs, but plenty I didn't too. I feel a bit restless if I haven't had a wander up at Firle Beacon or around the Cuckmere Haven of a weekend, but this has inspired me to head further west too. Kingley Vale looks particularly good - thanks for the photos Stat Brother, I may well venture there this weekend (though expect it to be busy!)
Plenty more were they came from!!

I'd recommend holding off for a couple of weeks.
Unsurprisingly it was still somewhat wintery today, but the ground was full of inch high bluebells.
When they, along with everything else, are flowering KV takes on a whole new lease of life.

WP_20170223_022.jpg

WP_20170223_038.jpg

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Some seriously poor errors in there. I'm sure he identified the Cuckmere River as the Ouse at one point and totally denied the existence of the North Downs. Right at the start he called Beachy Head the Seven Sisters, too. Made me wonder if the bits I didn't know about before were factual or not. I'm pleased to see that Kingley Vale is real, though!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
super programme

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here